Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Heavy Missile Mount  (Read 15520 times)

DeltaV_11.2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Heavy Missile Mount
« on: April 09, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »

I'd like to see some more options for the heavy missile mount. Right now all there is is Cyclone Reaper and Hurricane LRM. Both of these are good weapons, but them being the only weapons for the mount leaves it kinda underwhelming. I suppose I can stick a medium missile weapon in the mount, but that is kind of a weak option. Small and medium missile mounts give lots of options in terms of weapons and role, but large only has two roles, and they're both HE missiles that are only really useful against capitals.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Missile Mount
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 06:10:56 PM »

I agree we could use another Lg Missile that isn't just more of the same missile but in larger numbers like the reaper launcher is. The MIRV is... less than stellar.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 06:15:44 PM »

MIRVs are good now that they regenerate.  They are a true fire-and-forget weapon.

One large missile I want to see is a heavy Annihilator with either lots of rockets and/or regeneration.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 06:25:36 PM »

I want a large Annihilator too...

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 06:39:43 PM »

Mine Launcher!

Phase cloak + short range homing ability.

Restricted to a heavy mount, so they don't become a 'spam the entire map with them' type weapon.

No doubt there are such weapons in several mods as proof of concept.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »

You really do not want a large Annihilator weapon, the medium is broken enough. The concept of a large rocket launcher has merit of course but not by scaling up existing weapons, but something entirely new in my opinion.

Also no mines, the AI does not understand how to deal with a weapon like that and this was tried as mod content before.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »

To make a huge AOE warhead requires some scripted trickery so the AI can understand and defend against it, The Mayorate mod has such a weapon.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:01:04 PM »

I kinda want to see a big brother of the Eel. Just a reasonable HE missile. Or turn it into a general purpose energy/EMP damage missile.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »

A combo launcher that fires 2 (improved) sabots and 2 (less improved) harpoon... And 2 (not improved, these are already crazy) Salamanders for good measure! The perfect ship killer missile mount. 20 ammo of each. 10 seconds delay.
So OP  ;D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 06:15:23 AM »

You really do not want a large Annihilator weapon, the medium is broken enough. The concept of a large rocket launcher has merit of course but not by scaling up existing weapons, but something entirely new in my opinion.
Yes I do.  Medium Annihilator is not "broken".  I do not think it has enough ammo.  New is good, filling out missing stuff, assault weapon in this case, is good too.  All we have in large missiles is unguided nuke (Reaper) and guided nuke (MIRV).

By your logic, we should not have Cyclone Reaper.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »

Annihilators are one of the few non-regenerators that is effective at what it does, and it is not so overpowered that ships cannot defend against it.  Annihilators have low enough ammo that they will run out early in a long fight, although at least they are not empty after a few shots like Harpoons and Sabots.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »

Annihilators's biggest strength is being a spammable 400 dps gun at 0 flux with very good ammo capacity. Because of the number of missiles, it tends to overload PDs and block incoming projectiles. Like all missiles, they really become scary when you mount several of them.

As far as i know, only the Enforcer (to some degrees), Dominator and Onslaught can properly spam Annihilators. The AI is a bit underwhelming with those but mounted on a flagship, i'll always take Annihilators over any torpedoes.

As Megas said, they are not the best in long fights, especially if you are playing with a solo flagship. However they felt very strong if you had a whole fleet to back you up during the battle.

For a large Annihilator... To be honest i also wanted something like this at one moment. Annihilators are very strong in numbers but very few ships can actually boat them with a large missile mount on top of that. The Astral have two large missiles but it's the last ship you want to send brawling the enemy. The Conquest also have two but forward facing, by using those you'll lose quite a bit of your broadside firepower.

The only vanilla ship that could become really scary would be the Aurora, 1 large Annihilator + 4 small ones. With the two medium energy for shieldbreaking, the Aurora could become really mean.

But other than that, a large Annihilator doesn't feel that threatening, mostly because there's no ship that can get the most of it.

A large Swarmer however, now this could be fun.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »

I personally would love to put large Annihilators on the front of a Conquest. I'd fire, then engage my maneuvering jets and spin around releasing a hail of death at all my enemies. :)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 03:13:29 PM »

I prefer Annihilators over Reapers if I have OP to spare because the AI uses them effectively, either to kill enemies or screen itself from enemy fire.  AI is too conservative with Reapers.  The main reason I use Reapers over Annihilators, in small mounts, is OP cost.

DeltaV_11.2

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 05:50:07 PM »

Glad to see that other people think this is a good idea. :)

As for my thoughts on what would be good for the mount... One of the things I'd like to see in large missiles is some sort of anti-fighter PD measure. "Large mount swarmers," but I think that something other than just a vomit of swarmers would be appropriate. Something longer ranged, to provide area defense against fighter craft(currently nothing really does that). Other than that, there's the assault missile role. I've wanted many times to have an alternate to harpoon pods in a large missile mount. Either just more harpoons, or something that fufills a similar role- effective guided burst HE against most targets. A fire support weapon other than Hurricanes would be nice too, Hurricanes are great but tend to struggle to hit anything faster than a cruiser. Part of the attraction of missile mounts is supposed to be(IIRC) that they're very versatile, and both medium and small missile are. So seeing large missile get that breadth of options would be very pleasing.
Pages: [1] 2 3