Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] ApproLight v0.8.6-RC1 (2020-12-29)  (Read 362532 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] ApproLight v0.4.1a -Rebirth-
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2016, 04:54:41 PM »

Well I could try the Originem or the Doctorial as replacements for now but I have refreshed the Spectre Nest market some good 30 times now and I haven't seen them being sold once.

Are they even up for sale? Same for some weapons. I have a feeling they are hiding at the Unos station but I have no idea how one would access that, I have a commission and 100 rep points.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2016, 05:07:30 PM »

Didn't found an Originem, but got 3 Doctorial so far (in captured stations). Those are fairly rare though.

No idea what Unos station does either, tried to board it with several "special" ships, hoping it'll trigger a reaction but so far i got nothing.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »

I'm not playing with Nex, but I found both ships now so I guess they are just very rare.

Just not sure if the Rods Frome Chopper spawns at all.

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2016, 05:20:27 PM »

Didn't found an Originem, but got 3 Doctorial so far (in captured stations). Those are fairly rare though.

No idea what Unos station does either, tried to board it with several "special" ships, hoping it'll trigger a reaction but so far i got nothing.

Unos station does nothing is this version now. It's just one piece of my imagination.
And ships like Originem are quite rare, really rare.
My mods

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »

I'm not playing with Nex, but I found both ships now so I guess they are just very rare.

Just not sure if the Rods Frome Chopper spawns at all.
All i can say is the Rods Frome Chopper is rare. But this weapon is too strong to use, completely OP and I suggest not to use it.
My mods

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »

So, i finished a Nexerelin campaign with Approlight. It was a pretty fun campaign, even though the extremely strong ships eventually made late game a bit boring. After a while, i was able to steam-roll absolutely everything without having to look at the screen, including Templars and late game IBBs. Also a few bugs and little things that i'll start with.

Code
10051989 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at data.hullmods.AL_ChainedMod.advanceInCombat(AL_ChainedMod.java:63)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.entities.Ship.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

This one happened thrice. Once in a battle against Templars, the two other while testing the Holy Seeker in the simulator. It always happened at the very start of the battle, just after deploying my ships.

Another thing, i suspect Approlight require more allocated memory than other mods. My game crashed with 2 to 4 Go allocated, fortunately it went fine when i changed vmparams to 4 to 6Go. This may also be linked to my third issue. Sometimes, the game would close after loading a save. Here's the end of the log :

Code
6399158 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading ..\\saves/save_ANIMEASFUCK_3840825973959183201...
6399309 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 1
6399309 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 2
6399309 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 3

No crash, just the game closing. Happened 3 or 4 times in the campaign.

Also, the description of the planet Flame forge break when hovering the cursor over it.

Duke Julius space station #1 have no description. It seems it was supposed to be like the abandoned station in Corvus but instead "behave" like a normal (broken) market. There's also a big ship here, which is free to grab. It's not available with just Approlight activated though, i don't know if it's intended.

Also, here the culture end fleet pursuing their allies.

Spoiler
[close]

And here, something... Weird.

Spoiler
[close]

A few more things, not game-breaking.

Approlight is hostile to the Luddic Church, but not the Luddic path, seems like an oversight. It's also neutral with some other faction mods like Imperium and NGO, which are very hostile to the Hegemony, Approlight's ally.

I managed to find and defeat Immortal Light and Culture End. But even by tweaking the files, i couldn't manage to spawn the other two boss fleets. Waiting didn't helped either.

The background of Agustin is the same as old Corsica. Not a huge problem, but i always found this background to be a bit straining to the eyes. If you happen to have another darker background around, it would probably fit better.

And lastly, a minor complain. I'd be happy if you could lower the "shield raising" sound effect a bit. A single vessel doing it is okay, but 20 ships constantly lowering and raising their shields in battle can be a bit tiresome after a while.

Now for the interesting part. I will start with the hull mods, because they play such an important role in the faction. Unfortunately, i found them very confusing to use, they do so many things and aren't explained very well.

The Deuterium-antideuterium Reactor (i have a feeling the translation went weird there) does no less than 4 things : It increases the shield radius by a bit, increase the ship flux capacity, and most importantly, give a venting boost when the ship reach above 70% flux every minutes. It also regenerate the hull depending on the flux (i had troubles understanding that part). It also says at the end that the flux capacity is increased by 25% now, not sure to understand that either.

The Dimension potential generator is a fun one. Not only it increases the flux dissipation, it especially give the ship an invisible shield that can makes disappear incoming projectiles. It works a bit like the Exigency repulsor, but permanent (unless you vent or are overloaded). It does cost a bit of hard flux to "eat" projectiles though.

