Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get started? Halp?  (Read 8650 times)

Quatrix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How to get started? Halp?
« on: November 21, 2015, 09:07:58 AM »

I played Starsector before and I wasn't really that good then, but when I got the email that this game got an update I wanted to jump right back in. But now I simply am lost... I can't get started at all! Every time, I mean EVERY TIME I somehow lose really early on!  :'(

I wanted to start on Iron Mode and just keep playing when I lost, to make it "immersive", but I quickly realized that was an ENORMOUSLY bad idea, considering how little I know about the new gameplay systems and all the new stuff that got added. So, I switched Iron Mode off and started over, only to get wrecked after a good fight. My CR was down since it was a long battle and then a big fleet pops out of nowhere on my way back to the station and I can't run. Then I tried different ways of going about the game.

I tried going trader...   Can't get enough money to support me.

I cautiously tried bounty hunting...   I can't find the pirates quickly enough and the bounty time runs out before I made a real profit.
-> end up supply starved as well.

I tried smuggling/hunting at the same time...   aaaand got both problems.

I just don't know what to do at the start of the game, I either end up starved of supplies because I was searching for a fleet that won't completely wreck me, or - when I say "f**k it I can take 'em if I play right" - I get a**blasted by missiles or something. I really want to enjoy this game, but I need some strategy or just SOMETHING I can hold on to so it doesn't look so hopeless!  :-\

I dream of a large trading fleet that has freighters with little fighter decks and small frigates so I can defend myself and then one big flagship I command. But I don't know how to get there, especially after the new "hide and seek" update!  :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:11:13 AM by Quatrix »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How to get started? Halp?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »

I haven't played the campaign enough yet to provide a full guide, but i learned a few tricks.

-Keep the transponder on in "civilized" systems (corvus, askonia, magec...), the local authority won't bother you and can even help if you're getting attacked. Following the patrols is a safe way to travel. On the other hand, (almost) nobody is going to bother you in hyperspace and you'd rather stay unnoticed from pirates, so turn it off. Bear in mind that some systems are more or less abandoned except for pirates (Duzahk, Penelope's Star) so no reason to keep it on there either.

-Watch your steps! Hyperspace nebulas/storms/star's corona/ions storms can seriously screw your fleet. There's usually a safe road in hyperspace from a system to another, it may be a bit longer but at least you won't bleed supplies/fuel.

-Civilian crafts (look for the hullmods when you want to buy a ship) shines like a firework on everyone's radar. A smaller cargo space is sometimes preferable over attracting unwanted attention.

-Don't go near Eos Exodus until you have 3/4 combat ships, the Luddic path will make your life miserable.

-Following patrols is a good way to catch pirates targets.

-When in doubt, emergency burn.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »

IMO a very easy start is to:

- choose the trader start, with the 'high value cargo' (lobsters). The starter ship is a great smuggling ship; fast, with adequate cargo space.
- Immediately sell the lobsters on Jangala's blackmarket. (early on the rep. hit for smuggling is irrelevant - you need money). Depending on market conditions, this should earn 10-20k
- Go to Chicomoztoc in the Aztlan star system, and look at the missions. (option 1. -> missions)
- You want Organs, or Drugs runs - preferably ones that pay at least market price x3.
- Learn to manage the use of your transponder, silent running & emergency burn to avoid engagements. If you do get engaged, just burn drive to the top of the map & retreat.

Chicomoztoc has an endless supply of Organs/Drugs, so you can comfortably keep doing this until you're rich enough to pimp out your ride.
What you go for is up to you; Enforcers are cheap, capable, and still fast enough to do missions.
Though they're extremely vulnerable to EMP ganking, so be very weary of pirate fleets if they've got both EMP and numerical advantage.

Once you're comfortable with the power level of the fleet, earn XP to level up from either pirate bounties, legit trading, or become a pirate yourself.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:33:29 AM by TJJ »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »

For trading, try your luck with missions. Go to the comm interface (1) of a planet or station and look for a procurement contract for something that you can easily get your hands on, like fuel or supplies. Illegals bring in more, but best buy those before even accepting the mission, if you can get it close by. That's a fast way to get enough money to cover your costs and even upgrade your fleet.

