Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simpler Memory Utilization?  (Read 1566 times)

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
Simpler Memory Utilization?
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »

Hello:

Right now you have to increase the memory parameters within SS+ to get it functioning well, which I suppose is based on some limits within the vanilla. Would it be possible for the game and its mods to more intuitively use a computer's memory limits so I don't have to go digging into the files to increase? Or is that something that can't be done? It's just a small barrier to entry which seems strange given how modern the game is...

Ordanen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Simpler Memory Utilization?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:58:14 AM »

It's probably something Alex will tackle as vanilla gets more resource intensive, and optimization and whatnot is required. (don't quote me on anything)

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Simpler Memory Utilization?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »

I imagine with the 5 new star systems coming in the .7a update, the game will have an increased memory for all the new things it will have to calculate.

Otherwise the way i have been adding memory is just editing the starsector.bat file directly and opening with that. Its a bit weird, but i'm sure when the game is farther along in development it will be easier to do. At the moment it might not be a good use of time to put in something that allows you to change memory usage if the memory usage can change drastically through future updates.
 Looking at .7a again, the 5 new star systems almost double the current 6, and the persistent officers will probably add to it also. I couldn't imagine the game running too well without a little bit more memory, i have to at least double the memory SS uses with all of the SS+ mods i have :)