I wasn't convinced by the Anti-Deu engine mod. It does increases the speed by 2/1/1/1 su, which is insignificant (and doesn't seems to works anyway) (Edit: I discovered it's actually the burn speed, the description tricked me) and increases the damage taken by the engines, similar to Unstable injectors. It also increase the flux dissipation when accelerating, which is, uh... All the time in battle. Very clunky, i pretty much never used it.

Appro-Light Element Enhance is another one that i rarely used. It reduce the speed by 20%, which is huge, and in exchange give more hull health, and more or less immunity to EMP and disabled weapons. It also make the ship cost more supplies to repair. Probably very good on the Hegemony inspired designs that rely on armor, but otherwise not really interesting.

Appro-Light flux adjust system increase the ship overall performances depending on the flux level. It doesn't seems to increase with additional flux capacity points. It also give a boost to flux dissipation. Apparently, it does increase the flux dissipation bonus depending on how fast the ship built up its flux, but this part was a bit confusing to understand.

Filter armor doesn't stack with other armor buffing hull-mods. It doesn't give as much additional armor as the vanilla hull-mod but it does regenerate (not in its entirety) the ship's armor. The armor regen seems to be limited in time depending on the available material (?), but i actually have no idea how this part works, so i don't know if it's actually good. It also completely remove the cargo and fuel capacity of the ship.

Appro-light Flux chain is mostly a complementary mod that buff all other AL hull mods. It does reduce the flux dissipation but buff the shield, and lower the energy flux cost of the weapons.

Overall, asides from the dimensional generator and the deuterium reactor, i rarely used the other hull mods. They add an unnecessarily high amount of buffs and nerfs and make the whole thing extremely confusing to use. I'll really advise to simplify these. One or two effects are more than enough for a hullmod, all the other arbitrary bonuses doesn't bring anything interesting and should be removed for clarity.

Now for the ships. I didn't had the chance to try them all, but here's about those i tested :

The starting Mumber is an all around better Wolf, or maybe even Tempest? It's faster, hit like a truck and is even cheaper. Its only weakness is the crappy shield, but it's still an Omni compared to the Wolf frontal. It also have a built-in dimension generator hull mod, so you don't have to worry too much about kinetic shots hitting your crappy shield in the first place. It also have a "C" variant, which i'm not sure what it means.

The Multiplication frigate is also similar to the Wolf, with a medium hybrid turret. It doesn't quite have as many guns, and the built Filter armor remove all the cargo but its overall stats are still better. Its glow flux jammer allow it to repulse projectiles, like the Exi repulsor. It also causes some short EMP arcs, making it very well protected against fighters and unshielded frigates. It's also dirt cheap, 3 supplies, like a Hound.

The Academician is more or less a (very) high-tech Brawler. It's not as armored as its vanilla counterpart, its shield however, is ridiculous at 0.5 efficiency. It's also bloody fast. Mostly equipped with hidden slots (that can't be disabled), so don't try to challenge it in a slug-fest. Oh, and it also have a built in dimension generator, making it even tougher. Fortunately, it's more expensive at 6 supplies, but given it can go toe to toe with a destroyer, it's actually not that expensive.

The Devil's Angle is a glass cannon loaded with too many missiles to be legal. For the same price as a Vigilance, you can mount one more medium missile, and two small ones. Stacking those during early game obviously give outrageous results.

The One Armed is the AL Hyperion, but twice as cheap, tougher and with better flux stats. And just like the description said, it have a medium universal, the ideal place to fit a torpedo launcher.

Its upgrade version, the One Armed Heracles is all around better, and come delivered with a large universal instead of a medium. Its teleporter have a slightly longer cooldown and shorter range, but causes EMP arcs. It's twice as expensive as the One Armed, so as much as an Hyperion, but overwhelmingly better.

For the destroyers. The first one i got was the White Wolf, the AL version of the Medusa. Its stats are overall better but it traded the two universals hardpoints for a single medium hybrid, so they roughly have the same firepower. The main difference come from the ship system, the Medusa phase skimmer have 3 charges, the White wolf have 6, and they regenerate faster, giving it near Hyperion level of mobility. 12 supplies cost, same as the Medusa. Built in dimension generator too.

The Bachelor is some kind of Enforcer/Sunder hybrid, but high-tech. Over-gunned, reasonably mobile, and tough as nail. Its armor isn't quite as good as the Enforcer but it does compensate with a very good shield and flux stats more than twice as better. And even if it get dangerously close to overloading, it still can uses its ship system to reinforce its armor depending on its flux level. Quite pricey for a destroyer (13 supplies) but it can definitely plays in the cruiser category.

The Ice-breaker is a slightly cheaper, but much tougher Sunder, with an overwhelming amount of firepower. Its flux stats are surprisingly similar, even a little inferior due to the built in Flux chain. Combining the energy weapons with kinetic effects from AL, with the two medium missiles mounts makes it a beast even during late game.

