Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574307 times)

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1320 on: November 29, 2015, 04:57:26 PM »

It's less that they have extreme flux stats, etc. and that they have an armor multiplier (depending on hull size) and extra OP. I currently have an Enforcer (XIV) as my flagship and it has 862 standard and 110 OP without any skills/hullmods. That lets you focus on those ships weaknesses, or other areas (they also look cool).

EDIT: Also the standard variants for those ships tend to be pretty bad.

The armor multiplier for XIV ships scales down aggressively with hull size, meaning the Enforcer gets a dramatically bigger boost than some of the other candidates.  It gets more raw armor than any other XIV ship than the Dominator, to say nothing of the proportional increase.  It also gets the proportionally greatest OP boost, which is a flat +10 for all the low tech ships regardless of size, +4 for the Eagle, and nothing for the Falcon.

Also the standard variants for many of those ships are quite good.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: November 29, 2015, 07:48:40 PM »

The "ridiculous amount of fighters in a fleet" thing is a bug; fixed for 0.7.1a.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 29, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »

Weird, i haven't come across fleets like that, at all.

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: November 29, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »

Is a Paragon in an 80,000 credit bounty a bug, cause all the other 80,000 credit bounties been easy.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 29, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »

Not a bug. There can be quite a lot of variance depending on which ships spawn. In particular, be careful with "deserter" bounties - they tend to be a lot tougher.

Edit: increased "deserter" bounty payout by 50%.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: November 29, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »

I've fought a lot more of these than what I'd consider sensible fleets lately.  The problem gets even worse thanks to fighter wings' ability to survive even if they're all destroyed if their carrier survives, so what this means in practice is that I fight a mixed fleet and wipe out all the cruisers and destroyers and half the frigates, but one carrier gets away so the 20 fighter wings with it also get away even though I destroyed them all.  Then instead of sensibly returning to their planet to lick their wounds they "Maintain Contact With Your Fleet" so a fleet of nothing but fighters joins the next regular fleet to fight me, then I mostly wipe them out but this time one carrier and 40 fighter wings get away.  Maybe the old "hangar space" mechanic needs to make a comeback?  Or maybe track the number of crew AI ships have aboard?  There's no way if I'm killing one crew each time I destroy a fighter they have enough expendable dudes to fight my fleet five times in a row.

Yes, I actually had a battle I had to keep pursuing 3/4 times I think it was.  I guess there must be some minimum force left over before the game will stop giving the pursuing option and concede that you won the battle.

The "ridiculous amount of fighters in a fleet" thing is a bug; fixed for 0.7.1a.

Ahh, so that might explain some of these recent battles i've had with nearly 40 ships (most of which were fighters). 

The fleet sizes for enemies; are they meant to be able to exceed your own fleets cap of 25 (even if they are not receiving nearby assistance)?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: November 29, 2015, 09:39:07 PM »

The fleet sizes for enemies; are they meant to be able to exceed your own fleets cap of 25 (even if they are not receiving nearby assistance)?

There's nothing preventing it, though they shouldn't exceed it by too much just based on how the fleets are generated. They *are* capped to 10 officers, however. So the extra ships are basically there for you to blow up :)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: November 29, 2015, 10:07:26 PM »

Cheers, thanks for clearing that up!  :)

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: November 30, 2015, 05:34:20 AM »

@Network Pesci : Quite the interesting approach for the Onslaught.
Rather than thought to be impossible, I just believe it doesn't really fit the ship so well. I prefer a shieldless tank than one who sacrifices a lot of OP and flux to be shielded.
While I do not use heavy armors (too costly and too slow) I use this build :

Spoiler
[close]

Instead of very high resilience each battle, this makes a fast, maneuverable and highly reusable when surrounded (like when blockading ports) while still near indestructible.
The only real threat would be the swarms of dagger wings mentioned a little while ago. And from what Alex recently said, those high wing count fleet would be fixed in later versions.

