Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Star Wars Mod Update: v2.04 new guns  (Read 101172 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Going to start a star wars mod.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »

I really hope this gets made.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Arrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »

How big did you make the star destroyer so I'll have a frame of reference for the other ships?

My ISD is 384x384 right now, I started with 256 but that was way too small. 384 seems too small as well, I've been thinking of stepping up to 512 or even 768. Though I'm not sure how well the game might like ships that gigantic.

e: For the life of me I can't get recoiling barrels to work. I have no idea why. Its rendering the barrel sprites correctly, all the code looks to be good, they just don't recoil when I fire.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:03:56 PM by Arrath »

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »

How big did you make the star destroyer so I'll have a frame of reference for the other ships?

My ISD is 384x384 right now, I started with 256 but that was way too small. 384 seems too small as well, I've been thinking of stepping up to 512 or even 768. Though I'm not sure how well the game might like ships that gigantic.

e: For the life of me I can't get recoiling barrels to work. I have no idea why. Its rendering the barrel sprites correctly, all the code looks to be good, they just don't recoil when I fire.

Hmm, I'm not much of a modder, but did ya check the .wpn file for the  visualRecoil setting?  Maybe it was left at 0 or something.

The below code is oldish, but maybe still valid, I grabbed it from an old post.  :)

"visualRecoil":2.0,  # the gun sprites are only used if this is non-0
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Arrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »

VisualRecoil is there and I've tried turning it up to ludicrous levels.

I'm just going to copy an existing weapon with working recoil and swap the sprite paths, see if that works.

e: Yeah, copying the lightdualac entry and changing out the sprites works. I guess recoil doesn't play well with linked barrels.

e2: So after some more testing its setting barrelMode to LINKED or having a burst delay of 0 that will prevent a weapon from visually recoiling.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:06:17 PM by Arrath »

Danne-Outlander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 08:37:34 PM »

If someone could point me in the right direction or a tutorial, i could make some turrets. But do not quote me. I might end up sucking at making them.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »

All ships that I plan on for empire are now done, so as soon as I get the weapons and tie from Arrath I'll post it here, even though it still won't be finished.

so for ships done: ISD, Interdictor, Acclimator, Lambda, Tie, Interceptor, Bomber

edit: also going to start on rebel stuff today. I'll probably get that done in a day or three and have a mission by the end of the week, although the guns and sounds won't be correct.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:41:42 AM by washout »

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »

My ISD is 500 and it seems pretty good. But the sheer number of guns that are supposed to be on these things is just insane. I pack a lot on there but it's still not really representational of the 50 ion cannons and 50 turbolaser emplacements they actually have. I think once you send me your stuff and I integrate it with mine you'll be pretty happy with the scaling.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »

If someone could point me in the right direction or a tutorial, i could make some turrets. But do not quote me. I might end up sucking at making them.
There is not a tutorial for that yet. You just have to look in starfarer_core and start examining how everything interacts. It's not very easy.

Arrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »

My ISD is 500 and it seems pretty good. But the sheer number of guns that are supposed to be on these things is just insane. I pack a lot on there but it's still not really representational of the 50 ion cannons and 50 turbolaser emplacements they actually have. I think once you send me your stuff and I integrate it with mine you'll be pretty happy with the scaling.

As for packing lots of stuff on there I was cheating and using hidden turret mounts on my ISD. Sure, laser blasts bloom out of bare hull but normal turbolasers are so small compared to the mass of the hull that you wouldn't see them at this range anyway. But really, packing 'lore correct' (oh god did I just say that) numbers of guns on there would be incredibly overpowered unless we made them just tickle, and relied on the volume of fire to do damage.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »

Ha ha, if Lucas didn't manage to show the 100 weapon emplacements in the movies, then no pressure on you to do so exactly in a video game mod. (Just kidding, because we both know that the details there were created after the fact for Books, etc, lol)   ;D

But seriously, I can't wait for this mod to be complete, I love me some Star Wars!   :D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »

As for packing lots of stuff on there I was cheating and using hidden turret mounts on my ISD. Sure, laser blasts bloom out of bare hull but normal turbolasers are so small compared to the mass of the hull that you wouldn't see them at this range anyway. But really, packing 'lore correct' (oh god did I just say that) numbers of guns on there would be incredibly overpowered unless we made them just tickle, and relied on the volume of fire to do damage.
I think I still managed to fit around 40 guns on mine, good point to make the point defense turbolasers invisible though. I'll probably go back and do that to mine.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »

first post updated, alpha release of mod, empire ships and X-wings only. As a test this modifies the coral nebula mission. Currently horrifically imbalanced. First thing on the balancing chopping block is probably lowering tie laser damage by at least half.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:40:51 PM by washout »

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »

I do not have a good Nebulon B overhead sprite, if anyone can find one that would be awesome.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:44 AM »

new update today already.

v1.02
Added ship variant sw_bwing
Added ship variant standard_cr90_corvette
Added ship variant home_one

Changed: Hereafter I am removing "standard" from the names, I'll edit the old ones if I ever get nitpickey.

Changed: Raised price of tier fighter wing from 4 to 6.
Changed: Raised price of x-wing from 6 to 10 since they are now multirole with torps.
Changed: Lowered price of tie interceptor from 10 to 8 since they now do half the damage.
Changed: Changed tie interceptors and bombers designation in wing data to correct.
Changed: A bunch of ship stats like speed and ***.

NOTE: Home One stupid overpowered currently, don't know what to do to fix.

https://rapidshare.com/files/555785101/star_wars.rar

eirikrr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »

I think I found a bug :o I am not sure if it is in the base game or with this mod, but anyways. As I was playing, one of the engins on my big ship was desabeled, this cosed the ship to spin in a massive speed, it was awsome to look at a ship that big spinn in that speed, but it seems rather out of place :P the wierdest thing was that when I let go of my thrusters, the ship started to acceletate even more. it alos happened once later, so it seems to not be a one case scenario. But the second time it would not stopp at any cost till my engin was back online. even though I made the ship turn in the opposid direction of what it was spinning it allways seemed to start to spin again as soon as I let go :P so if it is more then me that have that "problem" I would recomend you look in to it :) The mod so far is still amazing though :D I would love to see this mod in full scale :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10