Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What do you desire most?

More ships
- 285 (55.4%)
More weapons
- 101 (19.6%)
Something else?
- 128 (24.9%)

Total Members Voted: 514

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40

Author Topic: [0.9.1a-RC8] Tiandong Heavy Industries v1.2.1a - Updated 11/1/19  (Read 453250 times)

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Tiandong Heavy Industries v1.1.2 - Updated 1/10/17
« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »

when using SO, i think despite Needlers' burst and flux-efficiency, i'd go with Railguns or even LDACs, since the range penalties mostly negate one of the primary advantages of Needlers. Railguns have higher sustained DPS, better accuracy vs small targets, and a bit lower OP cost, and LDACs just have very low OP cost. 3 Railguns use 96 more flux per second, but putting the 6 OP saved into vents would increase dissipation by 120 (with SO). 3 LDACs use 75 more flux but allow for 200 higher dissipation + 400 capacity.

Blackrock's Volley Guns are also a good choice for SO loadouts, especially if you want something bursty, although their combination of high flux cost (despite being rather efficient) and high OP cost (same as Needlers) might strain flux levels too much.

Although the range does get reduced significantly, the needler in the forward-facing side mounts actually slightly outranges the triphammer whereas the railgun and LDACs have slightly lower range than the triphammer, which means that on initial contact the needlers will dump most of its damage before the first triphammer shot connects, whereas the railgun only gets a shot or two (the needlers also have better projectile speed IIRC, which means they are more accurate until you get a good amount of target-leading). Most destroyers without excellent shield stats are highly keen to stay away from a needler Qianzi after the initial volley, whereas they will continue to trade fire for a bit longer with a railgun variant, offsetting the better vents/caps on the SO railgun variant with more hard flux damage.

For players it's ultimately down to preference and flying style, but for the AI it can make a noticeable difference. The combination of slightly higher range and burst damage makes the ship more confident against enemies with similar gun ranges (the triple needler variant fairly reliably kills all 2-3 of the Raider, Assault and Outdated Enforcers in sims in ~100 seconds, about the same time it sometimes takes the railgun to kill the first one of three, although both variants do win the 1v3 in the test sims I ran before making the post). The better vents you can put on the LDAC/railgun variants make them more eager to get stuck in against heavier beam pressure though.

Volley guns are also a good shout, I'll probably try them out on an SO Qianzi at some point to see how well that works.

Thanks to both =)

Will give these builds a shot next time I find myself with one.

Have fun and good hunting :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:29:47 PM by stormbringer951 »
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders
Old Hyperion - for your dose of nostalgia
Adjustable Skill Thresholds - set fleet DP and fighter bay thresholds

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 17, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »

For players it's ultimately down to preference and flying style, but for the AI it can make a noticeable difference.
ah, yes, i was only talking about a player-piloted one. makes sense that Needlers' advantages make them much better suited for AI. :]

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2017, 04:41:52 AM »

Found something weird.
I'm not sure if this is specific to this mod, or something else entirely. But since I've only ever encountered this at one Tiandong port I thought here would be a good place to start.

The port in question is Macau in Magec.
When trying to access the trade/commodities area, the market interaction music stutters briefly before stopping entirely and SS itself becomes entirely unresponsive to further input.
There is no fault written to the log.
Last few entries:
Spoiler
7967256 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.TradeInfoUpdateEvent  - Picking market updates
7968739 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [TiandongMarketInteractionFriendly.ogg]
7968739 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.H  - Playing music with id [TiandongMarketInteractionFriendly.ogg]
[close]

I tried another new game and it worked fine with no problem.
But the new save has the following entries:
Spoiler
253918 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [TiandongMarketInteractionNeutral.ogg]
253918 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.H  - Playing music with id [TiandongMarketInteractionNeutral.ogg]
253931 [Thread-8] INFO  sound.F  - Creating music buffer #2
259791 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.TradeInfoUpdateEvent  - Picking market updates
[close]
Which appears to be where it got stuck.
Note: Lack of buffering in the problem save.

