Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: [.53a.1] Green Sun & Other custom factions [Campaign and Missions]  (Read 111525 times)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [Alpha-Rel] Green Sun & Other custom factions [Campaign and Missions]
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »

(snaps fingers)

also the minigun. it takes so long to spool up that i cant get it to ever engage fighters or missiles. i put one on a few ships and so far i have only ever been able to get it to attack frigates or larger when in auto fire mode. if you keep it like it is.. might i suggest changing it from PD to close support. or something along those lines.. maybe a small range increase for that purpose.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »

gnats stand utterly no chance against flak; I personally never found a problem with them, but I can take a look at how they are balanced. IIRC, the weapon they use got changed to kinetic a while back, which may be contributing to their current state. Originally it was fragmentation damage.

as to the minigun, I can look into rebalancing that.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2012, 08:09:42 AM »

Ok, going to try to release an updated version this weekend.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

sweet, i'll be waiting

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2012, 10:48:10 PM »

Also busy drawing up plans on the side for a new faction with all-new ships. OC, since they are non-frankened, I'll have to wait and see how they turn out first XP

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »

um, i hate to be a bother but im guessing it's not ready yet?  :-[ i really wanted to play this mod

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »

Oh damn, I forgot completely about the update. Gahhh, too many things going on at once, sorry guys >.<

There is a version up for download though!

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »

it's ok, I just love this mod a bunch

Cadenzaforte

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I don't know if you want to know but your mod is almost entirely compatible with Omega's Minimash with the exception of the pike ship which conflicts for some reason. I took the time to track down the problem and rather easily solved it by deleting the pike ship and the pike entry from the ship data file and now have no conflicts. If you leave the pike as it is you end up with an error that reads "java.lang.RuntimeException: slot is null - make sure weapon slot id is correct"

I really enjoy having as many mods running as I can to add depth to the game so if you could possibly track down what is causing this in future updates so i don't have to delete the Pike ship that would be awesome

*edit*
I also had to remove the mention of the Pike in the GS supply convoy in the missions folder and pretty much delete all the missions cause i didn't want to go through each one and find and remove any mention of the pike
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:57:22 AM by Cadenzaforte »

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums

Hi guys, not dead, just... put off between feelings of eternal september on the forums (not just here, but in multiple places) and dreading going back through and redoing all the ID's... (And being overloaded with a bunch of other RL things and other random stuff)

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile

He's alive!  ;D I just want you to know, that I will be here for moral support

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2012, 12:36:35 AM »

So I'm *actually* making and *showing* some of the new stuff I've been planning/wanting to make for so long but never had figured out a way to actually create the ships (Especially since kitbashing wasn't really going to work out that well here)

Repost from my other thread, since it contains lore stuff that will be pertinent to this mod XP (And ship graphics that will be in it too)

I'm messing around with a new style of making ships (non-kitbashed); its much faster than my old method, makes for not-greyscale ships XP, and I think it gives a relatively visually consistent look.

A couple examples: [Note, these aren't for re-use in other people's mods unless I explicitly give permission, edited, whole, or otherwise. Just saying this since the last time I posted whole sprites, someone kitbashed some of them really poorly without approval]

Here, I was doing some preliminary experimentation. I hadn't really figured out how I was doing this. Went back and touched it up after I made the frigate. Still needs some work I feel, might just redo it later.

Here, I had a better idea of the methodology I wanted to use, and manged to make a much clearer image, which I hope feels visually consistent (which is partly why I kitbashed so much)

The background of this faction is one I planned out ages ago. These are bleeding edge ships; all prototypes developed just prior to and following the collapse of the gate network by a secret Dominion R&D installation in the sector; specifically, they were tasked with designing heavily automated and fully autonomous ships. The installation was a fully self-contained habitat vessel landed in the arctic region of a terraformed but lightly inhabited agricultural world, which had a rather conspicuous autofactory in orbit, which tended to "go offline" much to the population's displeasure due to "unspecified technical difficulties". Despite this, the world would become very attractive later on due to having an autofactory (Despite its reputation), and an agricultural base. The research installation maintained their secrecy even once the gate stopped functioning; it wasn't until factions started forming, and multiple invasion fleets were sent their way that they revealed their presence... and the fleet of drone ships they had constructed. While nominally they were under the control of the Domian's military, it was the scientists who took charge of the operation, as they were the ones with the command codes (and backdoor over-rides...). When it became clear that the gates were probably not going to be coming back on line anytime soon, they organized into more of a coherent body of governance (in this case a meritocracy focused on intellect). They became the Directorate. They focused first on defense, second on maintaining their knowledge base, and third on acquiring as many blank blueprint roms as possible; while they had a large number on hand, the roms would not last forever, especially since it often took quite a few flawed prototypes before a production-grade design was produced. This stash ran out less 50 years in, and the creation of new ships and weapons has ground to a near-halt, with only a few roms trickling in over the years. On the other hand, there were other practical limits as to how quickly the Directorate could expand its fleet and territory; the autofactory required raw materials, and infernium was always hard to come by. A number of blueprints have trickled out of their hands over the years, all of which were incomplete or nearly-complete versions of less-critical weapons and ships. The rate at which the Green Sun pirates manage to accumulate them suggests that there are some pretty heavy dealings between them, likely in exchange for hunting for new roms and raiding hegemony supply convoys, however nothing truly conclusive has come up yet.

As to the stats of these ships, they are generally built with defense in mind; a lot of the initial designs were re-worked early on to be more defensible, since every ship lost meant that more raw materials would need to be maintained, and in the case of non-drone ships, that their already tiny population base would be further reduced. Superb shields, decent armor, but anemic slot counts and/or slot-size are all common attributes of Directorate ships. Many of them also incorporate defensive systems (well, for the next update anyways ;P) such as systems to foil missiles or targeting.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2012, 02:22:01 AM »

Nice sprites, look forward to seeing more, but I love the concept of 'The Directorate'. Very interesting, and cleverly compatible with the current vanilla lore.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2012, 04:54:21 AM »

Yay! It's alive! And those ships look sweet! So how many of their ships are manned and how many are drones?

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »

Oh man, have I been awaiting the return of Avan and his amazing artwork!
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13