Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there any sort of trigger that tells the AI when to inspect your fleet?  (Read 2822 times)

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile

... And if so, can we add a condition that inspections won't occur within X amount of time of each other?

I got pinged by a Hegemony security fleet (the same one, yes, not two separate ones) twice in about 10 seconds, without having stopped at their station or anything. Now, granted, there's a lore-friendly explanation in-game ("blah blah blah '...feels like a legalized shakedown...', etc."), but all the same it's kind of ridiculous sometimes.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

Yes and yes.  Take a look at the code dealing with that, after setting up an IDE; essentially, all of that is moddable, just not trivial.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile

Yes and yes.  Take a look at the code dealing with that, after setting up an IDE; essentially, all of that is moddable, just not trivial.

Whooops, just looked at my OP again, didn't realize that it read like a modding proposal. What I was getting at was... vanilla should be written so that we don't have 20 inspections/minute. I know a lot of newcomers to the series find themselves getting taken for all they're worth in the early-game because of it, sometimes.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

Well, that's a Suggestion... and yes, this is an area that's already been discussed a bit, and Alex is making it considerably less annoying in the next release :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Even in the initial implementation, there's supposed to be some rate limit to it - I don't remember off the top of my head, but something like once every two days. It does help a lot if they like you, btw - or at least don't dislike you - the odds of an inspection go down quite a bit.

Looking at the code, if it ends peacefully (i.e. you pay) there should be a 2-week timeframe where you won't get pinged again by the same faction in that system. Fairly sure that's been there since the start; how did the first inspection you ran into end?

zenstrata

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yes and yes.  Take a look at the code dealing with that, after setting up an IDE; essentially, all of that is moddable, just not trivial.

I always figured it was proximity based.  I only allow them to successfully scan me when I want them to, as my own fleet is pretty much always faster than the ships trying to scan me.  When I see the ping, if I don't want to be scanned, I just fly in the other direction till they leave me alone.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

For tolls, I let them catch me, start a scan, then fly away and eat the small reputation penalty.  By the time I get tolled again, I have gained that reputation back and maybe more from bounty hunting.