Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fast Missile Racks AI  (Read 3402 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fast Missile Racks AI
« on: August 22, 2015, 09:22:58 AM »

I've noticed that the AI doesn't use Fast Missile Racks very well (since I was using a fleet full of them a while back), so I watched a Vigilance with only a Pilum LRM Launcher firing at an Atlas for several minutes a couple times.

I noticed several things:
The AI waits a varying amount of time after it fires its weapon to activate FMR. Sometimes this causes it to use FMR too early and get no effect. I saw this happen twice in a single run. Feature, I know. ;)

The AI uses Pilums oddly when it finally runs out of ready ammo: it will wait even though it has three missiles ready. I saw it sometimes fire the missiles after a bit; wait until it had four then fire the three; wait until it had four, fire three, use FMR, fire one; and wait until it had five, fire three, use FMR, fire two; but I never saw it wait until it had six, then fire two full volleys, like it seemed to be trying to do. In addition, when it didn't have any missiles ready to fire it would fly into Light MG range of the Atlas and just hang out while the Atlas drove up its flux.

I never saw the Vigilance's FMR charges drop to one. From this limited testing and what I've seen at other times, FMR may as well not have charges the way the AI uses it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fast Missile Racks AI
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »

Thanks for the report - yeah, the AI hasn't been updated since before FMR had charges and Pilums had ammo regen. I'll need to take a look at it at some point, appreciate the reminder. Not sure when I'll get to it, though, since in its current state it's basically 90% fine. Going to mark this thread unread so I know to come back to it :)

Taizo Puckett

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 04:03:23 AM »

Condor always use FMR as far as I notice.

HoustonWebster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 11:48:44 AM »

I am gonna bump this thread just in case if it wasn't fixed, and add that AI using FMR as soon as first pilum missile is launch making FMR not reloading it. This happen on all ships with FMR and pilum launcher

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »

and add that AI using FMR as soon as first pilum missile is launch making FMR not reloading it. This happen on all ships with FMR and pilum launcher

I have never seen that myself, and am unable to reproduce the behavior with a Pilum-armed Vigilance in the simulator. What ship setups are you seeing this with? And how often?

HoustonWebster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »

In simulation standard fire support vigilance vs vigilance let my on autopilot and on about 24-22 missiles left (3-4 salvo) this happen, also happen on condor vs venture

Edit:
I can make video if needed
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:37:52 PM by HoustonWebster »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 05:33:26 PM »

Thanks - no need for video, this is specific enough. Will take a look for the 0.7.2a release.

dis astranagant

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »

Not exactly AI related but I gotta say that Fast Missile Racks not letting me go all dakka dakka dakka with Annihilators was really disappointing when I tried it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 05:50:21 PM »

Given what the system does, it's not going to help with medium annihilators, but it does work with small ones. (Not the forum for this, though, really - this is for support/bug reports & related. Need to keep this clear of extraneous posts so I can keep a good eye on it.)