Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wait  (Read 3243 times)

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
Wait
« on: November 26, 2015, 10:31:33 PM »

Allow us to wait in an allied market for a certain amount of time, either to wait for a bounty, market's stocks to be updated, a mission, or whatever. While the player is waiting, have the ships cost lowers supplies or whatever, and maybe for the next couple of days have the crew be "fresh" for a CR bonus.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Wait
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »

would be very nice, as it is if you get cornered by a faster fleet you can't fight you are screwed even within the arms of a friendly station.

i assume anyway that the majority of them have defenses, as most of them (looking at you, hidden pirate base) would simply get blasted first chance anyone gets otherwise.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:39:02 PM »

Good idea. Make it cost a bit of money per day to stay docked instead of CR degradation and supply use. Maybe half?

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 02:28:55 AM »

sounds good.

and i think NPC fleets should do the same. it feels weird that traders have to flee when they see me (playing as a Pirate) approaching a market they are supposedly docked at. so NPC fleets that offload cargo or are "standing down from patrol duty" should disappear for a couple days, and not leave again until it's safe. or maybe it would be better if they just become invulnerable (with a clear visual indication) so that the player can still see them while docked.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 04:38:58 AM »

+1; I totally agree with both waiting for the player and waiting for local merchants.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 04:44:09 AM »

I think this may become a non-issue if stations can partake in battles. Which will probably, hopefully, eventually be the case :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 07:32:42 AM »

Gothars how will this become a non issue based on that? I don't see it.

So let me get this straight, as it is now the clock doesn't tick at all when you do all this stuff at a market? trading? refitting? ship buying? Going around talking to people and getting missions? Really all that loading and unloading should take like a whole day minimum.

And as a way for newbies to hide from fleets chasing them it makes sense.  It's what you'd intuitively expect to happen.

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »

I think this may become a non-issue if stations can partake in battles. Which will probably, hopefully, eventually be the case :)

My original thought was not to use this to avoid battle, just to wait for things. I often find myself sitting in friendly space using something to hold down the shift key for me, and as you can expect, that can get really annoying. So this was just meant to pass time, not avoid enemies, though that could be done. I don't see how by adding enemies to attack stations, this would become a non-issue.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 01:24:23 PM »

Well, maybe "non-issue" was too strong a word. In response to this

would be very nice, as it is if you get cornered by a faster fleet you can't fight you are screwed even within the arms of a friendly station.
and i think NPC fleets should do the same. it feels weird that traders have to flee when they see me (playing as a Pirate) approaching a market they are supposedly docked at. so NPC fleets that offload cargo or are "standing down from patrol duty" should disappear for a couple days, and not leave again until it's safe. or maybe it would be better if they just become invulnerable (with a clear visual indication) so that the player can still see them while docked.

my thought was that if you flee from a enemy to a station, you'd not have to wait him out (which IMO is about the most boring thing that can happen in a game) or flee, but you could attack him there and then. The friendly station would  join on your side (up to the same range allies join battles now) and send fighter wings or some such to help.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 02:12:27 PM »

Well, maybe "non-issue" was too strong a word. In response to this

my thought was that if you flee from a enemy to a station, you'd not have to wait him out (which IMO is about the most boring thing that can happen in a game) or flee, but you could attack him there and then. The friendly station would  join on your side (up to the same range allies join battles now) and send fighter wings or some such to help.

Yeah that would be cool but it would not make wait obsolete, if I could use it I would use it to wait for bounties and for the markets to refresh so I can get my beloved Apogee.

Why do I suck at quotes???
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:10:50 PM by Brad***mofo »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »

The friendly station would  join on your side (up to the same range allies join battles now) and send fighter wings or some such to help.
certainly sounds more fun than my suggestion, once (and if) we do get station fights. although it doesn't do anything for the original suggestion, which is actually about being able to wait. ^^