Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: If you're working on a mod... (updated build)  (Read 14987 times)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: If you're working on a mod... (updated build)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »

Hi Alex (and others!),

I am having trouble getting my mod to work with the new preview build, and I can't seem to locate the main error (despite finding quite a few other little ones along the way)

It appears from the log file that an "id" is missing somewhere, but I can't quite tell where from the .log file?

Anybody fancy having a look and trying to figure it out? Log file below for spotting the easy mistakes, and contents of mod in a zip file if anybody has some time to delve deeper.

Appreciate any help or advice.

log file

mod zipfile

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

For the spreadsheets (ship_data.csv, wing_data.csv) you need to have the first row be the column names. Just copy the first row from the ones that come with the game.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »

Aw shucks.

Thanks Alex. Thought it might be an easy one. Really appreciate it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »

No problem, I'm *glad* it was an easy one :)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 02:24:44 PM »

Incidentally i found another couple of errors after posting that :)

It works like a charm, by the way - All my errors were as a result of porting the info over incorrectly, having to rename id references etc.

Had I started from scratch, I'm sure the only error I would have made would have been the .csv menu one.

(Also I've updated the mod zipfile to the one that works if anyone wants to try an easy mission against my terribly named 'Junk Pirates')

e: repetition of words

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »

(Also I've updated the mod zipfile to the one that works if anyone wants to try an easy mission against my terribly named 'Junk Pirates')

I have to admit, I got a kick out of seeing that. It's just really, really cool to see and then realize, hey, this is actually something someone did with Starfarer! Then it kicked my ass, twice :) "Easy", eh?

Those Spikes are just brutal. The interceptor AI combined with exceptional handling makes them stick to you like glue once they get in close, almost neutralizing PD systems. The dual light autocannon is just evil and makes them a real threat at range, and not to be ignored if you're focused on dealing with another ship.

Hmm, just to make sure, did you mean to make them "INTERCEPTOR" and not "FIGHTER"? That changes the AI behavior quite a bit. Interceptors try to stick close to their target once they engage, while fighters (and bombers) prefer longer attack runs. In addition, interceptors prioritize enemy fighter craft as attack targets.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »

Fun little mission & great ships!

I died on my first try because I dodged some torpedoes... only to have them hit the asteroids right behind me >.<
Second time, I blithley flew right into a torpedo during an explosion flash: I still won though, with only my ship, and 44 HP between me and the vacuum of space.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 12:21:48 AM »

Cool! I'm glad you both tried it, and liked it!

Obviously I'm still calibrating the difficulty using .33 'Hornet's Nest' as a benchmark ...

I found the difficulty was in keeping the Hammerhead alive, rather than say, successfully winning the battle. First few times I played I got jumped by the cleats out of nowhere, torpedoes smashing in to my broadside and sending my surprised corpse spinning in to space. I'm glad it wasn't just me!

I wasn't sure though if it was down to my own lack of skill in the game, and thought of swapping the enforcer out for a lasher. Maybe it will stay as it is and I'll try and ramp the difficulty up for the next mission ...

And on the spikes Interceptor vs. Fighter issue, they were originally designed to be Interceptors, as I initially gave them a pair of vulcans. This was great when they were fighting talons (also the pesky wasps), and useful for chipping in to a ship with battered armor. Other than that, they didn't quite have the 'kick' I was going for. They get battered by broadswords, for instance ('cos of the swarmers against armor) and I would have liked that to be more of a 50/50 affair.

So I gave them a cannon, and they can still destroy talons fairly well even with a single vulcan, plus the versatility of this  longer range gun. But I suppose this has then turned them in to more of a fighter role. The behaviour sounds more appropriate and I'll try it out.

All in all, it's a fantastic game to mod with, the ships you create really do come to life - any decisions you make (as a 'designer') in terms of armor vs. weapons vs. manouvreability vs. flux etc. really translate so well to the actual field of battle ... it's just really rewarding. And it's so cool to see the AI work so well with it all!

Now I just need to dream up a concept for a 'sub-capital' ship and a 'destroyer' for the Junk Pirates ... and possibly a better name!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »

All in all, it's a fantastic game to mod with, the ships you create really do come to life - any decisions you make (as a 'designer') in terms of armor vs. weapons vs. manouvreability vs. flux etc. really translate so well to the actual field of battle ... it's just really rewarding. And it's so cool to see the AI work so well with it all!

Now I just need to dream up a concept for a 'sub-capital' ship and a 'destroyer' for the Junk Pirates ... and possibly a better name!

Thanks, happy to hear that :) Looking forward to seeing those next two ships.

I'm still kind of surprised you guys are adding ships in without seemingly missing a beat.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 09:46:07 AM »

Heh, well, the actual sprite-design part is the hardest with original designs, because I keep going back and reworking them (I also want to polish up the pike down the line as well - its very crude & flat to me atm, but I wanted to get it out as a proof-of-concept balance wise first)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 12:18:03 PM »

Just tested GSP on this build, works flawlessly. Here's a screenshot taken from 0.34a preview 2:

Pages: 1 [2]