Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: WTF STEAM  (Read 18372 times)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
WTF STEAM
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:10:52 PM »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: WTF STEAM
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:34:21 PM »

I don't mind mod authors putting a little "donation" button, so my only gripe with that is that it's all or nothing. Also, does Valve take a 30% share on mods like on the games? With taxes that can amount to a lot. And from a FAQ reading it's quite the pain to setup if you aren't a US citizen.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:47:29 PM »

Actually, the word on the street is that Valve is taking 75%.

So both modders and players are getting completely ripped off.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »

Just read that!  :o Valve's getting greedy, they may break their reputation on this, now that modding is the main recognized advantage of PCs over consoles.
The FAQ states that your taxes can amount up to 30%, and Valve share is usually 30%. If there is some last bit getting sucked somewhere for any reason it does leave only 25% to the mod author.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »

Just read that!  :o Valve's getting greedy, they may break their reputation on this, now that modding is the main recognized advantage of PCs over consoles.
The FAQ states that your taxes can amount up to 30%, and Valve share is usually 30%. If there is some last bit getting sucked somewhere for any reason it does leave only 25% to the mod author.

You don't pay taxes on Valve's share, because they pay taxes on it.  Also, the tax rate depends on many things.

For example, I am employed full time, single, own no property, have no dependents, and am in a fairly high tax bracket.  If I sold a mod on steam for 99 cents, I would have a grand total of 13 cents left over.  For a mod I would consider worth selling for 99 cents, I would probably invest a thousand dollars into it out of pocket, so I would need around 7700 sales to break even.  I walk home with a net $0, and Valve walks home with ~$3,850 at that point, minus some negligible administrative/bandwidth/hosting costs.

I think I'll pass.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:19:40 AM »

Of course you don't pay taxes on Valve's share, but you can have 30% on your share removed, so something like 30% to Valve, 30% to the game creator, leaves you with 40% share, minus 30% taxes you are indeed left with 25-something percent of the initial value announced.
What's worse? If you aren't US citizen and have to cope with multiple tax system and currency conversions, you may very well end up with almost nothing while being in a low tax bracket.

I'll pass too, I never went into modding for the money anyway.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 12:22:10 AM »

Of course you don't pay taxes on Valve's share, but you can have 30% on your share removed, so something like 30% to Valve, 30% to the game creator, leaves you with 40% share, minus 30% taxes you are indeed left with 25-something percent of the initial value announced.
What's worse? If you aren't US citizen and have to cope with multiple tax system and currency conversions, you may very well end up with almost nothing while being in a low tax bracket.

I'll pass too, I never went into modding for the money anyway.

Nah, from what I hear 25% is the final payout.  Taxes are a personal thing applied afterward.  Your tax rate is applied to the <sum of what Valve periodically sends you>, which is, in turn, 25% of gross.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 12:28:30 AM »

Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 12:40:24 AM »

Wow, just went to see the reactions on the steam workshop and I don't know what is worse. Even modders that taking positions against paid mods are getting mostly this:

"I'll never pay a single buck for a mod even if there is a donation button"

"Mod author are so self important that they live under the delusion that they should be getting free money for using tools and resources not developed by themselves"

"You think people will support mods now that they have to pay for thats called dlc not mods."

"Mod should be free, they aren't developers why should I pay for it?"

and sometimes there are some:

"Did is seems fair to you that modders get only 25%?"

Now I'm afraid to go see paid mods comments. Please Alex, if you have someday to put Starsector on steam, do not allow steam workshop!!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:49:40 AM by Tartiflette »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 12:43:28 AM »

Please Alex, if you have someday to put Starsector on steam, do not allow steam workshop!!!

That, please just leave it out entirely and the entire community would be better for it :)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:29:55 AM »

Honestly, if you want to get paid for making content, just make your own videogame.  ;)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 01:35:46 AM »

Can be impossible for the non-coder modders like a lot of Skyrim are. Those that makes texture pack, new weapons or armors....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:22:51 AM by Tartiflette »

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 02:12:12 AM »

For an in depth analysis check cinical brits vid about the topic. Apparently people are already taking mods from nexus and putting a price tag on them as their own.

Also theres the uncertain issue of mods and copyright issues with 3rd parties, the mandatory Startrek Mod for every space game that allows it may bug the people who actually own Startrek if it starts to be monetized.

And last theres the issue of compilations. And crappy sword and armor mods that most often than not dont even look good and/or lore friendly let alone are worth paying for.

My hunch is that a *** storm is brewing and things will get ugly before they get pretty.

Also all those negative comments that tartiflette quoted are made on the basis of players being cheapskates and failing to realize that there ARE mods out there that are so good and game changing that they deserve to be paid for.
But I digress, Im sure in their little minds they think they deserve the best for free for...reasons.

It is biased based reactions like these that annoy me to no end.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:23:55 AM by Sabaton »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 03:57:20 AM »

The plot thicken:

No more donation links allowed: you either give Steam 75% or go bust.

Also troll mods are on the rise:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430945230&searchtext=

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 04:21:03 AM »

I can't imagine Valve trying to push this through. The bad PR they would get from it is probably simply too costly for them versus the amount of money they make. From what I've seen, no one has been in favor of this implementation. Plenty of scams/stealing content. The modding community hates it, and the consumer base hates it. This seems like a massive mistake.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4