Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Faction Music  (Read 46127 times)

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Faction Music
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 11:44:17 AM »

I like it!

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »

Hmmm... I guess I'm the only one who's not so much of a fan of the new track then. To each their own, I guess.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2015, 12:18:14 PM »

I also find it annoying when music is switched too frequently. Maybe any music except ambient music should play all the way through once is triggered. Or at least play until another non-ambient music starts. I've played games with that method a few times and barely noticed, which is pretty much success in this case. I imagine it would be a little bit more work but if you really want to do the music justice I would say it is worth it.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 12:28:48 PM »

Hmm. One thing there is that there are more things to do at a market now - browsing the mission postings and the comm directory, with more things to come later - so there's a good chance you'll be spending more time there.

Another point is that, if you're playing that quickly - which, yeah, happens as you get more proficient at the game and play more - I'd say you're likely not in a state of mind that's very receptive to immersion in the first place, but are more focused on mechanics.

Finally, I think if the music gets even a couple of seconds to play, it still "works" for immersion/faction flavor. The various faction tracks all come in strong and have a very distinct feel, even if not all the elements get a chance to play in that time. At least, this is my impression from playtesting.
While I agree that after a while I'm not that receptive to the immersion brought by the music, the issue is that the frequent music switches are actively detracting from it. Generally to the point I have to shut the game's music, and use a playlist in the back-ground to avoid constant cuts. In the case of Starsector, part of the problem is that except for the space ambiance the music start from the beginning each time. Maybe an unlikely example of a solution is GTA radios. They are almost different in every car, but each time you grab one, the radio do not start over, it's already mid-broadcast thus avoid only hearing the same few seconds. In addition you can hear it from outside when you are close. If Starsector did the same, the musics would probably sound much less repetitive.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »

I think if the bass line was more legato it would feel less like 90's game music. I don't mind it, but it seems one or two others do.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:48:09 PM by HartLord »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »

goddammit I've been listening to that 30-ish second on loop too many times

RELEASE ALREADY!!!!!  >:(
mmm.... tartiflette

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »

Just listened and really like it, alot...very much.
But, I would prefer a less electronic bass, I feel a deeper instrumental sound would benefit even more.

Still, frankly that sounds like a splendid Starsector Imperial March.

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »

While I agree that after a while I'm not that receptive to the immersion brought by the music, the issue is that the frequent music switches are actively detracting from it. Generally to the point I have to shut the game's music, and use a playlist in the back-ground to avoid constant cuts. In the case of Starsector, part of the problem is that except for the space ambiance the music start from the beginning each time. Maybe an unlikely example of a solution is GTA radios. They are almost different in every car, but each time you grab one, the radio do not start over, it's already mid-broadcast thus avoid only hearing the same few seconds. In addition you can hear it from outside when you are close. If Starsector did the same, the musics would probably sound much less repetitive.

Perhaps a solution here would be to have the music largely take place in systems that have a majority controlled by a given faction, and have hyperspace use some sort of muted, ethereal version in the vicinity, fading out as you get further away.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 06:48:21 PM »

It is not retro. Its just alot of modern games use recordings of real instruments or really high definition converted versions of them.

Basically its electornic-y sounding versus instrumental sounding effects, while the rythem and "instrument" is the same.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 02:11:35 AM »

I enjoyed this. The bass was big enough to make the subs in my headset come on :D Whenever music makes my ears rattle1 I enjoy that.

1: at least in a meaningful way, just shaking for the sake of shaking isn't as satisfying.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:26:59 AM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 06:31:23 AM »

I just quickly wanted to chime in about repetition:

If there's anyone here who has an ultra-low threshold for getting annoyed by repetetive music, it has to be me. :) For everyone who feels like they are part of this club of sharp-eared neurotics I have this to say: I know you've been listening to the one campaign track a lot, but things will also get a lot better. Trust me.

Overall, when Starsector is finished I think it will stand out as a game where the developer (Alex, not me) has truly decided to invest and make sure that the audio side of what is still a small-budget independent endeavour is absolutely top of its class. I'm not talking about whether the music is good or bad - that's for you to decide - but about where the bar of standards for audio is set and how far things are driven. I know so many successful independent and even big-budget games where audio is literally an afterthought, and what we have here is the opposite.

If by the end of it you'll be annoyed by repetetive music, I believe you may be one of those people (like me) who go absolutely mad with audio rage with most games out there, and that can't be totally avoided because we are unable to license a hundred hours of music like GTA5. But you'll be hard-pressed to find another indie game that has gone to the lengths we have when it comes to audio.

I hope I don't sound defensive or eager to silence critics, my main point was just to tell you that - and I know you've heard this before - good things come to those who wait. :)

Meanwhile, keep the feedback coming - good and bad!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:33:12 AM by StianStark »
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »

I quite dislike the bassline. It feels too electronic, and doesn't create the right kind of atmosphere for what the Hegemony is described as. It's more suited towards a smaller faction, or a faction which is more representitive of an individualistic, creative culture  such as Tri-Tachyon.

I quite like the rhythm and the melody though. Perhaps if the melody part was moved up earlier, so the bassline isn't quite so dominant

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2015, 06:50:59 AM »

If there's anyone here who has an ultra-low threshold for getting annoyed by repetetive music, it has to be me. :) For everyone who feels like they are part of this club of sharp-eared neurotics I have this to say: I know you've been listening to the one campaign track a lot, but things will also get a lot better. Trust me.
Just to be sure in case it was directed to my concerns: I'm not complaining about the repetition of the music overall, the tracks are pretty good and you need good chunk of game hours to only start to feel bored by the music. I'm complaining that on the contrary you can't listen to them because they get constantly interrupted by screens that plays another music for just a few seconds, then start over from the beginning. It has nothing to do with the quality and barely with the length of the music.

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 07:17:03 AM »

Finally a new blog post!
Not going to lie, part of my soul died when it turned out not to be the release of 0.7a, but I'm non the less excited ;)

Now on topic: This video changed how I view the Hegemony. During my gameplay they are usually my late game cannon fodder. Their outdated technology, specifically their shieds, makes them easy prey. But listening to this music I now have a newfound respect for them, A proud nation that has long excerted its power over the galaxy, but due to their sluggishness, both in battle and bureaucracy, is now slowly waning.
I haven't really read much lore, so I have no idea if that view is actually correct. But thats what I get from the music anyway ;)

Also, vlogs! Are they going to be a thing? Because I like. Some of the more visual subject could likely have benefitted from some actual footage.

Regards,
Oathseeker

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 07:41:55 AM »

No offence, but i don't like the "base line" it sound too much 8-bit
it's not like i don't like 8-bit music ( "angry joe" intro music is great)
but it's just don't fits to the StarSestor in my opinion

PS: i would like to hear clean metal hitting sound in some faction music ( like pirates )
something like hitting empty beer keg (Slipknot -Duality, or Terinator 2 theme ) i dunno :P
                                                                                                                                                               ::)
-the ABOMINATION - in progress
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6