The Boson is one of the most reasonable ships i've seen so far. A phase destroyer, with surprisingly average stats and firepower. It still got the same blinker as the White Wolf, making it incredibly mobile. Also one of the most expensive AL destroyer at 15 supplies.

I didn't have the chance to get a Torch class, so i can't say much about it. I know that hovering the cursor over the Amethyst system icon in refit screen makes the game explodes though.

Spoiler
2438964 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.util.IllegalFormatConversionException: f != java.lang.String
java.util.IllegalFormatConversionException: f != java.lang.String
   at java.util.Formatter$FormatSpecifier.failConversion(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.Formatter$FormatSpecifier.printFloat(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.Formatter$FormatSpecifier.print(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.String.format(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$11.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$12.beforeShown(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O00O.showTooltip(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.T.int.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.T.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O00O.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O0o0.dispatchEventsToChildren(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O0o0.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.c$Oo.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.c.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.ooOO.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.refit.F.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.O0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.M.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.J.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.M.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.newsuper.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

The Referee class is a cheaper Condor, but better in every possible ways, with an absurd amount of weapons. Not much to say here.

The Brain is some kind of destroyer sized Monitor. It's fairly well armed, and like the description said, pretty much indestructible. Its Brain AI hull mod slow down incoming missiles and buff allied ships. With 2 medium missiles and universals mounts, it makes a pretty annoying missile boat that can't be stopped. Unfortunately, i found it quite unusable, due to its atrocious mobility, 25, as slow as an Onslaught. AL ships being naturally very hard to kill, the Brain never really found its place in my fleet.

The phase-tanker class (translation is probably wrong here) is, unsurprisingly, a phase tanker. It doesn't have as much fuel capacity as the Phaeton, nor as much cargo as the Tarsus, but it comes at only 3 supplies and also bring 2 medium missiles mounts. It's less expensive than the Devil's Angle missile frigate, have a pretty good amount of cargo space, and being a phase ship, is quite survivable on top of that. I used those quite a lot during my campaign. For some reasons however, they cost 80% CR per deployment.

In the cruiser category, the ships suddenly becomes very expensive to field, but still quite monstrous. The Scolder is probably the least threatening of them all. It's a carrier-freighter, roughly equivalent to the Heron in a lot of ways. It got more cargo space though, but it come at a slightly more expensive price. Actually reasonably balanced.

The Venture AL is more or less identical to the vanilla one, but with slightly better cargo and flux stats, it also lost its civilian-grade hull mod. The problem? Its twice as expensive as the original one. Also equipped with an inexplicably worse shield emitter.

The Gen Eagle is not an Eagle variant, but a Dominator one. It doesn't have as much armor than its vanilla counterpart, but with its ancient armor system, it can be become monstrously hard to damage, especially when coupled with the built-in flux adjust hullmod that improve even further its armor. It also have many more guns, and better flux stats to handle them. The only downside? It's almost twice as expensive, but it can still brawl with anything bigger than it.

The very similar looking Accipiter, despite being qualified as a missile support ship by the description, is more of a brawler than anything else. It's quite similar to the Dominator too, but with more guns. However it lack the supernatural survivability of the Gen Eagle. I only found it very late, so i haven't tried it much in my campaign.

The Scholar (called Scholer in game) have been my flagship for... The entire campaign? At least a good part of it. As Cyan Leader said, it's extremely mobile and the four built in torpedoes launcher (plus the large universal mount) allow it to deliver absurdly powerful alpha strikes that can even threaten boss ships. Fairly average AI ship, but beastly as a flagship.

The Keter is more of a battlecruiser, and its 40 supplies cost reflect that. It got a very impressive amount of weapons, but the most striking feature is its monster 0.5 efficiency shield. Add on top of that the really good speed, it definitely justify its expensive price.

Haven't found the other cruisers, so i won't say anything about those.

For the capital ships. The Euclid is a very powerful missile battleship. It can brawl reasonably well, thanks to its heavy armor, but the hardpoints angles, crappy shield and two launch bays definitely put it in a fire-support role.

While the role of the Euclid is a bit nebulous, the Coldhouse is clearly defined. It's a carrier, and while it lacks the numerous launch bays of the Astral, it compensate with incredible fire support capabilities. It's surprisingly cheap though, despite being clearly superior to the Astral. I realized the built in drone launcher was extremely good against Templars, as the Coldhouse drones were perfect Clarents magnets (they are listed as ships, and lack descriptions though). Also a minor bug, the Coldhouse always 0 flux/sec in the refit screen, even when covered in guns.

