Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Difficulty Ramp  (Read 22441 times)

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty Ramp
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2015, 07:37:54 PM »

I'm thinking Alex is so excited for the new update he can't exactly contain himself. Essentially he's dropping spoiler bombs 'cause he's giddy.

So can we expect smuggling with phase ships filled to the brim with high-value cargo to be reasonably profitable now? As long as I'm not detected of course.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2015, 08:10:25 PM »

I'm thinking Alex is so excited for the new update he can't exactly contain himself. Essentially he's dropping spoiler bombs 'cause he's giddy.

There might be some truth to that :) But, ahh, not spoilers - look at it like piecemeal patch notes.

So can we expect smuggling with phase ships filled to the brim with high-value cargo to be reasonably profitable now? As long as I'm not detected of course.

I don't know. They're not cargo ships and it being a bit easier to sneak in may not be enough to offset that, except in special circumstances.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2015, 08:47:50 PM »

Somewhat more on-topic: there's going to be a mechanic in place that makes sure you're only going to keep a good relationship with one of the (currently 4) major factions.
No more faction relationship Mambo #5?!?!?!

(How does this work with mods? Asking for Nexerelin, but it'll be relevant for faction mods too)

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2015, 10:58:45 PM »

I typically find that if I'm wealthy enough to purchase and outfit a half dozen cruisers (ditto for a dozen) I can fairly easily maintain their supply costs and still build a tidy profit. Being able to chase down fleets is irrelevant because I just tend to hang around the starbase/planet of my enemy faction (usually ludd) and just murder every fleet that pops up, accumulating supplies, fuel and tradables. Making a quick jaunt to the nearest station, selling everything, then going back. In about an hour and a half I can make 6-10 million credits in profit.

All I'm really saying is that the 25 ship limit isn't prohibitive of making massive profits via trade or combat. And if you previously used a massive frigate fleet, there are other options out there that are just as lucrative.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2015, 05:51:52 AM »

For trade, 25 ships is not a problem.  Five frigates and twenty Atlases exceed 100 Logistics (but not 200 Logistics).

For combat, currently, frigates are more efficient than everything else in the campaign.  I do not care if bigger ships can fight as well or slightly better if they cannot exploit several other critical game elements as well as frigates.  In 0.7, reversed Navigation bonuses will probably fix the most important element - burn speed.  Navigation 10 is primarily why I use nothing but frigates.  Of course, cheap upkeep and fast CR recovery for frigates are great too.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2015, 06:36:57 AM »

Yeah, it's all entirely different in 0.7a. The investigations work differently now, too - without spoiling too much, you have an opportunity for, shall we say, direct intervention.

I'ma gonna bribe me some investigators, seems like ;D  Either that or off them, but I don't see why they would leave their cozy planetary atmospheres.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »

(How does this work with mods? Asking for Nexerelin, but it'll be relevant for faction mods too)

(There are a few settings in the .faction file that control how it works - whether the faction cares about you rep w/ others and whether others care about your rep w/ the faction.)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2015, 02:02:33 PM »

Somewhat more on-topic: there's going to be a mechanic in place that makes sure you're only going to keep a good relationship with one of the (currently 4) major factions.

Darn. One of the things I've found most frustrating from a player standpoint was the being punished for trading in shared systems thing, where trading covers everything upto and including buying supplies/fuel/crew.
From a reality/immersion pov it makes sense, but from a gameplay pov it is barmy.
I was really hoping that was going to be toned down a bit, but from the sounds of things it's gone/going the other way.

And for your continued derailing pleasure - anyone who doesn't put flak cannons on a Dominator is silly.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »

I was really hoping that was going to be toned down a bit, but from the sounds of things it's gone/going the other way.

Hmm. I'm not sure I see an argument for continuing with the current "be friends with everybody and smash only pirates with the best available gear" state of things. "Pick one faction and fight more challenging enemies with less ships/weapons available" sounds a lot better to me, from a gameplay perspective.

(Edit: interestingly, I think the mechanic of losing reputation for trading with enemies in a shared system will now become a benefit.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:26:39 PM by Alex »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »

Darn. One of the things I've found most frustrating from a player standpoint was the being punished for trading in shared systems thing, where trading covers everything upto and including buying supplies/fuel/crew.
This, along with awful locations and small markets, are why the Valhalla system is... never worth visiting.

And for your continued derailing pleasure - anyone who doesn't put flak cannons on a Dominator is silly.
Not necessarily.  There are trade-offs.  Dual flak has better PD.  Trading dual flak for Mauler/HVD/Needlers has better efficiency (flux and OP costs) and firepower.  I go for the firepower option with Dominator.  (Otherwise, I prefer Eagle for more speed and easier kiting, and Eagle eats a bit less than Dominator.)  This assumes I want to brawl with Hellbore/HAG/Mjonir plus Maulers/HVDs.  If I want to kite-and-snipe with Gauss Cannons, no other ballistics have 1200 range, and I might as well put Flak Cannons in medium mounts, and rely on renewable Pilums for HE damage.  Gauss Cannon pair does a lot of burst damage to shields, often overloading AI like AM blaster does.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »

Hmm. I'm not sure I see an argument for continuing with the current "be friends with everybody and smash only pirates with the best available gear" state of things. "Pick one faction and fight more challenging enemies with less ships/weapons available" sounds a lot better to me.

That reminds me, will a vengeful relationship be reversible/harder to acquire in .7? If a negative relationship to major factions becomes commonplace it would be a hassle to get permanently stuck there (easily).
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 03:30:34 PM »

That reminds me, will a vengeful relationship be reversible/harder to acquire in .7? If a negative relationship to major factions becomes commonplace it would be a hassle to get permanently stuck there (easily).

No on both counts. It's not something you can acquire accidentally or, for that matter, easily - you'd have to pursue retreating enemy ships while already deep into "hostile".

(Man, did this thread ever get off-topic. My sincere apologies to xenoargh.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]