Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: [.53a.1] Green Sun & Other custom factions [Campaign and Missions]  (Read 111275 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: [.53a.1] Green Sun & Other custom factions [Campaign and Missions]
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »

:D Yep, the Desperation was fun to make. In fact, it came about when I was pondering the conversion system - "where do all those tarsus arms go?". - I also like to make a point of trying to stay within the atmosphere of the game and feasibility with the lore.

Anyways, another new ship for your viewing enjoyment (another conversion, but this one is actually not a junker!)

Buffalo-E: The Buffalo-E is a miniature explorer, and although it has a fairly large pricetag in comparison to its progenitor, it is significantly cheaper than any other ship filling its role. As an added bonus, it can carry a much larger quantity of fuel with itself than the Venture or Odyssey can in proportion to its fuel consumption. In fact, it outright beats the Venture, and has half as much as the Odyssey, giving it the best range of any non-dedicated tanker. Prior to the Buffalo-E's creation, there really were no comparable ships. The Odyssey was a giant fancy capship with an equally enormous pricetag, the Venture required relatively frequent refueling stops, and was still somewhat pricy, and all the tankers had no real chance of survival on their own. Then along came the Buffalo-E - a budget level, destroyer-class, long-range explorer craft capable of operating independently, outfitted with relatively modern technology, with some fighters for support, marketed at the small-time explorer, tech-miner, or ore prospector. As a result of the higher rarity of their components, higher standard of engineering, and pricier construction, they tend to be quite a bit less common then their sibling converted destroyers. It falls into the category of 'good all around', excelling in no one particular area; tankers hold more fuel, freighters carry more cargo, actual combat craft are able to deliver more firepower, but for not being any of them, it isn't bad at those roles either. The Buffalo-E has a large cargo capacity (not quite as much as a proper freighter of its size), a large fuel reserve (about as much as the Dram, which is a class-size lower), and can mount a decent amount of weaponry (up to 70 OP - still less than any proper combat destroyer other than it's sibling converts (such as the Buffalo II, the Condor, the Vulture)) due to having been upgraded with a military-grade reactor, though most of its slots are probably best used with point defense.

(I still have a bit more touchup to do on the sprite, esp. because I missed some shadows <.>)
[Edit - btw, only the buffalo Core is kitbashed - everything else was created new, from the tanks to the armor.]

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:28:09 PM by Avan »

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »

Gosh, these are great!

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2012, 03:35:23 PM »

I love the idea of more exploration-class vessels like the Buffalo-E and the vanilla Odyssey; perhaps it's because all the Star Treks revolved around exploration.

Balanced, do-everything (but expensive$$$) self-sufficient flagships are really excellent player-ships as well, and I love constantly fiddling with loadouts for those more-customizable ships.

Now I really want to make some explorer class vessels myself.  ;D

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »

I want a Buffalo-E, I'm a sucker for freighter conversions and that thing seems to be a top notch example.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »

;D

Ok, I'm going to try to get one or two more ships done before the weekend when I do some more campaign work and then put out 1.03

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2012, 12:13:04 AM »

Ok, so I was doing more playtesting, and discovered that... the AI sucks piloting the Vulture. So I took pity on it and gave it a slight buff (it now has a small omni shield big enough to cover its front or rear), which helped it quite a bit. I also added a variant that was a bit easier for the AI (more venting and uses an autocannon instead of a railgun, PD is less, but it can rely on the shield instead)

Now to introduce...

The Vulture 2

(Note the unoccupied weapon slot in the front >.<)

This is an up-armored version of the Vulture that also comes with an additional pair of outboard rectors supplying enough power for a more respectable omni shield (it is larger afterall). It is just... all around better than the Vulture. Its even slightly faster and more maneuverable. It might still not be able to match proper combat ships that well, but it can easily take on light ships and freighters, as well as provide excellent close support in larger battles, and is a fair amount more dangerous than the plain Vulture due to its additional firepower and flux capacity.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2012, 05:03:50 AM »

once again, nice

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:22 AM »

Is there any chance you could incorporate unique id's for your ships? As things stand now there's compatibility issues with a few mods that use the same ship names.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »

All the new ships/systems/missions/etc have unique ids "v_[name]" since version 1.01. The old ones would take a fair amount of effort to update, and I'm going to lean on the grandfather clause for as long as possible until I actually have the time and effort to put into going through and updating *every single reference* and then testing for typos and missed IDs, considering that technically (by start date) my mod predates all others... as a result, unique IDs weren't exactly part of the design standard at the time.

Sweetraveparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »

Hey Avan, would it be okay with you if craftomega added this mod into Omega's Mishmash? I think that would definitely be awesome to have in there :D You should talk to him about it if yes :D :D

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »

fun mod, great ships but there is 1 BUT(t) can't play with uomoz's or with Interstellar Federation cuz of the "Titan" name glitch
Spoiler
[close]
its just crashing durning the battle when titan wanna spawn
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »

I cannot seem to download the mod, how disappointing.  Is the link broken?

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »

The download link seems to be working for me.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »

Some of the ships seem to need to be nerfed a bit.

The Amatia:

Spoiler
It has 250 armor whereas most high-tech frigates have 200 or less.
It has 60 OP which rivials that of the Hyperion.
It moves far far too fast, faster than most fighters despite it's large size.
It costs only 7 FP to field whilst the Hyperion costs 15 and still struggles to beat it.
It's shields are .5 which is very very high for a frigate, espcially one so fast and heavily armored and cheap to field.

Overall I think it's too much like a cheaper more efficent hyperion only with a skimmer instead of a teleporter, it shouldn't be.

My suggestion would be to reduce shield efficency to .6 and reduce armor to 100 or 50 along with nerfing it's capacity and hull to 2500/500 respectively.  I have no problems with high-tech ships but this is a drone but it carries armor you'd more likely see on lower tech ships so that should probably be changed for balance purposes.  I don't have Codex so I can't tell how out of proportion it is though.
[close]

The Anvil is basically a Brawler with larger weapon mounts and less OP but better shielding and mobility.  It's not drastically out of proprtion from what I see but with it carrying medium mounts like that it shouldn't be as fast as it is.

The Phroton class seems to have some of the same problems as the amatia class.  Though not as bad.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »

Sorry to double post but I am getting this error:

202370 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.String  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull [titan] variant [titan_Siege]: slot id [WS 7] not found for weapon [heavyneedler]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull [titan] variant [titan_Siege]: slot id [WS 7] not found for weapon [heavyneedler]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13