Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Faction Music  (Read 46132 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Faction Music
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 08:07:34 AM »

PS: i would like to hear clean metal hitting sound in some faction music ( like pirates )
something like hitting empty beer keg (Slipknot -Duality, or Terinator 2 theme ) i dunno :P
I don't think it's widely known but there already are all three neutral/friendly/hostile versions of the pirate theme in the music.bin archive (that VLC read alright) and... it's not exactly like that. Still pretty good though. But maybe it has been reworked since.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 08:25:11 AM »

I just quickly wanted to chime in about repetition:

If there's anyone here who has an ultra-low threshold for getting annoyed by repetetive music, it has to be me. :) For everyone who feels like they are part of this club of sharp-eared neurotics I have this to say: I know you've been listening to the one campaign track a lot, but things will also get a lot better. Trust me.

Overall, when Starsector is finished I think it will stand out as a game where the developer (Alex, not me) has truly decided to invest and make sure that the audio side of what is still a small-budget independent endeavour is absolutely top of its class. I'm not talking about whether the music is good or bad - that's for you to decide - but about where the bar of standards for audio is set and how far things are driven. I know so many successful independent and even big-budget games where audio is literally an afterthought, and what we have here is the opposite.

If by the end of it you'll be annoyed by repetetive music, I believe you may be one of those people (like me) who go absolutely mad with audio rage with most games out there, and that can't be totally avoided because we are unable to license a hundred hours of music like GTA5. But you'll be hard-pressed to find another indie game that has gone to the lengths we have when it comes to audio.

I hope I don't sound defensive or eager to silence critics, my main point was just to tell you that - and I know you've heard this before - good things come to those who wait. :)

Meanwhile, keep the feedback coming - good and bad!

Audio is so often neglected that when it isn't, it really stands out. I've spent countless hours on the audio of my Starsector mods in no small part due to the standard you've set. I think my fav part of the game's sound effects is how weapon sounds often are kind of dry and staccato, while damage sounds are wet and detail-rich. Makes it satisfying when you get a good hit in.

Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us next.

And I'd like to restate that my main beef with the Hegemony track is that it sounds like it's being ran at a lower BPM than what it's written for. Can't really articulate why but it bugs me.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2015, 08:29:56 AM »

I don't think it's widely known but there already are all three neutral/friendly/hostile versions of the pirate theme in the music.bin archive (that VLC read alright) and... it's not exactly like that. Still pretty good though. But maybe it has been reworked since.

I'd considered commenting on those, so now that you bring it up: I feel like the neutral pirate soundtracks are more hostile sounding than the hostile ones.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »

A suggestion: Turn these faction specific recogizable melodies or beats into short fanfares. Auditory business cards, so to say. I could see several uses for them.

- use them in interactions which are very likely to be far too short for the real theme to unfold
- use them to alert the player to high priority news related to that faction
- in battle, use them to mark mayor changes in enemy situation (battle begin, general retreat, support fleet arrived(if multifleet battles get implemented)).
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »

- in battle, use them to mark mayor changes in enemy situation (battle begin, general retreat, support fleet arrived(if multifleet battles get implemented)).

Wait, WHAT?! Is this a thing? Or at least is it intended to be a thing?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2015, 05:37:25 PM »

Wait, WHAT?! Is this a thing? Or at least is it intended to be a thing?

There's a lot of people who want it to be a thing, but it is not a thing.
Spoiler
Although I think Alex alluded to the possibility once.
[close]

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »

@Stian:  That's cool stuff; it has a lot of 80's feel to it, in terms of the bassline and tempo, as well as the horn section (think sections from, say, The Running Man). 

It reminded me a little bit of a guy whose music I've used for a project who I keep in touch with; he just came out with a very 80's electronica album that's really cool.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing how this feature works in practice; hopefully it'll add a lot of depth to how encounters feel and identify the factions more effectively, as well as fleshing them out.

The only major issue I see with this is that this freezes the factions in place; from here on, they're going to get boxed in, in terms of themes, or work will be lost.  I am pretty excited that it's finally time to go there, but wow, that's a heavy responsibility; I'd have thought Alex / David would want to have their parts of the structure firmly in place first.

I'm sure that it's debatable which thing needs to happen when; I usually put in music last, after sound in general, so that I am comfy and know what kind of space I need to craft for, but I'm sure that it'll work out in the end :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »

Has the other faction music in addition to the hostile, inhospitable, neutral, friendly, and cooperative been completed yet?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »

The only major issue I see with this is that this freezes the factions in place; from here on, they're going to get boxed in, in terms of themes, or work will be lost.  I am pretty excited that it's finally time to go there, but wow, that's a heavy responsibility; I'd have thought Alex / David would want to have their parts of the structure firmly in place first.

I've had a pretty clear idea about what I think the factions should be for quite a long time (and the rambling design doc to prove it!) The vision laid out there is what Stian was working from (or so far as I believe; can't speak for him of course), and it's not quite what we see in-game yet. But it's not really important that every detail be correct in game - politics and history are a messy business! - so long as the broad strokes have the right flavour. And I think Stian's expression of the flavour of the factions via music has been excellent. (Just wait 'til you hear the rest of them!)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »

Has the other faction music in addition to the hostile, inhospitable, neutral, friendly, and cooperative been completed yet?

Only hostile, neutral and friendly themes exist and it has been this way within the game for quite a while now...

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »

To those who are complaining about the bass - it may stick out on its own, but it sounds almost the same as the bass in the original starsector music here (if a bit louder and more in your face): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_UR0i_NiAU
It is actually a very Starsector sound, and I think it fits the hegemony better than a more 'real' sounding bass would.

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »

I love the rhythm because of big it is, it really sets a theme of power. As to the bass, I did not immediately think retro, but of some post 2000 techno and electronic I like. I REALLY like it.

Not a big fan of the brass, I wish it wasn't there. While that constant sound is a theme of the starsector soundtrack, it's not something I prefer, since it takes away from the pop of the other sections coming and going. :-\The horns and strings didn't seem that great to me, appropriate but unoriginal. Don't get me wrong, it's well done!

I thought the rhythm fx added to the feel of the bass/rhythm/rhythm fx trio well. All in all, listening to it all together, I thought it was appropriate and great. Just my unprofessional impressions for you to consider Stain. With respect man, keep up the good work!
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2015, 08:34:41 PM »

When he played that music.... all I could think of is StarControl 2

here is a sample of the music on youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=3VNul2QETPE&index=25&list=PL070C2821EF87B676
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:19:25 PM by Typo91 »

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »

Awesome!

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:28 PM »

When he played that music.... all I could think of is StarControl 2

here is a sample of the music on youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=3VNul2QETPE&index=25&list=PL070C2821EF87B676
Oh wow. I just listened to them both side by side, and they really do sound pretty similar.

I'm no expert on music, or really know much about instruments, but I happen to think the  hegemony theme is perfectly fine as is. It sounds great to me.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6