Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Low FPS in Fullscreen & Borderless Window  (Read 11999 times)

validfrom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Low FPS in Fullscreen & Borderless Window
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »

With your advice I managed to apply a bandaid fix by forcing the resolution override in settings.json to something like 1600x899 and running it in windowed mode. I do prefer fullscreen but at the moment this is perfectly playable.

Thanks for your help  :)

Chairman Meow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 04:40:39 AM »

doing the same for now, glad we could help each other out until this is fixed for good :D

Edit: forcing resolution to 1600x899 in windowed still seems to load in 1600x900 or at least doesn't fix it for me unless I turn undecorated window off in the config.
That way it works fine, are you doing the same?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:54:02 AM by Chairman Meow »

validfrom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »

Hmm, it appears that the undecorated window setting was set to false for me by default because I don't recall ever changing it. It seems that with just undecorated window set to false and the default resolution settings the FPS problems persist on my end. If your game runs fine without messing around with custom resolutions then I guess we have slightly different problems but I'm glad things worked out for the both of us in the end  :).

In case you ever want to force custom resolutions in the future I found that I had to remove the # symbol before the resolution override setting for it to actually work.

Chairman Meow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »

Nah, pretty sure it's the same for me.
Running on a Lenovo IdeaPad 430u with a geforce GT 730M.

Running in borderless windowed with a custom resolution will make it basically fullscreen and still show the problems.

If I turn undecorated to false so it shows borders and window title (as in decorated window) it works perfectly fine.

now I just need to figure out the actual resolution I need to force so the windows won't go off screen at the bottom :D

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »

Hey guys, I also returned to the game after a fairly long hiatus, and after upgrading to a new PC, I am also experiencing the same issue. I have encountered low fps when running fullscreen on my GPU, and my idle percentage is zero or close to zero at all times. I am using an nVidia 860M GPU, and also have integrated graphics on board via an i7. I have attempted many of the solutions already offered here on the forum, including running x64 java, allocating more memory, checking that my nVidia GPU is running the game and not the integrated graphics, running in windowed and borderless windowed, disabling Aero themes, disabling dpi scaling, disabling vSync, and checking AA settings on my card. So far, the only two solutions that have made a noticeable difference in the performance of the game are running in windowed (not borderless windowed) with a custom resolution and running the game on my integrated graphics as opposed to the 860M. I've chosen the latter as the lesser of two evils, since I can still run in full screen at 60 fps without any serious issues, but it most likely provides a lower performance ceiling than I would encounter using my graphics card. I just wanted to inform others that this issue can be reproduced, and that there is another temporary solution (running on integrated graphics). I suspect this is a result of sub-optimal interaction between nVidia hardware/drivers and Starsector, and from a development standpoint its unclear whether this is the dev team's issue to fix, but I would appreciate any attention and help that can be directed to the matter. Thanks!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 11:42:27 AM »

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. This *really* sounds like a driver problem, unfortunately, and not something I can do anything about on my end. I mean, there's nothing in the code that works differently in fullscreen or undecorated window mode, aside from initially telling the application to run that way.

Knowing that it runs as expected on the integrated card takes the OS out of the equation - the thing changing is the drivers being used - so it's very much looking like an NVIDIA driver issue.

now I just need to figure out the actual resolution I need to force so the windows won't go off screen at the bottom :D

Just FYI, trying to force a resolution that your monitor/graphics driver doesn't support will result in it picking the closest resolution to that. So specifying something like 1600x899 will just run in 1600x900, unless the drivers can actually handle that oddball resolution, which chances are they can't.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 12:49:37 PM »

This has to be a driver issue, probably related to Windows 10 (are you on W10?).  There is just no real difference in code between full and windowed, aside from initialization.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 06:20:37 AM »

Rats thought I remembered to include everything. I am running windows 8.1, so I don't think this is a Windows 10 thing. And I'm also running on the newest drivers. As of now its workable, and I'm lucky enough not to have any FPS issues running off the integrated graphics package. Whatever, I'll take what I can then and be on my way. Thanks for all the help guys.
Pages: 1 [2]