Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Expanded Battles  (Read 108037 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded Battles
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2015, 07:18:35 PM »

How did I miss this?

OH HELL YES MY PREDICTION WAS RIIIIIGHT!!!!

There is no way I can express my excitement through words right now.  Just...something amazing.

EDIT:
Must calm down and compose myself before reading this, and posting something completely harmful to myself, heh.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:28:51 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 07:41:13 PM »

This is a bit disappointing, I was looking forward to three-way battles. A scenario in which both enemy fleets by themselves would be too much for you but if you sneak into their battle and try to pick them off one at a time while they are locked in battle with each other sounds very appealing to me.

Unfortunately it might be prevented by practical concerns regarding the AI.  Modding experiments with adding additional sides resulted in some issues, though it's been long enough that about the only thing I recall was the side 3 ship, which if memory serves was hoped to be neutral, was instead hostile to everything.  This may no longer be the case given the modifications to the AI this change would have necessitated, but it may still be beyond what the game can handle.

It just occurred to me, since I'm assuming (and you confirmed) three-way battles would be a pain code-wise, what if we could choose to assist one of the hostile factions? As in after you click their battle you have a choice to [Assist X Faction]  [Assist Y Faction]
Then they'd be neutral to you in that battle I guess but turn hostile if you open fire to any of their ships. It'd make for a nice way to get some rep points with hostile factions since getting those are incredibly difficult and perhaps this might be a good new option. Of course we could also have some limitations, like not being able to assists fleets with the upper hand or having a hate level above "hostile" that would deny even actions like this.

As far as 3+ side battles - yeah, it's just too much of a pain code-wise. I also think it's one of those things that sounds like more fun that it would be in practice. The "right" AI behavior would be to play defensively; anything else would just open it up to player abuse. I mean, the whole idea behind what makes it sound fun is basically abusing the hell out of the AI. Those things are fun for a bit but lose their luster longer term, and take away from the game overall.

As far as helping a hostile faction: in-world-logic wise, in that scenario, neither faction would trust you to help. In game design terms, I think it'd cause problems where, you know, you might decide to take out a bunch of your "allies" by "accident". You know, pretty much the reason neither faction would trust you to help in the first place. And if they turn hostile to you if you start doing that, then we're back to the 3-fleet thing. It's just super messy for what feels like, at least to me, ultimately dubious reasons.

Nuts 'n bolts questions:
- How do allies interact with the FP/logistics limit for ships in a single battle? Do they share a common cap?

Same cap, which is the same as for normal battles. Allies will leave you some points to deploy, to a minimum of your flagship, and more if your fleet is comparatively large.

- Say an NPC-NPC battle takes two days. Joining at 1.99 days is functionally the same as joining right at the start, I take it?

Not exactly, since at least one autoresolve round will have happened by then.

Unrelated thought: Officer portrait above the flux/CR bar on every ship looks like clutter, at least judging from the screenshot. They tell you there's an officer on board, but unless you remember which face is which officer it doesn't seem like they communicate more info than that (like the key "what combat skills will this ship have?")
Could ships instead get a "has officer" icon, with the portrait only on targeted ships and in places like the ship info card?

This shot is particularly officer-rich. It doesn't feel cluttered in practice, at least so far. The main thing the icon communicates, aside from the fact that an officer is on board, is the officer's level - which is a very good indicator of their overall strength. I did think about showing this only for targeted ships, but it's just too important a piece of information not to have up at all times. But I guess what you're suggesting would still do that, just with a smaller and different icon. Hmm. I think I like the portraits better - they look nice, convey more information if you *do* recognize the officer, and are more intuitive than a "hey, what IS that icon" that a different - and smaller - icon would be.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 07:52:18 PM »

Super excited! :D

One thing I've always liked about the Total War series is when allies join in, it's from their relative direction on the map, making it possible to deploy forces on the side (or to the rear) onto the map.  Something like that here might spice things up/offer tactical, time based choices.

Also regarding fleets raiding, perhaps we could have an initial combat choice of "attempt quick strike" which would deploy only your fleet and the contacted enemy fleet on a very tight map and you have a very short amount of time to defeat the enemy or their nearby reinforcements appear on top of you and with some beacons captured.  Would offer the ability for a pirate fleet to do a risky quick strike on a freighter fleet among defensive fleets.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 07:54:27 PM »

Alright, as per usual of me, I completely ignore the entire point of the blog post and my eyes automatically zip to the screenshots and pick them apart.  And I've found some novel-looking Enforcers and Lasher in two of them.  Looks like Hegemony-colored Enforcers and Lashers - which is nice. :)

Seems like most of my questions were already answered due to my lateness (most of the edge-case things like the being able to use allied carriers or if player battles take time, etc.), so I'll sit this one out until I think of something new.

