Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Update on the Update  (Read 39226 times)

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
Re: Update on the Update
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2015, 09:29:21 PM »

0.7 has been in development for quite some time. While this is fine, the lack of updates on the patch notes thread is quite worrying. The last update on the main thread was on the 23rd of July and as of today (August 19th), approximately two months have passed without any updates on the development of  0.7 . Can we please get an update on this update?

i got tired of going to my favorites to browse to the updates forum page..  i made it a home screen tab...   every day i wake up thinking its my first x-mas..  every day disappointment.. alex is the father i never had because like my real dad he was never there when i needed him.
LOL
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2015, 03:43:02 AM »

You know the blog has an RSS feed, right? You can subscribe to that. And you can get email notifications of new topics in Announcements.

Relax. Nobody gets this far into a labor of love and tanks the thing without warning.

*Cough* Limit Theory *Cough*
*Cough* Starforge *Cough*

But yeah, Alex isn't one of those devs. Much love for Alex! :D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2015, 05:09:11 AM »

I am uncertain whether that guy behind the Limit Theory is a human being ;D  All that work alone, and even with daily/weekly feedback and monthly video O_o He even is messing around with PROCEDURALLY GENERATED stuff which as far as I know is the one hard thing to make it right.

But yeah, everyone has a style.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:12:03 AM by Aron0621 »

Xeroshiva1029

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2015, 06:31:16 AM »

Relax. Nobody gets this far into a labor of love and tanks the thing without warning.

i cant even begin to count how many indy games on steam literally never made it to a version 1.0

money grabbing devs. i dont think thats the case here but it is a thing.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »

I always feel bad asking about the ETA for an update. It's a very two sided situation. On one side, you're thinking "Ugh this development is taking forever, I just want to play the game or at least have an idea of what is even GOING ON in development," but then you stop and think about Alex, maybe reading these topics like "Oh come on, guys, I'm doing the best I can!"

So yes, I really REALLY would love if the update came out soon(tm)er than later, but at the same time, I'm sure Alex would love it even more than us. So you keep doing you, Alex. Long as whatever you put out is within this lifetime, I'm sure it will be a blast to play

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2015, 08:45:49 AM »

Appreciate the support here, thank you all! It really means a lot, and I'm not just saying that.

This part really jumped out:
I always feel bad asking about the ETA for an update. It's a very two sided situation. On one side, you're thinking "Ugh this development is taking forever, I just want to play the game or at least have an idea of what is even GOING ON in development," but then you stop and think about Alex, maybe reading these topics like "Oh come on, guys, I'm doing the best I can!"

So yes, I really REALLY would love if the update came out soon(tm)er than later, but at the same time, I'm sure Alex would love it even more than us. So you keep doing you, Alex. Long as whatever you put out is within this lifetime, I'm sure it will be a blast to play

It's just so true. I can't *wait* to get this release out (and, in general, for 1.0 and beyond). Totally understand why someone might get a bit impatient, though - but if it means they care about the game, I'll take it :)

Xeroshiva1029

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

We just gotta kill more pirates.. thats what alex wants.. he wants us to sacrifice 10000000000000000000 pirate corpses to the digital world gods so that the update is appeased and then we can play with it.

yes..

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/988689/somebody-fire-o.gif

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2015, 05:13:38 PM »

In 60sec that movie had a better space battle than the entire Star Wars movie franchise combined (not including the comics and games though, those were/are awesome)

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »

In 60sec that movie had a better space battle than the entire Star Wars movie franchise combined (not including the comics and games though, those were/are awesome)

Not going off topic (but totally am) or anything, but you're insane XD

But to clarify, Firefly/Serenity is my favorite Sci Fi saga of all time

Also... so that's what our problem was? We weren't killing enough pirates? *Pops Starsector back in*

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2015, 07:39:23 AM »

Pirates are just not pirate-y enough. If I am stuck in an inferior D-enforcer, I think conventional tactics are not going to work.

Almost a suggestion but...

instead of D alternate ships. Maybe there should be P alternate ships. Ones that are cheap and handicapped like D, but modified in certain ways to overcome their down sides.

Some stuff like... less crew/ or less logistic cost to deploy and thus AI deploys them in larger numbers? (maybe pirate officers will do that automatically?!?!)

maybe pirates variants will have more weapon mounts? so instead of getting pristine perfect armor plates they add in more weapon slots?

Pirates are more like the sheep, and patrols are like wolves. Trade fleets are the cows. Maybe it should be opposite??  :P

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »

sacrifice 10000000000000000000 pirate corpses to the digital world gods

Alright... how many does that translate into per-person in this forum? *Turns Starsector on*

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2015, 02:55:29 AM »

Lets see thats 10 quintillion pirates... Thats going to take a long time, even if we ALL started killing pirates right now, 24/7. With 4,197  members total ( this is all time so even our banned members)

we have to EACH of us kill 239,291,696,578.1287 pirates. Keep in mind this includes Alex and David so we're going to have to pick up their slack.

For those of you who don't like reading large numbers that is 239 billion, 291 million, 696 thousand 578 point 1287  pirates

I don't think this is physically possible. Unless we somehow destroy the pirate stations which are manned by infinite pirates. But since that isn't possible. well....

Oh and i know for a fact we've had several bots sign up on these forums, unless they were completely stricken from the record the number is actually higher for all of us real people, Factor in the number of dummy accounts, people who have left, been banned, and otherwise don't count toward the total? i'd imagine the number we each have to kill is somewhere around 500 billion.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:10:37 AM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Taizo Puckett

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »

We definitely need a mod for this epic mission.

First, the mod should introduce anti-pirate super-weapon: mega bomb which can instantly kill ALL pirates in the system. As a bonus, it could be a smart bomb and not kill everyone else. But not necessary.

Second, the mod should mangle with fleet spawning in order to breed pirates in Sector in large numbers before the Big Pirate Apocalypse. Unfortunately, we can't easily spawn even 1 million pirates at once (wild guess), because the game will either crash with out of memory or become so slow that you can't kill them. So the limit have to be determined empirically through testing.

Third, we'll need a ship to deliver and detonate the Bomb. A new, shiny, fearless and awesome ship. Oh, and a very tough ship to survive the explosion for the next Apocalypse.

With such mod, we can reach target body count much faster. Probably within our life-span.

Modders of the SS community, do you accept the challenge?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:29:02 PM by Taizo Puckett »

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »

...Or we need more people playing it.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »

Does anyone have any older versions of starsector? the buffalo pinatas may be of use here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7