The Scholar (S) (still written as Scholer) took a different direction than the original Scholar. It traded its incredible frontal firepower for wider coverage. The two large energy mounts are broadsides, as well as the four medium missiles hardpoints. Probably not the ideal flagship, but it did extremely well with the AI. Its Active flux distributor system, coupled with the very good shield makes it infuriatingly hard to kill. By the way, there's some missed characters that weren't translated when the Scholar use its system in battle, it show some "?" instead.

And then the big one, the Doctor class. Its "normal" firepower isn't impressive for a battleship, but it does compensate with the built-in overwhelming Deity gun that can wreck any shields. It may not seems as defence oriented as the Paragon, but with the Origin Flux distributor system, breaking its shield still takes forever.

And that's all for the ships! Didn't got the other battleships, and i don't think talking about the boss ships is relevant, given they aren't really supposed to be balanced anyway.

Speaking of balance, i'm aware that the faction is supposed to be stronger than vanilla, but there are some things that don't works. Some AL ships just can't be blatantly stronger than their vanilla competitor for the same supply cost (or cheaper!), that's especially noticeable for the frigates and destroyers.

Also, while i really liked flying with AL ships during early and mid-game, it became quite stale during late game. The ships can become so strong (especially with skills) that nothing, not even the AL boss fleets, can be an interesting challenge to face. I mean, when you can defeat the final IBB or Templars invasions on autopilot, something might need some changes. I personally won't fly any AL ship in future campaigns due to this, but maybe i'll keep them as a boss faction, along with the Templars.

My main concerns are : fixing the bugs (eh), tweak the hull-mods (really, they are cool but so unintuitive), rework the supplies costs (especially for the frigates and destroyers), probably removing some of the built-in hull mods for the ships (they are already so strong anyway). Another thing that i didn't said earlier, but i feel is very important : the texts feel really weird, lot of grammar mistakes and... A translation a bit too literal perhaps? Hard to say, but something definitely wrong with the writing, and as such, the faction doesn't blend well with the Starsector universe. If you can find a guy on the forum that can write well and is willing to help, then go for it, this would help the mod a lot.

tl;dr : Cool faction but overpowered, stomping everything becomes a bit boring after a while. Some bugs and clunky mechanics. The writing feels weird and not Starsector-ish. If you like epilepsy inducing anime ships with lasers and stuffs, you'll probably like this mod.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2016, 04:53:53 PM »

AL being somewhat OP is part of what makes it distinct I think. I'd re-purpose it into a boss faction instead of nerfing everything to be just vanilla alternatives. I like mods like Blackrock, Imperium, Citadel and so many others that strive for that vanilla balance and keeps everything under control, but at the same time I also like factions like AL that experiment with a lot of things and come off as OP in some ways. Facing off AI AL fleets is much more fun at the late game than facing off Citadel fleets, for example, because of how crazy AL ships are.

I wouldn't trade that for a notion that every faction needs to be vanilla balanced.

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2016, 05:13:53 PM »

Thanks!Helmut! You give me so much constructive suggestions!

Actually, i have been balancing AL for long time. I want it to be a boss faction but not too strong, and this is hard to realize.

Some ships' overpowers are not my suppose. I designed them with just my foolish ideas in my first stage beginning to make this mod, and everything  are out of control. Anyway, I'll try my best to fix them.

Initially, I was bad at Java. I did even not know about what is code. I started making this mod with learning all the time, and the first part is actually terrible(like ship's design, cruiser-class like capital-ship-class). So the former version was so OP that worse than now, and it's my fault that I did little to adjust them.

Hullmods will be tweaked I think. I have more ideas to finish in the future and I have to simplify these effects.

Anyway, thanks for your playing the ApproLight. The ApproLight will be better, in the near future.
My mods

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »

@HELMUT Thanks so much for your feedback, I would look into the translation bugs.
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2016, 07:03:40 AM »

Helmut at his best ^^, great job dude.

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:40 PM »

Cool mod, definitely seems too strong for standard gameplay like has been said already. I'll use them as a boss faction like the Knights Templar for sure, but I can't include them in regular Nexerelin play.

Very Good

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2016, 10:57:06 AM »

I use all mod currently working on this version of starsector and i don't think your faction is op at all.'ecept the one without English translation)

doodlydee

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »

I hope this mod gets updated for new version

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:36 PM »

I use all mod currently working on this version of starsector and i don't think your faction is op at all.'ecept the one without English translation)

Every single ApproLight ship has far better Shield Damage per Flux than any other ship in the entire game, plus their weapons are all really strong, and then you add on all the amazing special bonuses you can give the ships. They're easily among the strongest mods-factions in the game.
I love the designs, weapons, cool special addons for each ship, and the sounds, but they really stomp the *** out of everyone else, which is fine if they're supposed to be a boss faction, but they don't act like one, as they behave exactly like every other faction.

FakeTrump

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2016, 02:37:06 AM »

Can you somehow disable these disgusting weeaboo portraits?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28