Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 0.7a Trade changes  (Read 6329 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: 0.7a Trade changes
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »

Now that even trade disruptions have much thinner margins, would it be alright to reduce the tariffs a bit (say 20%)?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 08:23:27 PM »

I find that trade works - but I have done so opportunistically. There are some pretty reliable sources of cheap supplies/fuel/heavy machinery to build up a stock. I then sell whenever I happen across a market with a high prices. Sometime it takes a long time before an opportunity opens up, but thats ok for me because I'm doing this on the side between bounties. I'm not sure how fun pure trader right now would be because of the wait but its def possible.

Oh, and sell on the black market. Legal trading is for chumps :P.

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 10:11:10 AM »

I have yet to find a legal trade route that would turn any significant profit. So far I've only been able to run a small profit on the black market. But not enough to make it worth it.
I don't really mind that much, bounty hunting and doing quests is more fun and much more rewarding anyway. But it does seem weird to me to have this awesome dynamic economy set up, and then making it almost completely irrelivant to the game experience.

(ofcourse it's entirely possible I have just missed some super obvious trading opportunities)

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »

i am doing rather well in my current play through, Agreus had a market disruption that lowered the price of supplies to 6 per unit. then ratatosk had a supply disruption that jumped their prices up to 440. combine that with black market trading... ahhahahah!

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 10:25:06 AM »

Still, I know the intention of trading being difficult was to make smuggling more worthwhile, to encourage combat potential with factions...

Still, I think trade should be made easier, and specially profitable if you have huge trading fleets (example: trading with a port huge amount of goods at once lower you tariffs), then encourage pirates to hunt those huge fleets, thus you achieve both objectives (trading become fun, with the more you get money, the more profit is your potential, but also become more risky, with larger cargoes attracting combat).

Right now you need to luck out too much, and is easy to get stuck (ie: you don't have sufficient money to expand your cargo space to use some opportunities, or don't have money to buy the requried goods... For example maybe you noticed you could profit 2000 per piece of some high-priced good traded, but you have money only to buy 2, making the trip not worthwhile in terms of supplies and fuel).
Pages: 1 [2]