No idea where this has come from, never seen it before.
Not a clue what to do other than avoid Macau.
I'm not even sure this is something that is specifically fixable, treat it as an "FYI - this thing happened".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:46:14 AM by Serenitis »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2017, 05:13:51 AM »

Found something weird.
I'm not sure if this is specific to this mod, or something else entirely. But since I've only ever encountered this at one Tiandong port I thought here would be a good place to start.

The port in question is Macau in Magec.
When trying to access the trade/commodities area, the market interaction music stutters briefly before stopping entirely and SS itself becomes entirely unresponsive to further input.
There is no fault written to the log.
Last few entries:
Spoiler
7967256 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.TradeInfoUpdateEvent  - Picking market updates
7968739 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [TiandongMarketInteractionFriendly.ogg]
7968739 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.H  - Playing music with id [TiandongMarketInteractionFriendly.ogg]
[close]

I tried another new game and it worked fine with no problem.
But the new save has the following entries:
Spoiler
253918 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [TiandongMarketInteractionNeutral.ogg]
253918 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.H  - Playing music with id [TiandongMarketInteractionNeutral.ogg]
253931 [Thread-8] INFO  sound.F  - Creating music buffer #2
259791 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.TradeInfoUpdateEvent  - Picking market updates
[close]
Which appears to be where it got stuck.
Note: Lack of buffering in the problem save.

No idea where this has come from, never seen it before.
Not a clue what to do other than avoid Macau.
I'm not even sure this is something that is specifically fixable, treat it as an "FYI - this thing happened".
Are you using java 8 by any chance?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2017, 05:19:04 AM »

Might be another occurrence of this commodity icon bug

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »

JAVA_VERSION="1.8.0_101"

Histi, thanks for pointing out that thread. At least it shouldn't be an issue for 0.8.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »

Use JRE 7, this has been a thing for a long while.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2017, 02:48:01 PM »

JAVA_VERSION="1.8.0_101"

Histi, thanks for pointing out that thread. At least it shouldn't be an issue for 0.8.
Have you changed the VMPRAMS file or the included java that came with SS? If so then yeah, it might also be Java 8, which you are using, that is causing these freezes as that happened to me several times when playing around .7 when vanilla used Java 8.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 30, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »

Use JRE 7, this has been a thing for a long while.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726
Yes. It was x64 in any case.
Just swapped over to 7 and it makes no difference to the market stall at Macau.

Have you changed the VMPRAMS file or the included java that came with SS?
Yes.
The included java didn't work at all with changed params. So this was a straight folder transplant.
Currently: -Xms1024m -Xmx3072m

I did get Java 8 for a reason, but it was a while ago and I can't remember what it was. 7 seems to work though so I'll leave it alone.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:12:29 AM by Serenitis »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2017, 01:04:13 AM »

Well, I am back after building a new rig after my last one randomly died! Still setting it up as a work space as that takes a while as my old one was vast and highly configured with many programs.

Anyways, sorry to hear you are having that issue Serenitis but as explained there is nothing that can be done as it is simply a vanilla economy simulation problem that 0.8 will correct.

Also, I think folks will enjoy the planned THI content post 0.8, a couple of new weapons or maybe three, some really interesting new fighters, new ships, and maybe some additional custom campaign implementation things. The new ships especially are intended to be "player viable" flagship type vessels which is something the mod desperately needs more of. How long those things will take to be added I really am not sure, but most assuredly spread out over a minimum of two updates.

And as always, if anyone has content requests I will at least consider them :)

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2017, 03:25:23 AM »

Can't wait  ;D

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »

No pressure right?
Heh, anyways some new content may or may not occur in the 0.8x compatibility update... We shall see, if they do I will show some teasers as they get completed.

Peace_Destroyer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 04, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »

Looking forward to it, This and BRDY are my last two "must have" mods before I really get into .8

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 04, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »

I can't wait to expand my dongs.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 04, 2017, 07:49:39 PM »

I currently have been doing a fair bit of sprite work for THI, updating old ship sprites, and making some new ones for additional content. So here comes a question for you guys. Would you rather me hold off the update for "some amount" of additional time to add new ships etc? Or push it out a bit sooner, with nothing new but 1 or maybe 2 things and save other new content for later?

Either way, I am doing sprite updates to some old ships. Just been in the mood and the groove for painting as of late and it is also something I want to get done before adding any new ships.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40