For bounties, they actually really easy to find, because the description in the intel menu tells you where you have to look. There's something like "rumored to be hiding in the near vicinity of planet x", and that's where they will be. Just get in carefully so you can check out their strength before committing your fleet, you can get nasty surprises otherwise.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:37:30 AM »

I found that bounty hunting early in corvus helps. Finding pirate fleets can be a bit of a pain, but if you sit in hyperspace near the star and use the sensor boost, it basically  tells nearby pirates where you are. when i did it yesterday, i got at least 7 pirate scouts to come my way one by one. it gave me enough time to repair between battles, too. and uhh... its pretty risky if you get caught by a huge fleet while sensor boost being active. so if you try that be careful!

I still haven't figured out what to do to sneak by the patrols when i try smuggling, i get caught. ALOT.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »

I still haven't figured out what to do to sneak by the patrols when i try smuggling, i get caught. ALOT.
Don't turn off your transponder UNTIL you reach the destination! Also when you do reach it, go dark instead as you don't need to move much most of the time AND it decreases the range at which you can be detected at by HALF!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 02:36:06 PM »

Get a Wolf and equip it with 1 Graviton beam and 3 Tac lasers - other than facing rare Salamander equipped ships this setup will allow you to pop enemy frigates and fighters with impunity. Both Asharu and Jangala will put out bounties so wait until those go out and then start hunting near the Barad A/B for small pirate frigate fleets and farm up the money.

For real, the laser Wolf is amazing early game for hunting small pirate fleets.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »

If you need to decide which major faction to support after early-game because reputation is rising, pick Hegemony.  They control more systems and have multiple military markets.  Other factions have less of a presence and have only one military market.  Luddic Church and Tri-Tachyon are near the edge of the map, far from many systems.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »

if you decide to go bounty hunting again/ just straight murdering another faction, scope out your enemy, and adjust your fleet to counter, if they have lots of unshielded ships, add some ion cannons or other EMP weapons, these are incredibly debilitating against unshielded foes, or if the opponent doesn't have Omni or 360° shielding plan around this using a fast moving strike vessel, to maneuver around distracted targets and deliver payloads right up their unprotected arse.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »

Played a bit. Died horribly and starved to death first 4 or 5 attempts, but I have a game where I am at least surviving for now. Got two wolfs and a hound, and a good 30k in the bank, with ~100 extra supplies or so. Not really comfortable, but not in a death spiral yet either.
A couple things I think help out a bit.
----
Combat-wise, Starting with the wolf, I find unloading 2-4 harpoons at point blank range is obscenely effective, even if they have shields up. If they lose shields first, better. At point blank range, they can't dodge, use Point defence, or anything, and it costs you zero flux, but they take a chunk of damage. It can easily be enough to push them to overload, which tends to result in victory. It can easily turn a 2v1 or 3v1 into something more manageable.
That Annilator rocket pods are similarly effective, but are designed for the role. They don't home, but with enemy point defence and dodging, harpoons are not that reliable at range either. At point blank range, its similar in effect, but you get 10 vollys per weapon.

Still trying to find a reaper torpedo or two, or else sabots. Either would likely help. Reapers at point blank range pretty much instantly overload most ships, or for unshielded ships, tear away all their armor and most of their health. Two of them is enough for a kill in most cases.

I've had little success with the other starting ships. No shield, so I can't really skirmish, break off, and come back again. Armor doesn't regenerate after all.
----
Using Safety overide gives you more flux, and more imporantly, more speed to play with, allowing to RUN AWAY. This is probably one of the most important abilities in the game early on. If you get jumped by 6 frigates when you only have one, being able to simply retreat is invaluable. Any ship you don't expect to participate in combat needs this, so it can just flee retreating battles.
----
Trading wise, I generally find early on a few short-lived trade opportunities between pirate and lawful factions. Generally fuel or supplies have large discrepensies, but other stuff can be such as well. Make sure you (ab)use transponder status to avoid pirate attention, while turning it on when heading back to civilized space. Probably only a profit margin of 10-20%, but can help alot. Probably got 5k from trading supplies and fuel this way.
----
Bounty-searching. travel around, and if you see any friendly fleets chasing pirates around, try to join in. If you intercept the pirate a little ahead of them, they can join in. If they engage first, unless its like 10 ships vs 1 pirate, join in, and try to kill-steal for bounty/loot. Either way, you get support and get bounty/loot from pirates.
----
Do not buy extra ships until you have at least 2-3x that much cash in the bank. You want to try to get and keep ~20k credits minimum for resupply, ideally 50k (and increasing as the campaign goes on). Make sure you use the abandoned station in, I think, Corvus, or else buy access to another station to keep loot until you find a profitable place to sell it. Many items will be almost worthless if sold to some stations, but other stations will pay a premium. Also save lots of fuel and supplies. You will need both, since if a system calms down you have to travel to another one.