Also: this has got the be the biggest update since the campaign got added, if not bigger than that itself.  Wonder what kind of media attention it'll get - I could see TotalBiscuit doing yet another video on this game.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:12:05 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2015, 08:14:10 PM »

:)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »

Seems like chain-battling can make a comeback, and I do not need to spend CR for every last fleet I want to fight, if enemies keep joining the first fight.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »

I could see TotalBiscuit doing yet another video on this game.

Unlikely.  The best he'd do is stream it.  If he does another video it will be upon 1.0 release.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 08:31:28 PM »

Terrain and multi-fleet battles are going to give combat some good variety.

Alright, as per usual of me, I completely ignore the entire point of the blog post and my eyes automatically zip to the screenshots and pick them apart.  And I've found some novel-looking Enforcers and Lasher in two of them.  Looks like Hegemony-colored Enforcers and Lashers - which is nice. :)

I wonder if there will be more skins for other factions too (hopefully). All in all i'm even more hyped for the new update.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2015, 09:11:34 PM »

Unfortunately it might be prevented by practical concerns regarding the AI.  Modding experiments with adding additional sides resulted in some issues, though it's been long enough that about the only thing I recall was the side 3 ship, which if memory serves was hoped to be neutral, was instead hostile to everything.  This may no longer be the case given the modifications to the AI this change would have necessitated, but it may still be beyond what the game can handle.
As far as 3+ side battles - yeah, it's just too much of a pain code-wise. I also think it's one of those things that sounds like more fun that it would be in practice. The "right" AI behavior would be to play defensively; anything else would just open it up to player abuse. I mean, the whole idea behind what makes it sound fun is basically abusing the hell out of the AI. Those things are fun for a bit but lose their luster longer term, and take away from the game overall.

As far as helping a hostile faction: in-world-logic wise, in that scenario, neither faction would trust you to help. In game design terms, I think it'd cause problems where, you know, you might decide to take out a bunch of your "allies" by "accident". You know, pretty much the reason neither faction would trust you to help in the first place. And if they turn hostile to you if you start doing that, then we're back to the 3-fleet thing. It's just super messy for what feels like, at least to me, ultimately dubious reasons.

Fair enough, can't wait for the update.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »

Oh yeah!  :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2015, 10:48:09 PM »

I've mentioned it in a suggestion many moons ago, but the way I would handle campaign time passing for player battles would be to have it pass between when they choose their option (battle, retreat, etc.) and when the battle, escape battle, etc. actually begin.

You click battle, a day or two goes by, giving nearby fleets a chance to join, then the battle happens instantly campaign-time-wise.

This would be the best way to handle this situation, so engaging a fleet also ties in with sensor information gameplay. Also there could be skills / ship mods  etc that ties in with this time.

Otherwise it just goes back to picking fleet off one by one if the AI join range is too small, and if its too large it would also be quite annoying.

This shot is particularly officer-rich. It doesn't feel cluttered in practice, at least so far. The main thing the icon communicates, aside from the fact that an officer is on board, is the officer's level - which is a very good indicator of their overall strength. I did think about showing this only for targeted ships, but it's just too important a piece of information not to have up at all times. But I guess what you're suggesting would still do that, just with a smaller and different icon. Hmm. I think I like the portraits better - they look nice, convey more information if you *do* recognize the officer, and are more intuitive than a "hey, what IS that icon" that a different - and smaller - icon would be.

Also a suggestion, the portrait should be placed BELOW the flux and hull bars this way it is much less in the way.
I suppose we will also be getting much more officer portraits?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2015, 10:53:53 PM »

Also a suggestion, the portrait should be placed BELOW the flux and hull bars this way it is much less in the way.

Tried that, actually! It felt more in the way because it was covering up part of the ship more often.

I suppose we will also be getting much more officer portraits?

I think there's a couple more; David's been re-working a lot of these to have an improved and coherent style. It's a gradual process, but over time, yes, definitely.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »

I come home to this... Good gods YEEESSSSSSSSS~!
Yess yess yess~! AND YES TILL MY GUTS FLY OUT~!!!

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 11:27:01 PM »

Are allies supported in missions, or is this campaign only for now?

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2015, 12:59:43 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17