I agree that salvage rate is really good right now. Even a a full fleet deployment, if there were none or close to no damage, you tend to make up used supplies with the ones salvaged, and fuel salvage also makes being out of fuel rare.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:38:30 AM by Troll »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: November 30, 2015, 05:48:11 AM »

I use the same weapon configuration on Onslaught XIV as I use on standard Onslaught, that is three Mjolnirs, three dual flak, rest of the medium ballistics Heavy Maulers, and all smalls are Vulcans.  Missiles are either Annihilators if I have max Missile Specialization and need alpha strike capabilities, or Pilums otherwise (they make great deathballs, especially against flux-locked targets).

I used to use Storm Needler before the last major changes to Mjolnir and Storm Needler.  Now, Mjolnir does everything Storm Needler can do more efficiently (except anti-shield) and from greater range.  Mjolnir is like a ballistic's version of Heavy Blaster, only with much more range and efficiency.  If I wanted to use medium kinetics instead, I might use three Hellbore or HAGs instead of Mjolnir.  Mjolnirs and Heavy Maulers combine very well.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: November 30, 2015, 08:28:54 AM »

I noticed something strange:

After a combat, an Atlas was offered for boarding, and I boarded it.  I later decided to reload the game because losing so many marines for ship I did not need plus slowing my burn speed was not worth it.  I redid the combat and killed the Atlas again, but it was not available for boarding (I had less than 25 ships at the time), and all I got was salvage.

Perhaps save-scumming battles for a ship you want to board may still be possible, despite the contrary being posted otherwise?

Nimaniel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: November 30, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »

Perhaps save-scumming battles for a ship you want to board may still be possible, despite the contrary being posted otherwise?

I guess only Alex can answer this, but.. Normally save-scum 'resistance' comes from saving the seed value used by the random number generator, which means that reloading a game will load the game to the same state and with the same results on random events. Often this is easy to foil by altering the sequence of events after a reload, which will apply the RNG value that was previously used (in the abandoned game, before reloading) for determining the ship capture event on something else. This results in a new RNG value for the ship capture event.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: November 30, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »

There's a slight chance you might get a different roll, but most of the time it's not going to change unless you wait a while.

I guess only Alex can answer this, but.. Normally save-scum 'resistance' comes from saving the seed value used by the random number generator, which means that reloading a game will load the game to the same state and with the same results on random events. Often this is easy to foil by altering the sequence of events after a reload, which will apply the RNG value that was previously used (in the abandoned game, before reloading) for determining the ship capture event on something else. This results in a new RNG value for the ship capture event.

In this case, the seed/rng is generated per fleet member at the time of the check, so the RNG isn't used for anything else.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: November 30, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »

@ Lucian Greyhawk:

[twitches slightly]

Thanks for the stats guys, got a better idea of what these things can actually do now.

Mr. Sterling

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: November 30, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »

i have been a fan and playing this game for something like 4 years and cant wait to see the final result hoping that eventually can have more then 1 fleet of ships (as well as more then 25 in a fleet max) and own planets bases etc but on this current patch i just captured a wolf class ship that only had 8 crew and it cost me 33 marines and 51 supplies so about 35 to 40k spent to capture a 9k ship (3360 resale if repaired) think that is a lil too much there was a time you could make a living capping and selling ships but at the current setup you better off destroying every ship even capital ships. in the current game i'm talking about i decided to be a pirate i worked on my Tri-Tachyon rep hoping to get the 6 fighter bay carrier and got my rep up to 100 at same time worked to get my pirate rep to about +25 then next thing i knew was getting bombarded with investigations and lost all my rep with Tri-Tachyon to -50 the only faction that i was friendly with was the pirates and neutrals every 1 else was at rep -100 i can understand the rep but cant understand how doing 1 thing in a faction will effect every faction, black market trades should be untraceable yet still get into trouble doing them and delivering food (when there is a shortage) not only does it not  bring you a profit you may gain 2 rep for delivering the food but loose 5 rep for the trade doesn't seem to work out to me. i love the fact that i can have officers (10 max) but would like better control of thier skills some skills i would only want lvl 5 in like gunnery implants and helmenship etc as others want max lvl 10 like missels  etc.  im sure this isn't the location for bug discussions but as i dont do alot of forum reading or posting not sure where to report bugs so pleases bear with me there are times i save my game and exit (only play iron mode) and try loading a game and saved game has a bug cant load game and before u say mod i never play with mods
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:17:30 PM by Mr. Sterling »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90