Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat effectiveness  (Read 1594 times)

CedricO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Combat effectiveness
« on: November 22, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »

can we remove the whole "you've been fighting to long so now your ships is ***" deal? engaging 3 ships, massively outgunned, killed one by moving around, second one critically damaged and then the third one kills me cuz of random malfunctions ... for what reason? i dont get it. Shouldnt players be rewarded for using tactics instead of punished for taking to long? Not like its PvP where just trolling could be a problem....

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Combat effectiveness
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:10:54 AM »

I feel more or less the same. CR timers just get in the way of playing the way I want to play.

But I've been told that its a deliberate means of forcing you to be aggressive AND preventing you from doing exactly what you said you were trying to do, because people were apparently pecking entire fleets apart with a single frigate before.
It never even crossed my mind to try doing that in a frigate tbh.

The only things you can do are:
  • Suck it and live with a gimpy ship for a battle and watch as it eats all your supplies afterwards.
  • Chain your ships by calling in a single reinforcment transferring your command to it, then telling the previous one to retreat.
  • Dogpile every enemy fleet with a massive rush of ships all at once so the battle lasts seconds, and just deal with the inevitable losses.

It's not going to go anywhere.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:14:38 AM »

Combat effectiveness point IS to force you to think, and not just outmanuever people with run-away tactics.

Also, if you CAN run-away, you can use this in your favour (example: I won a fight with the starting merchant ship against 3 luddites by running away from them constantly until they can out of CR, THEN I turned on them and killed them fast as I could before my own CR started to deplete).

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »

Also, if you CAN run-away, you can use this in your favour (example: I won a fight with the starting merchant ship against 3 luddites by running away from them constantly until they can out of CR, THEN I turned on them and killed them fast as I could before my own CR started to deplete).

That's pretty cool, didn't think of exploiting the weakness of safety overrides that way!

On topic: yeah, it's not gonna go away. Basically it is a method to ensure that you can't totally screw up the campaign balance with great combat skills. Before, defeating fleets with single frigates in a tedious process was the "optimal way" to play, as in the one where you got most of your ingame-investment.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »

If you add hardened subsystems to your ship you can usually far outlast your opponent, it might help. Combat readiness was put in because people could solo the entire Hegemony defense fleet with a single tempest. i can't find that video, but i know it is around here somewhere.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »

That's pretty cool, didn't think of exploiting the weakness of safety overrides that way!

On topic: yeah, it's not gonna go away. Basically it is a method to ensure that you can't totally screw up the campaign balance with great combat skills. Before, defeating fleets with single frigates in a tedious process was the "optimal way" to play, as in the one where you got most of your ingame-investment.

Yes, I was very proud of myself when I pulled that stunt =D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »

Lately, ammo for most weapons that used to have them have been abstracted as combat readiness.