Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Provide incremental updates  (Read 3838 times)

Taizo Puckett

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Provide incremental updates
« on: August 19, 2015, 11:04:55 PM »

Release packages without JRE and containing only files that have changed since previous release. The point is to reduce download size. I understand that in these days of Gigabit home connections this sounds ridiculous, but there are still places in the world with metered and/or unstable 3G connections. And there are Starsector fans living there!

Such diff package can easily be made with tools like KDiff3.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Provide incremental updates
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:59:59 AM »

That's a pretty good idea. I know I'm sometimes limited to a shaky 3G phone connection.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »

When reading the title I thought this would be about having more frequent updates... the actual suggestion though seems really reasonable.

At some point Alex was thinking of switching the bundled JRE to a newer version? Or did that already happen? I don't remember.

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »

When reading the title I thought this would be about having more frequent updates... the actual suggestion though seems really reasonable.

At some point Alex was thinking of switching the bundled JRE to a newer version? Or did that already happen? I don't remember.

Ditto for thinking this was another entitlement/Alex owes us updates every week thread. My apologies for the presumption, OP.

Yeah, it really does sound like a solid plan, given that many SS owners have been around for a few versions. Where does the main bulk of the file size come from? If it's the art and sound assets, then by all means, this would be a drastic reduction of the file size. No need to download every single ship and sound if it's just a gameplay update.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »

Ditto for thinking this was another entitlement/Alex owes us updates every week thread. My apologies for the presumption, OP.

Yeah, it really does sound like a solid plan, given that many SS owners have been around for a few versions. Where does the main bulk of the file size come from? If it's the art and sound assets, then by all means, this would be a drastic reduction of the file size. No need to download every single ship and sound if it's just a gameplay update.
IIRC the bulk of the update comes from the included java (around 155 MBs on my machine with the total being around 355) but he includes that because if he didn't, some dumbass would download SS for the first time (and most likely the java free version) and then *** to all of his friends that it is a crap game that doesn't even work instead of looking up WHY it isn't working!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 10:39:26 AM »

IIRC the bulk of the update comes from the included java (around 155 MBs on my machine with the total being around 355) but he includes that because if he didn't, some dumbass would download SS for the first time (and most likely the java free version) and then *** to all of his friends that it is a crap game that doesn't even work instead of looking up WHY it isn't working!

Wow, the JRE takes that much space (don't have computer, but I believe you)?

I mean, Java doesn't update and break apps that often, does it? And virtually every machine should have at least some version of it installed...

Taizo Puckett

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 11:26:14 AM »

some dumbass would download SS for the first time (and most likely the java free version)

Full version with JRE have to be packaged and released anyway. The proposed update package can be hidden behind small "For advanced users only" link.

Wow, the JRE takes that much space

Yes, 124 Mb in my case.

I mean, Java doesn't update and break apps that often, does it? And virtually every machine should have at least some version of it installed...

Java updates often (every month or two) but usually don't break apps.

I guess most of us don't use bundled Java at all. Either because they need 64 bit Java to play with mods, or because they want latest, secure and auto-updating Java installed systemwide. I personally just replace the 'jre' folder with symlink after installation of a new SS version.

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 07:31:05 AM »

What do you guys mean by 150MB java? The windows SS installer is only 90MB. Are you talking about installed size?