Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The End of Food Shortage Supremacy?  (Read 1474 times)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
The End of Food Shortage Supremacy?
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:06:34 PM »

Pre-0.7, my main early advancement tactic was to find myself a food shortage to get funds up. My first run in 0.7a from Corvus (stuffed with food) to Cruor (stability now zero, 3400 food needed) with 30 units of food actually resulted in a loss. After tariffs, I paid 46c per unit and they sold for 25c (35c buy and 36c sell before tariff).

So, looks like its time to start grinding bounties.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: The End of Food Shortage Supremacy?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:57:12 PM »

At least from what I can tell, food prices during shortages no longer reach the extreme highs they used to--although given that I haven't been playing 0.7 very long, it's possible that prolonged trade disruptions / embargoes may result in higher prices. On the flip side, I've noticed that food gluts can drive the price down to lows well below the prior version. I've seen 1c/unit on the Intel map but wasn't able to verify firsthand.

Smuggling is definitely an option, maybe more so than it used to be. I turned 15,000c into 40,000c in one trip shipping Drugs from one of the faction ports in Valhalla to the Umbra pirate base--bought at 234c, sold at 750c. Still feeling out the new travel map abilities, but using both of the "run silent" modes and cargo shielding prevented any rep loss with the main factions (the Pirates docked me a few points for black market dealing).

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The End of Food Shortage Supremacy?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 12:57:34 AM »

Looks like one of the ways to trade for income is now to go to comms and look at missions being offered when you're at planets that tend to ask for you to deliver supplies to places... like 50 units of fuel or 100 supplies, etc. for XX amount of creds if you do it within so many days.