Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Boarding overhaul (same mechanic, change in numbers based on crew/ship)  (Read 1404 times)

RickyRio

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Just some ideas about how more depth could be added to boarding without making a new game mechanic.

Ships:

Ships could have a "boarding multiplier" that determines how hard they are to board, ie: all boarding actions against this ship get multiplied by .75
this allows civilian ships to be much easier to board (they could have a positive multiplier) while military ships would often be much harder

Some ships could be made for boarding actions, and have an innate hull mod that modifies your own boarding chance.

Crew and marines:

I am not sure how the numbers work currently but for the defending ship I would make sure that their defense is based on the crew and marines they still have alive.

Numbers thrown at the wall

Green crew = .5
Crew = 1
Vet Crew = 2
Elite Crew = 3
Marines = 5

Then the attacking marines get summed up against the defending crew, relevant multipliers applied and random elements added.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Boarding overhaul (same mechanic, change in numbers based on crew/ship)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »

I really like this idea and it doesn't *seem* to require too many changes to the current implementation.

The only thing is that there isn't much more interaction then the current mechanic.  You get to see more detail in the boarding mechanics (which I think is pretty cool!) and make a decision on whether to proceed based on the odds, rather than rolling a dice and hoping it will work out; but i'm not sure if it is enough to sway Alex to put it in.

But any improvement in this mechanic is good in my books so fingers crossed!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:26:57 PM »

This is more or less exactly how the current system works, minus the "always lose 1/3rd of marines" bug, and minus any hull-specific multipliers on either side. Which are a neat idea in and of themselves, but probably not worth an additional stat on the ship info. Could see doing it via built-in hullmods, though, so that it's not a top-level stat, but a hullmod signals when it's different from the default value. Was thinking about this myself, actually :)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:54:40 AM »

I still think we should be able to do something in battle to influence the ships we can get an opportunity to board post-battle. As in using specific weaker weapons that would disable them instead of destroying them or something.