Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Full burn yolo shuttle  (Read 12654 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Full burn yolo shuttle
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:47:09 PM »

https://youtu.be/tmCQzxjms_Y

I cannot link to a specific time stamp with an imbedded video so skip to 12:30.

That is a 100% vanilla game, not like this old case (sorry I nuked the screenshot) where I was unable to determine if the fancy mod ship systems being deployed in that battle could have had some kind of effect.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8249.msg141254#msg141254
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:52:27 PM by MesoTroniK »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Full burn yolo shuttle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:22:38 PM »

Huh, alright. I still don't see how it could happen, unfortunately. The good thing is it doesn't look like asteroid collisions or other such were involved, it seems like it's just convinced that going towards the bottom border is the right thing to do. That narrows it down, but still *seems* impossible based on the code. Clearly isn't; I'll keep an eye out.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 09:29:30 PM »

It just must be incredibly rare. I have played this game a lot and only ever saw it personally once and it was in a battle saturated with physics based defenses and recall teleporters heh. I'll keep an eye out in case it ever happens again but that is not likely...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »

It just makes no sense! For the AI to even be able to activate travel drive near the top of the map, the retreat border *must* be the top border. It seems very clear-cut in the code. Obviously missing some odd case, though - if I find it I'll post what it was :)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:09:11 AM »

Why couldn't it have been an asteroid collision?

This was precisely the behaviour I observed (and reported) when a retreating ship clipped an asteroid as it engaged its retreat burn, causing it to spin around and burn south through the whole battlefield.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 02:57:18 AM »

This was precisely the behaviour I observed (and reported) when a retreating ship clipped an asteroid as it engaged its retreat burn, causing it to spin around and burn south through the whole battlefield.

Yes I saw that too, it went upwards and got blown up as it crashed later into a emy ship... Maybe it would have kept going forever upwards.... Tho it seems like it could turn a little bit...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »

Didn't see any damage on the front of the shuttle, either on the sprite or in the armor plates in the reticle. Could be that there wasn't enough damage, but I'd expect there to be, given that it was a high-speed collision and the shuttle's armor isn't exactly thick.

But, you know, this is still the only option that I can see being the case. IIRC I was thinking that this couldn't happen because the ship will always try to turn towards its preferred burn direction, but I'd forgotten that travel drive actually locks out the turn controls, so the fact that it tries to turn doesn't matter.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 06:21:54 AM »

okay, it happened again today, Its reproduced by :

1. Turn on maneuvering thrusters.

2. Turn downwards and press retreat while maneuvering thrusters are on.

3.  Keep turning somewhere else

4. Full burn activates after maneuvering thrusters effect end.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 04:21:54 PM »

Thanks - hmm, yeah, that would definitely explain it.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 05:25:35 AM »

I didn't see what caused it, but I just had 3 yolo burns in a single battle!
As all 3 ships were manoeuvring jet-capable, I suspect it's some unusual interaction involving this ship system.
Perhaps more likely to occur while being closely pursued by an enemy?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 08:26:38 AM »

Just so everyone knows, these YOLO burns tend to happen when a ship reaches the point where you "HIT ENTER TO RETREAT", they retreat, start burning out, and then hit something that deflects their course, like a friendly ship or asteroid.  The retreat burn never stops, so they just keep on YOLO burning to their oblivion.  Most often happens with frigates.

Nice rez by the way. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 08:57:28 AM »

Just so everyone knows, these YOLO burns tend to happen when a ship reaches the point where you "HIT ENTER TO RETREAT", they retreat, start burning out, and then hit something that deflects their course, like a friendly ship or asteroid.  The retreat burn never stops, so they just keep on YOLO burning to their oblivion.  Most often happens with frigates.

Asteroid/wreck impacts are indeed a verified cause.
However, the probability of 3 asteroid impacts all occurring in the same battle, at the same time, and deflecting all 3 ships in roughly the same direction? That seems vanishingly unlikely.

As manoeuvring thrusters seem to feature in a large proportion of the observed cases, it seems probable that there's another cause that's perhaps more likely than the asteroid collision theory.

Nice rez by the way. :)

Down scaled screenshots to save space :)

:edit:

By that, I mean the last post was in June of 2015.

Oh right, resurrection not resolution ;D
Seemed pertinent to reuse the old thread to keep all evidence in the same place.

There is I believe 1 other thread on this issue, from even earlier...but I'm unable to find it  :-\
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:18:51 AM by TJJ »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 09:13:58 AM »

Asteroid/wreck impacts are indeed a verified cause.
However, the probability of 3 asteroid impacts all occurring in the same battle, at the same time, and deflecting all 3 ships in roughly the same direction? That seems vanishingly unlikely.

As manoeuvring thrusters seem to feature in a large proportion of the observed cases, it seems probable that there's another cause that's perhaps more likely than the asteroid collision theory.
Fair enough I suppose.

Down scaled screenshots to save space :)
By that, I mean the last post was in June of 2015.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.