Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Update on the Update  (Read 39219 times)

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Update on the Update
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2015, 09:58:05 PM »

Yea, its not like it has a regular series of massive updates and an active developer giving us updates as he makes features or anything.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2015, 11:34:02 PM »

Yeah I have long since lost faith in this game ever getting completed, it's more now watching in awe people try to believe that anything tangible will come of it.
Damn, the leap of logic between the first and second half of that sentence.  I myself am a little uncertain this game will reach feature-completion, at least within the time frame that I'm interested in and able to play it.  And yet, I still bought it three weeks ago knowing that information going in, because it has a pretty darn tangible tactical battle system - already the best one in existence, in my opinion, and that alone plus the basics of the campaign layer was definitely worth my money.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:36:34 PM by Adraius »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2015, 12:16:24 AM »

Given that after this 0.7 update the only major gameplay feature completely missing is Industry, I can't really understand why the doubts now (granted that's quite a large bite as new feature goes but still)... The rest is only content and expansion, and probably some procedural stuff, meaning the game may very well enter Beta in a bit more than a year.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2015, 12:42:51 AM »

Merely calling it "Industry" is an understatement.  "Industry" involves a total overhaul of the skill system, a significant rework of the sector economy, markets, and overall game flow, a large amount of additional content (including, most likely, Exploration, which would have to tie into Industry).  And then you get all the Industry-related features on top of that.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2015, 03:15:39 AM »

Of course it will be the biggest single feature in the game since Combat itself. As for Exploration, I wouldn't call it a feature in istelf but rather the by-product of the Sensors, Industry, Mission and a Codex rework. I don't think it needs that much specific mechanics solely for itself, but rather a lot of content.

I'm not trying to diminish the amount of work left, but rather pointing out the odd mind process behind declaring this game will never be finished when it's actually close to be feature complete in term of ticking boxes. Starsector could very well enter Beta in a bit more than a year...

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2015, 09:53:30 AM »

Yes and no. I supported this a while ago, and I admit, I wish I could give them more money, the game is great and I love the mechanics (I just wish there were more ships to play with, and that some of the ships already in the game could be implemented). However, I also know that no updates for months (and months...and months... and months) forces the gameplay to become stale, and every possible update has to somehow wow the player again.

there is still a LOT to do, but at the same time, we can't actually see that the work is being done.

I am a skeptic for any game that I support. I don't trust the developer until a product has been delivered (watching both indy devs and AAA devs deliver half finished garbage over the last four years has destroyed any hope of trust).

So, yeah, until I see progress beyond a blog post, I assume that nothing is being done. Trust me, I want this game and I like the dev, but I don't trust him.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »

Well thats uncharitable of you :P. Alex has never missed a deadline and has consistently put out polished, low bug releases that always include exactly what is in the blog posts. What could he do to be more trustworthy?

I'm also in the camp that would like more releases because I want to play with the shiny new toys, but I also understand that putting out a quality release means a lot of work. Its more efficient to do releases in 'packages'.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »

So, yeah, until I see progress beyond a blog post, I assume that nothing is being done. Trust me, I want this game and I like the dev, but I don't trust him.

There's such a thing as being too cautious. In a case where there is on the one hand a history of reliable updates in the past and on the other hand ample evidence of ongoing work (videos, pictures), assuming all of that to be fabrication requires willful, active disbelief.
Well, I can understand if one has no absolute faith that the game will be finished (feature complete and well rounded), but I do believe that Alex will do his best to get it there. I do trust in Alex, just not in the free flowing filaments of fate.

That said, I think some small content-updates along the way with new ships, weapons, portraits, sounds and so on could sweeten the waiting time for a new feature-update enormously.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »

[...] forces the gameplay to become stale, and every possible update has to somehow wow the player again.[...]
And that's in a good part why Alex put so much emphasis on the modding. Mods can "push the enveloppe", to use his own words, of what is possible within the game, create new stuf and maintain the interest of playing it between updates. If you haven't (witch I suspect from the sound of you post), you should try Nexerelin, SS+ and a couple of vanilla-friendly factions...

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2015, 11:03:24 AM »

there is still a LOT to do, but at the same time, we can't actually see that the work is being done.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »

*surveys enormous number of blog posts with media* "Ugh... when is Alex going to get off his ass and WORK on this game again"

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »

Yes and no. I supported this a while ago, and I admit, I wish I could give them more money, the game is great and I love the mechanics (I just wish there were more ships to play with, and that some of the ships already in the game could be implemented). However, I also know that no updates for months (and months...and months... and months) forces the gameplay to become stale, and every possible update has to somehow wow the player again.

I am a skeptic for any game that I support. I don't trust the developer until a product has been delivered (watching both indy devs and AAA devs deliver half finished garbage over the last four years has destroyed any hope of trust).  From there, you'll also see Alex post that he very much anticipates a release of the patch before the end of the year (taking into consideration the amount of giddiness he had with that tweet, I anticipate it coming out much sooner than December - early to mid October is my educated prediction).

Well, every man to his own I guess.  You can always check out Alex's twitter for some nifty little GIFs of the current patch if you want something more tangible.  The new sensor system is showcased in a rather funny way, the coronal and aurora effects are seen, and other interesting tidbits.  Also, on his twitter you'll find someone asking if a patch will be released before the end of the year - Alex responded with a tweet saying that he very much anticipates one before the year is over.  Taking into consideration the amount of glee he had in that tweet, I suspect it'll be much sooner, possibly in early or mid October.

https://twitter.com/amosolov

By the way, this isn't some Kickstarter or fundraiser crap that came from a guy wanted to make a quick buck, so have more hope in it than those. :P The game started development 5 years ago and hasn't stopped since.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:33:35 AM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2015, 11:08:55 PM »

thanks, I will observe the twitter feed.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2015, 05:28:01 AM »

Dude, if he were untrustworthy, you'd see him on Steam, on Kickstarter and similar projects that are all notorious for raking in the dough and then falling short on delivery. Starsector's model is fairly straightforward. You pay for the game as-is, future updates are expected but remain a bonus (!). You're also looking at a tiny team here. Under these circumstances I think the game is doing fine.

SteelSoldier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2015, 07:05:38 AM »

Honestly I would love extra ships, more variety is always good.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]