Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Whole is not Equal to the Sum of its Parts.  (Read 2727 times)

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
The Whole is not Equal to the Sum of its Parts.
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »

Does anyone find it rather ominous that the price of crew is dirt cheap while harvested organs can easily fetch thousands per unit?

Seriously, the current metagame is to get enough money to smuggle, and then SMUGGLE ALL THE ORGANS for that delicious hedgemoney.

... When is industry getting any skills?

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Whole is not Equal to the Sum of its Parts.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »

Harvested organs are only so expensive because they are quite a delicacy. Yum...

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 03:02:43 AM »

I'd be surprised if by some point we don't get to see some implied kidnapping/organ harvesting.

After all, the game just got a roster of proper personnel transport ships........

Or maybe this is just an overlook and those cruise liners really do ferry people on trips.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:08:19 AM by Sabaton »

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 04:45:04 AM »

I'm imagining a that a crew member has less than one crateful of organs in them. I mean, the average weight of a person's organs is going to be less than 10 kg. One unit of organs is probably like... a couple dozen people's worth.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 04:59:57 AM »

Good point. Cargo could be measured in tons.

It's also not just a simple matter of slicing a dude open in an alley, pinching his kidneys and running off cackling. You have to have access to a whole medical unit, corrupt doctors as well as the technology for mass medical storage and transporation. And the unwilling subjects. Not to mention the crime cartel tax. Black market goods throughout history have always come with a heavy, heavy mark-up.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »

I'm imagining a that a crew member has less than one crateful of organs in them. I mean, the average weight of a person's organs is going to be less than 10 kg. One unit of organs is probably like... a couple dozen people's worth.
i was about to point this out as well. we don't really know how much "one unit" of Harvested Organs is. since a Tarsus or Buffalo could carry 300 of these, assuming no cargo space is used for Supplies or other goods, i think it's safe to say that one unit is a lot more than what you'd get by harvesting the useful organs of one person.

a ton might be a bit much. that hound doesn't look like it could fit 75 tons of cargo in it without going over capacity (aka putting it somewhere other than the dedicated storage area). of course, that's assuming the scale of that artwork accurately represents its in-game stats, which it might not.

cargo space is also probably meassured in volume, rather than weight.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 08:08:35 AM »

Highly probable, you can say. We have metal(with rare metal presumably including heavy metal) and volatile as items and they both fit into same space.

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:09:43 AM »

i was about to point this out as well. we don't really know how much "one unit" of Harvested Organs is. since a Tarsus or Buffalo could carry 300 of these, assuming no cargo space is used for Supplies or other goods, i think it's safe to say that one unit is a lot more than what you'd get by harvesting the useful organs of one person.

a ton might be a bit much. that hound doesn't look like it could fit 75 tons of cargo in it without going over capacity (aka putting it somewhere other than the dedicated storage area). of course, that's assuming the scale of that artwork accurately represents its in-game stats, which it might not.

cargo space is also probably meassured in volume, rather than weight.

Well you can't necessarily tell how much a ship can carry from looking at it, that and you are in space so all a heavy load'll do is slow you down, not pop your wheels off.