Try to keep a wolf in storage if you can, so that if you get destroyed, you can recover.
If your cash reserves drop below around 10k, you will only be able to get 100 supplies, which is not a good situation to be in.
----
Do not buy any civilian class ships. Get extra wolfs, cerberus, hounds, etc. Max speed military type ships. The latter two have good storage early on, and are able to fight reasonably well. The wolf is as above.
 Civilian ships make you easier to spot and tend to be slower, so are to be avoided until you start building up a fleet. Don't be afraid to throw out a bunch of loot, its better than the costs of bringing civilian craft along.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »

It's important when you do combat in a Wolf that you know your ranges. Be at a range that, if you vent, you're far enough away that by flying backwards you'll be able to have your shields up again / be able to warp once Harpoon missiles are close. Don't vent a full flux bar only half a screen away from a missile-loaded Lasher.

Watch out for Cerberus and other ships with Safety Overrides. They'll just get all up on your face and you'll wonder what the hell happened. Never let yourself be surrounded.

Get 3x Tactical Lasers as soon as possible. These things absolutely take apart all ships that don't have a shield and will put pressure on the rest. If you're fairly agile with your Wolf, then resist the temptation to put Point Defense AI on it. PDAI will make your Tac Lasers much less effective because even with improved gyros, they're not fast enough to handle missiles. They'll just flick on and off a whole lot instead of steadily killing those fighters that fired the missiles at you in the first place.

If the odds are bad but manageable (say 1 against 4), try to take out the first enemy or two quickly and aggressively. Shieldless Lashers and Cerberus work best here obviously.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 10:11:39 PM »

Also remember that "losing" in this game is just another chance to start over with your existing perks and whatever favor you've earned with factions. So it's not all bad. I played a character that must've died ten times or so. Eventually got tired of dying and started fresh, but it was definitely doable to eventually make progress.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Quatrix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 04:00:43 AM »

Wow, thanks guys! I got started as well now. I used TJJ's start trick to get some early money and did some "not so legal" missions which turned out to be really lucrative. Now I am mainly doing legal stuff so I won't get in trouble with the Hegemony, but I got a Mule as my Flagship, a Condor-class carrier with Piranha, Dagger AND Thunder Fighters.  ;D Still got 96k in the bank so I'm set for now! Thanks again  :-*

EDIT: I have to note every tip in this thread helped, not just TJJ. I am now keeping a really close eye on whether or not my Transponder is currently on, and where I am actually going (I didn't even notice that would suck up supplies, I thought it was only a slow down)... No more Hyperspace Storms and Coronas for me, lol
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:09:43 AM by Quatrix »

Rap1d

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »

I'd like to revive this thread by a question - what's next? I got about 600 in my bank, I got lvl 10 combat and technology, and I have been using the same ship (A medusa) + two stealth frigates every single fight, no matter how large the fleet is. No market I check sells capital ships or cruisers that I'd like to buy, so I'm kind of lost. I was used to Starsector+ and Nexerlin, so I did the whole join a faction then take over other stations/planets with marines until I conquered the galaxy, but there is nothing like that in vanilla as far as I'm aware, am I missing something? What's the winning condition? How do I progress to having a capital ship and a more respectable fleet?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 01:18:59 PM »

Starsector isn't finished and theres no way to "win" the game right now. Playing the campaign until you've had your fill of the new stuff and then mod it up seems to be the popular course of action.

As for larger ships you can either get lucky and capture a damaged one with marines or you'll need to get Welcoming/Cooperative with one of the major factions (Hegemony, Ludds, Tri-Tach and Sindrians). You need to check their military markets and only certain areas have those. Hegemony has one at Jangala, for example.
Pages: [1] 2