Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: what is up with trade?  (Read 2306 times)

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
what is up with trade?
« on: November 14, 2015, 12:34:52 PM »

hi,
so I got a message from Corvus saying that Asharu raised their prices on domestic goods, so I bought alot of D.G. from Jangala and brought them there but they were at standard prices?

It was within a week so why did it happen? Was it a one-day increase??
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: what is up with trade?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 02:48:56 PM »

Tarriffs generally reduce the profitability of doing trade runs like that - 30% is a lot.  The only way to really take advantage of that is to go the Map mode of the Economy view and see the extreme prices of commodities.

By the way, I think that message was just a price update, not anything special.  It's just telling you the general stuff that happened - sure, prices went up by 5 credits.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »

hi,
so I got a message from Corvus saying that Asharu raised their prices on domestic goods, so I bought alot of D.G. from Jangala and brought them there but they were at standard prices?

It was within a week so why did it happen? Was it a one-day increase??

There are some issues with price accuracy for those messages/in the price map; should be fixed in 0.7a.

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 01:04:59 PM »

There's also the issue that the time you receive the message isn't the same time the price change started.

You have to be within a certain range of a planet/station in order to receive price updates. So by the time you got the message, it could've been several days since the shortage started.

Hacking the commlink or having cooperative relations allows you to get price updates from much farther away.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »

Tarriffs generally reduce the profitability of doing trade runs like that - 30% is a lot.  The only way to really take advantage of that is to go the Map mode of the Economy view and see the extreme prices of commodities.

By the way, I think that message was just a price update, not anything special.  It's just telling you the general stuff that happened - sure, prices went up by 5 credits.
Its not 30%. Its somewhere around 60% in effect. After all, you spend 1.3x as much, and then sell for 0.7x as much. As a result, if the price difference doesn't add up to at least 60%, you lose money. I generally follow the rule that the price difference needs to be at least double, which is enough for ~40% profit. Any less and it tends to not work out.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »

@Ranakastrasz
The tariff is 30% - you said it yourself. :P I never said the percent that the tariff takes after the buy and sell, just the tariff going both ways individually.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:20:44 PM by The Soldier »
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »

no there simply was no event when I got there
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 02:43:25 PM »

no there simply was no event when I got there
Did you check when the event happened?  News travels slowly between systems - you might have gotten the price alert and pounced on it within a week, but the news itself could have been 3 weeks old.

However, since that was between Asharu and Jangala, that shouldn't have happened.  Concerning the price alone - did you know the stability of a planet affects the price of their items?  Asharu is usually at 1 Stability - which means items are at 50% price (and sell for 50% as well).  The prices are usually so low there that selling is pretty much pointless unless the price explodes (usually with food).  Jangala's prices are at 100% - so buying Domestic Goods there (that cost say, 50 credits per) will cost you 50 credits.  If Asharu's prices spiked and doubled the price of Domestic Goods, then the selling price would still be the same - 50 * 2 is 100 credits per, but after you take into account the Stability price multiplier, it's back down to 50 credits per.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:26:01 AM »

@Ranakastrasz
The tariff is 30% - you said it yourself. :P I never said the percent that the tariff takes after the buy and sell, just the tariff going both ways individually.
True. I was pointing out that it effectively reduces price difference by ~60%, requiring a far larger difference in price to allow for a profit.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire