Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What do you desire most?

More ships
- 285 (55.4%)
More weapons
- 101 (19.6%)
Something else?
- 128 (24.9%)

Total Members Voted: 514

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40

Author Topic: [0.9.1a-RC8] Tiandong Heavy Industries v1.2.1a - Updated 11/1/19  (Read 453083 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a-RC8] Tiandong Heavy Industries v1.2.1a - Updated 11/1/19
« Reply #540 on: August 23, 2021, 10:46:06 PM »

Tiandong Heavy Industries has a campaign rig that is more complex than any other faction mod by several orders of magnitude. Often times the things sacrificed best practices so they could actually be done in a reasonable time frame. Tested heavily to be sure it worked fine, thus it fit the definition of it is stupid and it works then it isn't stupid. It has the side effect though of making it difficult to update properly without either already being deeply familiar with its code base or spending a LOT of time doing a code review of everything even stuff the IDE is not puking blood on.

I saw the post a while back from the Anon who did the bootleg update, he literally said he shitted it together, and put it out there with no testing beyond making sure it started up. That, combined with the previous points stated, in addition to reports from players who told me they had problems with the bootleg is why I am saying with total honesty... That it is a Bad Idea to use it.

Do as you will though, is your game to *** up. Just please don't distribute it :)

Abominable

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 24, 2021, 07:27:28 AM »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll take the author's advice, though. If it's worth it, it's worth waiting for. Plus I'm pretty sure there's enough mods here to keep me busy for quite a while.

Corelious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 24, 2021, 10:37:16 AM »

I mean,  I really don't get the big issue with playing an unofficial version. Seems a bit tribalistic - I think it should be fine for people to do so.  So long as they understand that it isn't officially supported and that there could be technical issues. 

As for the unofficial version, are people at least allowed to tell me where to look for the unofficial version?  I am not asking for a link, just a point in the right direction.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 24, 2021, 12:22:45 PM »

Tiandong Heavy Industries has a campaign rig that is more complex than any other faction mod by several orders of magnitude. Often times the things sacrificed best practices so they could actually be done in a reasonable time frame. Tested heavily to be sure it worked fine, thus it fit the definition of it is stupid and it works then it isn't stupid. It has the side effect though of making it difficult to update properly without either already being deeply familiar with its code base or spending a LOT of time doing a code review of everything even stuff the IDE is not puking blood on.

I saw the post a while back from the Anon who did the bootleg update, he literally said he shitted it together, and put it out there with no testing beyond making sure it started up. That, combined with the previous points stated, in addition to reports from players who told me they had problems with the bootleg is why I am saying with total honesty... That it is a Bad Idea to use it.

Do as you will though, is your game to *** up. Just please don't distribute it :)

Interesting.
I've already completed a full playthrough with bootleg THI enabled and they seem to be doing alright in my current one as well. I recently boosted their relations with the Roider Union to make them form an alliance, as that seemed thematically fitting, and the two of them are prospering together.
Either I got lucky multiple times or whatever condition would break the game is rather specific to trigger.

As for the unofficial version, are people at least allowed to tell me where to look for the unofficial version?  I am not asking for a link, just a point in the right direction.

I came across it by chance on the discord, so that might be a good starting point.

Mathmatics

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 14, 2022, 05:46:39 PM »

Have not played SS in a good while. This will be my first playthrough without Tiandong Heavy Industries. Feels weird. That being said I hope the modder is doing well and we can see an update sometime. I can not even imagine how much work a mod like this is.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 15, 2022, 07:49:11 PM »

I remember those ultra heavy autocannons very fondly lol...

xXspeedfistXxD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 16, 2022, 01:43:10 PM »

will this be updated to the latest version or is this abandoned?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 16, 2022, 02:00:16 PM »

Probably won't get updated, but is definitely not abandoned.

VivaLozTioz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 17, 2022, 06:17:18 AM »

I really hope this gets updated at some point in the future. I really loved this mod. Great work and no pressure though.

IGdood

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 17, 2022, 08:40:23 AM »

There's a bootleg somewhere that doesn't seem to crash
At least to my knowledge there's two bootlegs I believe.  One crashes from fleet spawning and the other one by "Kind Stranger" seems stable.

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 17, 2022, 09:08:46 AM »

the delayed gratification will be glorious

Justinkid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 17, 2022, 02:17:14 PM »

Can someone explain where to find the bootleg versions? You don't have to link it obviously, but I would not even know where to look for mods outside of this forum. Could someone at least give me a hint or point me in the direction?

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 18, 2022, 12:16:47 AM »

Can someone explain where to find the bootleg versions? You don't have to link it obviously, but I would not even know where to look for mods outside of this forum. Could someone at least give me a hint or point me in the direction?
Try asking out in modding community discord. That's where most modders dwell, including those who don't post their mods on forum.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 18, 2022, 02:54:28 AM »

Try asking out in modding community discord. That's where most modders dwell, including those who don't post their mods on forum.

you won't find it there, meso's one of the moderators
it's also an awful bootleg that crashes whenever a tiandong fleet tries to spawn, meso wasn't lying about it being unstable earlier
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 02:57:07 AM by Ruddygreat »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40