Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: are the tri- tacyon suposed to be super anoying?  (Read 4588 times)

Daifri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
are the tri- tacyon suposed to be super anoying?
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »

yea ive been playing the campaign some. im not very good. but the tri tacyon seem to be able to beat any similar sized force and whenever i engage them the tempests will always retreat. they only seem to be taken down by the giant hegemony forces with like 4 capital ships. they also camp around the space station alot and if i want to use the station i have to wait for a hegemony fleet to clear them out. 

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: are the tri- tacyon suposed to be super anoying?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »

Short answer is yes, haha.

Depends on your fleet, though. You just need to capture some tritach tech.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

SpookyMelon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »

I like them way more than the hegemony but because I'm keeping my fleet exclusively "high tech" I attack them whenever I can. If you left them alone they didn't attack you though.

Simberto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 09:33:24 PM »

As far as i am concerned, Tri-Tachyon or pansies. "Uhhh, we hide behind our 360° shields and fire with long-range lasers,   we could get our hands dirty if we do any real fighting", while the Hegemony uses big, manly ships. Minimal shields, big armor, big guns, big explosions. I am pretty sure that Hegemony ships smell like oil and burning gasoline, while Tri-Tachyon's are parfumed.

AdmiralMaelstrom

• Lieutenant
  • When death approaches, fire another volley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:37 PM »

I'd rather live and be a *** while still completing my objective than be dead and manly lol. Tri-tach all the way! Only two class of ships I keep around that aren't Tri-tach are Thunger-wings (omfg amazing) and several Onslaught classes.
Whatever it takes, no matter the cost.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 10:27:59 PM »

Since you all seem to be rather polarized on your opinion of factions, I think I might be a bit of an outlier. I am fond of the Wolf-class ships for their spectacular performance, despite their rarity, but I really hate the Tri-Tachyon faction because of the uneven ships. The Hegemony is pretty awesome because of the already-mentioned manly awesomeness. So, in the end I am really just fond of the Mercenary group, because they use both kinds of ships, along with some of the rarer middle-level tech ships.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Daifri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »

ok well are there any effective counters to the tri tachyons?
besides more high tech ships because they seem to be exspensive and hard to get for me atleast.
i had a tempest but i sadly lost it.
also are lasher frigates bad?
they seem to be effective if they can manage to get close to tri tacyon ships with the pd vulcans smashing through shields then unloading high exsplosive.
but they dont have the speed and manuverability to catch some of the high tech ships.

Simberto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »

High-tech ships in this game are usually just better then others. They have more weapons slots, better flux handling, and better shields. To fight a TT armada efficiently, you either need high-tech ships yourself, or just lots of stuff, and prepare to have some losses if you use the second way. When fighting against TT, you should always have some sort of anti-shield (kinetic?) weaponry, because most of their ships have pretty strong 360° shields.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:29:59 PM »

You can get a medusa at the station, as well as an apogee, for sure: some other high tech ships can be purchased randomly (Such as the aurora or odyssey)

By camping around the station when a large hegemony defense fleet is there, often times attacking TT fleets will survive with only a couple capships and fighters, all often badly wounded, meaning that you can ambush them right after their battle, and take them on for a heightened change of forcing a surrender, or at least capturing them after a curbstomp battle.

Having a buttload of thunders and a bunch of useless ships simply taking up FP helps in forcing surrenders, because the massive fleet size will intimidate them into trying to escape, and the thunders are the fastest fighters in the game, allowing you to steal all the command points, and the useless otherwise-cannonfodder ships (like swarms of hounds, buffalo IIs, etc) probably doing things like sitting around, with the crews eating popcorn and watching the "battle" play out. Having some carriers near by will help too; those can be fielded in battle to provide any support lest the thunders take damage or use up their single missiles.

Daifri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »

besides the condor are there any other carriers?
and are the thunders the better fighters then the higher tech fighters?

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »

The astral is the only other dedicated carrier at this point, but the venture, odyssey, atlas, and gemini all have flight decks as well.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 08:42:50 AM »

condor is a ship converted into a dedicated carrier

Baleur

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »

Since you all seem to be rather polarized on your opinion of factions, I think I might be a bit of an outlier. I am fond of the Wolf-class ships for their spectacular performance, despite their rarity, but I really hate the Tri-Tachyon faction because of the uneven ships. The Hegemony is pretty awesome because of the already-mentioned manly awesomeness. So, in the end I am really just fond of the Mercenary group, because they use both kinds of ships, along with some of the rarer middle-level tech ships.

Uneven? I LOVE asymmetrical ships! They have my fav ship designs by far. Well, except for the arrow-shaped destroyers on the other side.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »

honestly im usually not a fan of asymmetrical ships. it takes a LOT for me to like them.. but so far Starfarers' ship designs are all coming up spades. keep em coming with this kind of detail and ill like them all.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.