Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EVERSPACE Kickstarter  (Read 3299 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
EVERSPACE Kickstarter
« on: August 06, 2015, 09:56:54 PM »

I am rather bleh on Kickstarters but this game seems like it could finally be the successor to Freelancer and the previous two games made by these folks are well regarded... So hmmm.

^ Click Me ^

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:01:57 PM by MesoTroniK »

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: EVERSPACE Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 03:46:23 AM »

From the creators of Galaxy On Fire.

That is my favorite iOS game, and i see a some similarities in the combat system that are present in GOF 2.
I would kickstart it, if my pc can even run it :(
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 04:45:45 AM »

Not convinced.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:26:39 PM »

It doesn't feel much like Freelancer, except superficially. 

The Roguelike idea behind the game design, in particular, rather than the distinct Places of that title, made a big difference; whatever story they hang on this has to hang within a semi-random palette that may or may not end up feeling very dull and similar after a while.

It's very pretty, though, and frankly, I think that I sense real enthusiasm from the team about this one; they clearly played Freelancer at some point (the UI is full of nods to its design) and that is the one game that many have talked about making a proper sequel to, but it never happens.

The only really serious problem I see with the proposal is that it's essentially not possible to even mod it, starting from that premise, and arrive at anything like FL. 

Being a Roguelike, designed around a single ship that you just tack Opti-Max Stuff® to... it's just not really equivalent, and frankly, if weapon balance or the difficulty ramp isn't darn-near perfect, it'll suck, because so many runs will end due to RNG.  I'm not sure a game built around the premise of, "if you don't have <this gun>, you die" is a winner.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Requal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »

Meh...
I think I'll pass on this and rather go for the real freelancer sequal made by the same producer... Star Citizen