Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Epic Idea!! Battle Invasions!!  (Read 3133 times)

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Epic Idea!! Battle Invasions!!
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »

Okay so here's my thought process, we have all seen two massive fleets, one brown and one blue, about to collide and hauled ass over ASAP to see if we can tag the losing fleet before they run to possibly pick up some free credits and ships.
But, imagine if NPC battles lasted 5-10 seconds on the galaxy map depending on the size of the battle so we could fly in and introduce ourselves mid battle! Sure, we would be outgunned and without buoys to start but we would also have the element of surprise! Can't you just see two massive capital ships beating on each other and out of nowhere a third faction shows up on the side of the map with a strike team of 3-4 bomber wings decimating one, only to disappear into the fog of war? Or two fleets hammering on each other only to realize both sides have just lost contact with their carriers who seem to have been obliterated by some unseen force?
It would pose a very interesting risk/reward system because we could fly in at the right time to a messy battle and clean out both fleets or fly in too early and get destroyed by two sides that have yet to collide.
The obvious criticism is that this would SUCK if the player was shooting it out with some crappy pirates and a massive fleet warps in to instakill both sides, so perhaps when the player is in a battle the world map freezes like it works now, so nobody can drop in uninvited.
And the other obvious problem is that 3 faction battles would probably be hell to code for the AI, but what do I know :P

TL:DR ( 3 factions fighting at once, read for more info)
All thoughts, comments, criticisms, and critiques are welcome!

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Idea!! Battle Invasions!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »

YES! I have always wanted to run some ragtag group that hops in on equally-matched battles, and scoops up the spoils of war! This led me to think of another mechanic, such that you could stay near ships to collect loot from them. Obviously, if you had beaten the other team, you would automatically get the loot, just like as it is now, but you could also try to loot stuff in the middle of battle in other scenarios. If your intention was not to crush the other team (maybe because, y'know, you CAN'T), then you could pick off a ship, loot as much as you could, and run away fast!
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Vakuza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »

This would be awesome, but also annoying as hell when a 4 tier fleet appears behind you with 3 onslaughts. Unless they were neutral to you hehe...

But it would be really cool I would like to see this!

Spartan114

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »

I'd love to be kinda like the Serenity, and speed in with a unarmed frigate with craptonnes of cargo space, and just steal all the loot right under the noses of two giant fleets.

This is a great idea.

Beagle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »

I like it a lot. This would work very well in conjunction with this suggestion about working in other people's fleets as well.

I would be suprised if this isn't already planned, actually, I'm sure it will find its way in somehow as the game is developed.

As for cargo looting, it'd be neat and provide a lot of depth to piracy. If you shot up a freighter's cargo hold(s) random cargo could be released into space for pickup.

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »

YES! I have always wanted to run some ragtag group that hops in on equally-matched battles, and scoops up the spoils of war! This led me to think of another mechanic, such that you could stay near ships to collect loot from them. Obviously, if you had beaten the other team, you would automatically get the loot, just like as it is now, but you could also try to loot stuff in the middle of battle in other scenarios. If your intention was not to crush the other team (maybe because, y'know, you CAN'T), then you could pick off a ship, loot as much as you could, and run away fast!

I love your idea to add a mid battle looting system, this would further increase the skill and risk/reward cause we'd have to dive through a fleet, steal cargo, then run away before getting blown to bits! I was all exited to be at the head of a massive fleet or the boss of a massive trade organization but pirating would be SO fun! :D

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »

Excellent!  Probably the best idea I've heard of thus far.  Makes raiding independent traders profitable other than just making the mercenaries want to kill you.  If I could vote this thread up, I would. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

folder

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »

i like it but i dont know if 5-10 seconds is really enough i think it should be more like 5-60 secs depending on the size of the battle and let you see som vague intel on how the battle is going when you mouse over it the info you get can even be determined by your skills :D

Subject901

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »

you could sorta do that in mount and blade
one problem is (as far as i know) battles are in real time and the map is faster
other than that i would love it
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:04:51 AM by Subject901 »