Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Update on the Update  (Read 39218 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Update on the Update
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 08:55:54 AM »

Nah, lets be blunt and honest.

Going well over half a year, sometimes even closer to a full year, is not "the norm" (lol, Dwarf Fortress) for a vast majority of indie devs. It is a very long time to wait for just an update to one part of the game. I'll absolutely come out and say that Starsector is being developed at the speed of a half-dead finless whale - which is to say, extremely slowly. I bought into the game years ago and we've still probably only seen roughly half of the campaign completed (probably less to be honest).

I'm not going to make any more threads about it though, I got that out of my system quite some time ago as well. But, at this rate we won't be playing Starsector 1.0 until 2017! Can you imagine if this game was put out on Steam Early Access when the initial campaign went out, the amount of crying and moaning on the Steam forum? <cringe>

Taizo Puckett

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »

You know what the biggest problem is?
Too much passion, no outlet. (for the followers)
Thats why I said before if it was possible to setup a easy way and a platform for players to create multiple linked missions, or maps etc. Not asking for a mission editor or something, but just a different outlet for community content.
otherwise, yall just need to chill.

THIS is the point the devs should heed IMHO. And ignore the rest of this thread

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »

I'm not going to make any more threads about it though, I got that out of my system quite some time ago as well. But, at this rate we won't be playing Starsector 1.0 until 2017! Can you imagine if this game was put out on Steam Early Access when the initial campaign went out, the amount of crying and moaning on the Steam forum? <cringe>
Notably why Alex has consistently shot down the idea of going on Steam!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »

Well, if Alex stick to his road-map (and there isn't any sign he won't) the next update (industry) will follow the same pattern of big update in autumn followed by a patch around the new year. The one after (player faction, exploration and all the content stuff) will probably do so too. After that the game should reach beta and the updates will probably be more frequent.

Of course I'm just a modder that read a lot the forum but don't have any insider knowledge. Still, I'd be surprise if it turn out differently.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »

Sure, the game will probably take several more years to reach a finished state, but why is that a problem? There are a lot of other things to do and other games to play in the meantime. Years is a perfectly reasonable amount of time to take to make an extremely complex open-world game when it's being worked on mostly by a single person.

If I don't get to play Starsector 1.0 until 2017 or 2018, so be it. It's not like I'm paying a monthly fee to support the development. The money I paid for the game was paid for it its then current state and it was a fair price, I'm not entitled to updates, much less prompt updates.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »

Oh, I'm not really all that bent out of shape over it. I realize Alex will develop Starsector as he pleases so any argument over this subject is rather pointless. Still, we did spend money - expecting a completed product in a reasonable length of time is a valid concern.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »

I'm enjoying the periodic, flavorful, and highly entertaining blog posts. It's like a good Sunday roast: if you ate that way all the time, it wouldn't be special.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »

Oh, I'm not really all that bent out of shape over it. I realize Alex will develop Starsector as he pleases so any argument over this subject is rather pointless. Still, we did spend money - expecting a completed product in a reasonable length of time is a valid concern.

Well, we spent money on an alpha development game by an indie team consisting primarily of 1 person. Considering how very, very many games that match that description are either complete crap, never finish, or release terrible buggy products, I'm extremely happy with the money I've spent! I've gotten more hours of entertainment out of my 10 bucks here than from pretty much anything else I've spent that much on, and I think a large part of that is how polished each release is.

But yeah, just don't burn yourself out Alex. This is a community of friends, not just gamers. If the pressure is too much just let us know :)

+10

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »

I almost like the long period between updates, i can recover from playing far to much starsector when a new update comes out  ;) And for the particularly long times i just allow myself to relearn the game entirely, as when the campaign was updated with the economy.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »

Quality takes time. Right now update is not finished so demanding projections then it is done is not helping anyone. These topics just create unneeded doom and gloom over already known thing - long period between updates. Any doubts about starsector development is unfounded and impolite so stop it please.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 07:17:30 AM »

Quality takes time. Right now update is not finished so demanding projections then it is done is not helping anyone. These topics just create unneeded doom and gloom over already known thing - long period between updates. Any doubts about starsector development is unfounded and impolite so stop it please.

Agreed.

frogbones

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 07:36:58 AM »

With posts like this I completely understand why this hasn't been put to steam yet. I've been following and playing this game since it's pretty much first release. The updates have been at a steady pace since then. Gives me time to play it out, get bored (boredom is a choice by the way), load a mod play it out, put the game down for a while, come back play it again. Usually by then a release is out. Play the game enjoy new content and repeat. There is  no other game like this out. Simple top down, tactical, intense yet chill, and really FUN. I'm excited, and chomping at the bit for the next release. I get all gitty when reading the blog post about the upcoming goodies! I do at times get a tiny bit frustrated at the distance between releases, but I know it will be stable and totally playable.

I know Alex, and his team through this game and how it plays, integrity. I won't question lengthy releases, or spook others into thinking this game is "dieing", history dictates other wise.

I don't like posts like this, and I seem to see more of it now the game is getting more attention. So please don't bring the baggage of being burned by other games here.

We might own the game, but we don't own Alex and his time nor does he really owe us anything. We slapped $ down to play the game how it is now, done deal. I paid $ for the game when it was barely one system, two stations, and very little content....heck fuel had absolutely no purpose. But how solid it played spoke mountains and I knew I invested into something great.

Thanks for playing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:45:39 AM by frogbones »

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »

Bought the game shortly before the campaign flesh-up update. So this is my first 'a-year-of-wating'. Admittedly I'm losing patience slowly, but I have a lot of it. And things do look promising. Also considering a healthy(stable binch of new featres and no gamebreaking bugs) update requires some month for a team of few, I guess a year for one person is not that unreasonable(still it depends on what basis you judge on, yes. This is not an absolute statement)

I agree with Dri on that we would fare better with some reading materials, tho.

Xeroshiva1029

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 04:58:49 AM »

0.7 has been in development for quite some time. While this is fine, the lack of updates on the patch notes thread is quite worrying. The last update on the main thread was on the 23rd of July and as of today (August 19th), approximately two months have passed without any updates on the development of  0.7 . Can we please get an update on this update?

i got tired of going to my favorites to browse to the updates forum page..  i made it a home screen tab...   every day i wake up thinking its my first x-mas..  every day disappointment.. alex is the father i never had because like my real dad he was never there when i needed him.

(someone has some daddy issues hehe)

but seriously.. its hard to sell this game to my eve friends when i cant answer the question "does the game still get dev support or are we buying into a dead game" i hope it goes STEAM soon because the game has potential

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2015, 03:13:44 PM »

You know the blog has an RSS feed, right? You can subscribe to that. And you can get email notifications of new topics in Announcements.

Relax. Nobody gets this far into a labor of love and tanks the thing without warning.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7