Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.65.2a] Seeker (Dead. Click on the signature to get to the new Seeker mod)  (Read 123052 times)

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Seeker v0.1 - Prototype (06/06/2015)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 05:25:25 PM »

**Muffled screams**
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »

I'm a mediocre Java coder, but I haven't spent much time modding Starsector, so I probably won't have much use there. I'm pretty good at making sound effects, but not fantastic. If you're interested, I'd be willing to help, although my abilities are limited.

Eternity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 01:58:25 AM »

Hi Tartiflette,

Awesome works just for a prototype, lot of creative stuffs on background, vessels behaviors and effects, shape and style !!!

Keep up the good work ! we stay tuned ;-)

Et vive le reblochon, les lardons, les patates, les oignons et le ski ;-)

A+

Eternity
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:02:51 AM by Eternity »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 02:17:00 AM »

Thanks everyone!
To keep you posted about the future of this mod, I may have found a coder (just waiting for his reply). If all goes well, we might start some preparation work before 0.7 comes out, but the real thing won't be released before a while. I'm currently thinking about making a spoiler section where I would share some insight on the development for those interesting in following it. But since the mod is quest based that would ruin the whole thing for them! Just tell me what you think.

Eternity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 05:06:22 AM »

Quiet a good question !

Making teaser stuff like video, mission with severals prototype releases or making spoiler section... at the end both can be done in the same time with may be some incoming contents with the spoiler making of section...

Just finish to play bully mission, impressive fine tuning on the balanced power, rendering and weapons effects !!! with at the end the "split" effect that makes your mod so special ;-)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:08:49 AM by Eternity »

Shedovv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 12:47:38 PM »

Definitely a interesting Idea. Hopefully you will manage to fulfill it Tartiflette! Spoiler section would indeed be quite marvelous for everybody actually. Because if some won't read it now, they will do it later once they have gone through the stuff that is otherwise spoiled in that section.

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 05:06:57 AM »

Hello, Tartiflette.

First off, this is just plain awesome.

Second off... awesome.

Third off, the lore for your ships is fantastic. (The ships themselves are fantastic too.)

Fourth off, I'd like to help. While my Java coding skills are très très mal(That's "very very bad" in French... I think.), I think I am a fair writer and I would like to help with that aspect of Seeker.

If you would like for me to help out, just shoot me a PM.

-Luna
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 07:09:19 AM »

Short update. Work on Seeker is slowly starting, for now the team is composed of me, CrazyDave for the writing, dd_Dent and Wyvern for the coding. Debido is also giving a hand with one Anomaly he designed. No campaign stuff yet, but mostly bringing in the game what was already sprited, like the four civilian ships (Not much more to add on them than what has already been said in the OP):

Then there are two new ships with a bigger role. I decided to try and put them in spoilers for those of you that are too curious. I'll never show the Anomalies as they truly are the meat of the mod, but some Artifacts (that is the unique man-made ships central to a quest) may appear in "Major Spoilers"; and the rewards or other interesting elements not central to the stories will be in "Minor Spoilers".
If you want to comment, please use spoilers too where needed for those who don't want to know anything in advance!

Minor spoiler:
Spoiler
Added the Owl-class SpecOps cruiser. A fast modification of an Eagle-class hull, armed with four medium ballistic hard-points and five small energy turrets (all in hidden mounts). It also has a "Switch mode" ship-system that halve the top speed but deploy two drones armed with graviton beams and raise sharply it's maneuverability. This ship will be a reward for one of the quests.

[close]

MAJOR SPOILER:
Spoiler
And finally a new Artifact ship has been implemented:

DSS Wolverine, Guardian-class Dreadnought

While the Onslaught class battleships were designed to be the Fist of the Domain's might, the Guardian-class dreadnoughts were designed to be it's gate-keepers. Quite literally in fact since those gargantuan ships were only deployed to guard strategic hyperspace gates. With all their firepower concentrated in a small frontal cone, they were meant to cork any invasion attempt by raining shells on anything that emerged from the gates. And to avoid any interruption in their strike, they were equipped with an active flux dissipation system. By purging their cooling fluid, they could dramatically increase their dissipation rate for a short duration, reducing flux buildup. Unlike normal venting systems that can take a while at emptying the flux capacitors, that one had a fixed limited time. However any ship caught in the cloud of vapors would see it's own flux capacitors filled. Since the Guardians were supposed to hold their position alone, it wasn't considered an issue.

Unlike it's smaller cousin, the Guardian blueprints were never updated when shields and missiles became more common. At first because the technology couldn't allow a radius large enough, and then because the production of those colossus ceased due to the availability of better, cheaper designs. Since with an up-to-date load-out they were still able to fill their role, the few existing ones were maintained in active service for centuries.

When the gates shut, only one Guardian was present in Corvus. It wasn't even meant to: an engine failure during a transit left it stranded in the young sector, without a dry-dock large enough to fit in for repairs. It was waiting for the Domain to send special tugs for weeks when the Collapse occurred. Then the war broke out, and this huge unmovable slab of metal was abandoned, looted and forgotten.

And yes, triple Hellbores!

(for those of you curious, a Firecane is the hypothetical result of a lightning storm in a hurricane that is passing over an oil spill...)
[close]

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:11:55 AM by Tartiflette »

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 07:24:07 AM »

This... gives me feels. I mean, new big capital ships kind of feels. *Internally gasping in glee for more ships*

Squee, aside. I'm guessing the campaign will have to be implemented after 0.7a shows up?

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 07:45:49 AM »

super cool, i really looking forward to the next updates!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 06:46:46 AM »

Late monthly update, but I don't have much non-spoilery stuff to show for it:
Here's the ASSA Station that will act as the hub for the missions, and maybe some other fancy stuff to justify it's existence. I know it's flat, but it is for a reason so don't worry about that yet.

Beyond that all I can say is that the Diamond-back Anomaly and an Artifact have been implemented. Witch bring us to two and a half Anomalies done out of eight, and four on six Artifacts. But of course that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Minor Spoiler:
Spoiler
Now this one is more a tease than anything... I'll let you speculate on it's purpose and role in the mod  ::)

[close]

MAJOR SPOILER
Spoiler
And same for this new Artifact *Evil maniac laugh*... No seriously I can't reveal anything about it without ruining the mission completely.

But I suppose you don't need me to understand that this thing is dangerous.(click to enlarge)
[close]

That's all for this month, please use spoilers too if you want to comment on those new additions.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:52:09 PM by Tartiflette »

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 07:33:14 AM »

I'm very excited for this mod. I'm glad to see you're making progress. :)

Taizo Puckett

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 11:03:28 PM »

I've tried the missions out. Very good work, solid ship designs.
While the last two missions are more part of lore, I suppose, the DCS Lookout is really fun to play with.

Good luck with all your plans.

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »

The Artifact ship crashed my game when it was disabled.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »

Mmmmh okay, can I have a log? That would help me greatly to fing this bug. In your Starsector/starsector-core folder there should be a file named starsector.log, I only need a couple dozen of the last lines after the bug occured.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10