Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Heavy Missile Mount  (Read 15474 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Missile Mount
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »

How about a bomb-pumped laser missile of some kind? Would be interesting, at least.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 06:00:11 PM »

Perhaps a proximity detonated missile would be good. Fits the role of anti-fighter/anti-frigate. Has a moderate splash (nothing so huge that the AI can't handle, but enough to hit multiple fighters in a wing).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 07:12:46 PM »

The game has a proximity bomb launcher (for medium mounts), but it underperforms, sadly.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 10:20:39 PM »

The proximity charge is my goto weapon for making the Venture more snipish. It's good enough that the pair of them will demolish the armor on incoming fighter wings, splat whole vollies of bombs, and it does a passable job at breaking ship armor. I just wish the proximity range was smaller for larger and larger hulls. That way they'd smack into the hulls of enemy cruisers and actually do the 500 explosive damage listed. It also has lots of ammo so it'll last though most even fleet fights.

They're also being potentially buffed soon with the PD tag
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 06:58:37 AM »

I tried proxy bombs, but did not like them.  They are too slow, too hard to hit things, too easily defeated, and worst of all - cost more OP than more effective alternatives.  Proxy bombs have some ammo, but not enough to fire them like crazy.  I am skeptical that adding PD alone will be enough.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 07:22:40 AM »

Yeah now that ammo isn't an issue for ballistic mounts it's totally out shined by flak. It's a ppor weapon to give to NPC ships because they'll spam them. On the Venture (and Tartarus from SRA) it's a finesse weapon. They are used at the right moment for devastating effect. Not usually good for most ships either.

I'd like to have a large mount version with a higher refire rate. That's make Auroras Tartaruses and some builds of Conquests substantially better at dealing with fighter craft.

It's also be nice to have regening ammo on them.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »

I'd really like something like the Tornado AM Battery from the Mayorate mod. Failing that, a better Pilum-style LRM launcher would be decent. 6-8 at once with more ammo and maybe better tracking.

Solinarius

• Lieutenant
  • Wind. Fire. All that kind of thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »

I had this idea for the charges that I think would simultaneously make them better and more interesting. Wish I knew how to mod it in :P... a single mount could launch two charges at something like a 45° crossover angle and they could be given very lite tracking capability. This would give the charges the ability to bracket ships, making it more difficult for them to dodge. If the launcher were given more ammo, it could be a quite an effective fire support weapon.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »

I completely agree that the Large Missile Slot is the most underwhelming, under-utilized thing in the weapons (even worse than Large Energy, if barely).

I'd welcome any number of power-tools there.  A six-shot Pilum; a heavier version of the Annihilator; a Macross-style pod-launcher that was a one-shot area-denial device or death-blow weapon with a nice, slow initial launch and dozens of mini-missles.  A bigger Reaper that was one-shot but was basically a nuke with an AOE.  Basically, something big, dramatic and interesting; it's a missile slot that isn't common (heck, it's probably the rarest slot in the game, other than Universal) and it deserves some oomph.

A Sabot launcher that actually killed capship shields, even... oh wait, who am I kidding, lol.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 07:06:41 PM »

A Sabot launcher that actually killed capship shields, even... oh wait, who am I kidding, lol.

I'd actually like a Sabot launcher that fires six missiles with a half second delay. That would keep the enemy's shield down for a while and allow me to fire some high explosive damage weapons.

Shuka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 03:13:20 PM »

Its funny because mods have some pretty cool large missile mounts, like the trebuchet launcher which is probably hella OP.

What are the best missile ships? For example I really like having a Conquest capital ship around because it has 2 large missile and 2 medium missile mounts which amounts to a pleasing amount of missile spam. It seems any small ships with medium universal mounts I stick missiles in there and try to get some good missile spam going.

Really I just like having tons of missiles fly around while I pew pew in a sunder or karkino

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »

How about a bomb-pumped laser missile of some kind? Would be interesting, at least.

http://i.imgur.com/cGhZh.jpg

Well, it looks like David sketched some concept art for just such a thing a long time ago. Reference Gorgon and Hydra directed energy munitions.

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/nJ6Sk#15

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 01:50:18 AM »

We asked for years to be able to spawn beams like other weapons but Alex said "not going to happen!"
Too bad because apparently it was planned at some point but never finished/removed/too buggy.

DeltaV_11.2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 06:20:44 PM »

If you want, just make a weapon that spawns a high-speed and long bolt. It'll look kinda beam-ish.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 07:03:04 PM »

Except it does not actually act like a beam, especially how it interacts with scripted fun things that exist in some mods.

There is possible ways to cheat a proper beam look and function, but it would be stupidly complex and never truly work 100% right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3