Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Major Build Release  (Read 11544 times)

selkathguy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Major Build Release
« on: August 05, 2015, 09:19:27 AM »

I am going to ask the bannable question: Do we have an ETA for .7 or any major build?  I am not looking for a specific date and time.  I am looking for an estimated release time window.  Something more specific than say 2015Q3 but not necessarily a day.  Thanks

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Major Build Release
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »

When it's good and ready. SoonTM

Personally, I don't want any rushed features, or any half-assed gimmicks just because people WANT an update sooner.  This is a game-changing update, and for anything to not be working right could potentially be game-breaking.

selkathguy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:26:37 AM »

When it's good and ready. SoonTM
You misunderstand me.  I'm not rushing anything.  I'm simply asking so that I know when to expect it.  So that I'm not checking the Starsector page twice a day every day for a release that wont happen for another 10 months.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »

by the end of this month for sure. Guess*

Movementcat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:49:21 AM »

Yea im a little concerned too, Alex was normally every Day here. Now he had 2 brakes over 7 Day's where he did not Post anything.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »

We were all thinking and wondering, you just had the guts to ask, bravo!
But yeah it would be nice to have a bit more of an idea than "sometime this (or next for all we know) year." We don't mind if the deadline isn't necessarily reached (well I wouldn't at least). If there was a "I'm hoping within X months, give or take a month or so, at least we wouldn't need to check every day having our hopes up and then dashed. Anyone catch my drift? No? Okay *hides in corner*

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:31 AM »

It's the summer. He may well be taking time off.

In any case I'm sure he's hard at work and this is just one of the regular lulls in the forum. Sometimes there's just not much activity from him or anyone else.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »

Yeah, forum's just been fairly dead lately. If you check Alex's profile I guaruntee he's been on either today or yesterday. I often see him listed as online down at the bottom of the main index.

I usually check in several times a day, myself. This is a nice forum and there's often something new to read.

In regards to the next release, I figure it will come out before the end of the year, barring another major feature announcement.

selkathguy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »

I know Alex has another job/real life things, but we are fast approaching a year since the last release (which is very unhealthy for an alpha) and I just want to be sure the project isn't dying.  This is one of my favorite games with the greatest potential.

When it's good and ready.
From personal experience, that is how projects die.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:11:38 AM by selkathguy »

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »

We are fast approaching a year since the last release (which is very unhealthy for an alpha)

At this rate, it's entirely possible Starsector won't be released until 2018, assuming .8, .9, and 1.0 take the same amount of time. Starsector is a great game and all, but that is a VERY long time

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »

I know Alex has another job/real life things, but we are fast approaching a year since the last release (which is very unhealthy for an alpha) and I just want to be sure the project isn't dying.  This is one of my favorite games with the greatest potential.

Last Update for Major Release, 0.54.1a: January 04, 2013
^ 9 months V
Major Release, 0.6a: September 13, 2013
^ 4 months V
Last Update for Major Release (Plus more content), 0.6.2a: January 17, 2014
^ 10 months V
Major Release, 0.65a: October 20, 2014
^ 5 months V
Latest Update for Major Release, 0.65.2a: February 10, 2015
^ 7 months V
Present: August 5, 2015

I'm pretty sure 7 months is still a fair way off from a full year.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:33:52 AM by Nanao-kun »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »

Definitely around and all that, working on the 0.7a release. Did take a week off and went on vacation a little while back!

I'm simply asking so that I know when to expect it.  So that I'm not checking the Starsector page twice a day every day for a release that wont happen for another 10 months.

Well, it's definitely not going to take another 10 months :) But beyond that... I get what you're asking, right. But if I gave you an answer, say, to within a month or so, there's very good chance it'd be wrong. Probably a higher chance for it to be wrong than right, actually. I don't really want to be in that position, where I feel like, "oh, I've got to make the release sooner than it's ready because I said I would". Basically, any answer is 1) likely to be wrong and 2) added pressure I'd just as soon do without. (The alternative is to not make the answer be wrong by hitting the approximate date, but then quality suffers.)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »

Definitely around and all that, working on the 0.7a release. Did take a week off and went on vacation a little while back!

I'm simply asking so that I know when to expect it.  So that I'm not checking the Starsector page twice a day every day for a release that wont happen for another 10 months.

Well, it's definitely not going to take another 10 months :) But beyond that... I get what you're asking, right. But if I gave you an answer, say, to within a month or so, there's very good chance it'd be wrong. Probably a higher chance for it to be wrong than right, actually. I don't really want to be in that position, where I feel like, "oh, I've got to make the release sooner than it's ready because I said I would". Basically, any answer is 1) likely to be wrong and 2) added pressure I'd just as soon do without. (The alternative is to not make the answer be wrong by hitting the approximate date, but then quality suffers.)

Let's just say Soon. And be comfortable in the knowledge that the release will be as polished and feature-full as every other release Alex has had :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

selkathguy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »

Major releases, not hotfixes.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »

I know Alex has another job/real life things, but we are fast approaching a year since the last release (which is very unhealthy for an alpha) and I just want to be sure the project isn't dying.  This is one of my favorite games with the greatest potential.

Last Update for Major Release, 0.54.1a: January 04, 2013
^ 9 months V
Major Release, 0.6a: September 13, 2013
^ 4 months V
Last Update for Major Release (Plus more content), 0.6.2a: January 17, 2014
^ 10 months V
Major Release, 0.65a: October 20, 2014
^ 5 months V
Latest Update for Major Release, 0.65.2a: February 10, 2015
^ 7 months V
Present: August 5, 2015

Holy crap i've been here for a long time.
Pages: [1] 2 3