Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 578799 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #990 on: November 21, 2015, 05:08:41 PM »

It is not only access to ships, but also weapons.  The better weapons either require welcoming relations or better (faction ties problem), killing faction ships (pirates do not use the best), or black market (risky).

Currently, I am over level 30, but I have yet to find a heavy blaster.  (I want two for the Medusa I bought from the Black Market.)

Re: Marines
I just boarded a Hermes with 1 crew.  I lost 5 marines.  (I probably need to get that Special Ops perk so I do not need a liner full of marines to capture bigger ships.)

The early game is harder because it is much easier to get ambushed by an overwhelming force.  If you are not practiced at pushing 4 (Emergency Burn), you will get caught, and you will probably die.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 21, 2015, 06:05:24 PM »

I'm level 16, and I've found a dozen or so Heavy Blasters.

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 21, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »

Well now that I've gotten through the beginning and had time to get more in depth with this version, here are my thoughs.
Also, the points which seem to have made my game somewhat easy to start.

• Uninstalled the game then reinstalled properly (always overwrote existing game up to now, figured doing a proper install would feel better
  • My friend chose for me my new start, Rich Smuggler on easy
  • And most importantly put back Barry White in the background, pretty sure it's 60% the reason I did so well :D

Basically upped my Hound with SO, did a few interceptions quite well, then luckily caught a pirate fleet remnant with 2 hounds and an Atlas. Back to base with a huge rewards in loot and bounty.
Bought an Enforcer on the Black market and here comes the fun.
I kitted it with a SO as well, Dual LMG on either side, a Thumper on the right and left and Assault Chaingun in the middle with only 2 Hammers to start with (nothing on the market yet).
The ship fared so well in 3/4 frig fights I ended up freeing some OP from vents to add a maneuvering thruster and add 2 newly acquired Hammer torp.
The most I did up to a few minutes ago has been a fight with 2 destroyers, 5 frigates, 2 fighter and 1 bomber wing. I say, this beauty maneuvers like an unmodded Hound (well, an overweight one I admit) and has spare flux to use the omnidirectional shield copiously.
With a bit more OP I just added Hardened Subsystems for longer fights, that should be interesting.

So basically I can say I love the new update after a chaotic start.
The backgrounds look very good, nice star coronas and gorgeous hyperspace. The music is quite good from what I heard before getting back to the all mighty Barry White.
The new system is really interesting and should show a lot about each players particularity, I for one cannot wait long enough to make a good use of "Go Dark" and almost always end up caught.
Have yet to properly take a look at officers, hired two but am the cautious kind with my toys.
About missions, I did one for drugs in Jangala, the only smuggling I succeeded at there actually, and it was interesting to do; and another for delivering suplies to the Luddic Church at a whooping 130K for 200 supplies, quite the reward for something I had at my feet on the starter station.

There is one thing that I think could be nice later on, especially with the faction locking near end game That would be non monetary reward from the faction but factions specific weapons or ships, like the Dominator, and even their variants for higher rewards, like the XIV variant. In the long run with the Industry part it may even be blueprints for those...but maybe I am getting a bit ahead of myself there.

Anyway, it is now 3am and I started the game around 23pm thinking I'd try just a few things, which is a good indicator of a successful update.
Thanks again for a great game Alex, and David as well for those delicious visual delicacies.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 21, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »

Appreciate the feedback! This is one of those things where it feels like no matter how much the pirates get nerfed, it's never enough. Let's nerf them some more, then - modified the various (D) hullmods so that most pirates end up with quadruple the sensor profile (and something like twice the effective "detected at" range).
egads! with another huge nerf to (D) variants, could you make standard variants for sale more common at Pirate bases and black markets? it already feels like 90% of the ships i have access to as a Pirate myself are useless (at least of those ship types that actually have (D) variants).

the Pirate-y Mule can be quite useful, despite the lowered stats, due to its Shielded Cargo Holds and universal mount.. but with quadrupled sensor profile, i'm not sure if it would still be worth it, especially seeing as how the increased profile has a particularly big impact in that Mule's unique role as a smuggling ship :/

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 21, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »

Hummm, what's going on with the Onslaught having its weapons emplacements from different epoch?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 21, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »

AI still has 0 idea how to use a Conquest. :(

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 21, 2015, 06:35:24 PM »

Hummm, what's going on with the Onslaught having its weapons emplacements from different epoch?

What do you mean?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 21, 2015, 06:40:12 PM »

What do you mean?

I mean it used to have consistent very low-tech mounts but it's no longer the case:

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 21, 2015, 06:44:52 PM »

Ah, gotcha. Please direct all inquires to the Hegemony Bureau of Aerospace Design. Your inquiry is important to them, and the average wait time for a response is no more than 3 cycles. (The response is usually a request to resubmit, in quintiplicate, some forms that had a minor error.)

... ahem, got a bit carried away.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 21, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »

How difficult would it to create a guided tutorial through the first stages of the game?

Rather than make picks at the start to determine the class you play (bounty hunter, trader, etc), start the game off by getting the player to go through some scripted scenario's to introduce all the different aspects of game play.  This would also be a great opportunity as well to introduce the player to the starsector universe and the different factions that inhabit it.

Finally allow the player to choose their desired class and their preferred allegiance (a small starting bonus to relations with that faction, with a corresponding decrease in relations with factions that are hostile to that one).  Now start the player in that factions home system.

It would also be good to start off by restricting the maximum fleet sizes of enemies for a few months, just to get the new player comfortable with the mechanics before dialing up the difficulty.  

My younger brother was extremely keen on giving this game a whirl, but got frustrated with the unforgiving mechanics (I think he got to about level 6; started off as a smuggler I think as an honest trader).  There is a huge amount to learn;  for example, the different weapon types:  I had to go through and help him the Cerberus weapons load out to help him do better damage; He had a fragmentation weapon (Thumper) as the primary weapon, but he wasn't to know about how fragmentation is not particularly good against shields or armour in terms of damage.

I'm guessing since this is a beta, we just have a few tool-tips at the moment, but the final version will have tool-tips once you have finalized the game.  MOO2 (Master of Orion II) did a fantastic job with teaching you how to play inside the game with all the tool-tip pop-up's for everything you mouse over..please do this!  :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:58:07 PM by Baqar79 »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 21, 2015, 06:59:51 PM »

a campaign tutorial and more variety in how you can start the game would be great, but the combat tutorial that's accessed from the main menu does actually explain things like the different damage types rather well, imo.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 21, 2015, 07:02:33 PM »

How difficult would it to create a guided tutorial through the first stages of the game?

Difficult? Probably not very. Time-consuming? Extremely, especially given that every update would break it horribly. IMO, as much as something like this is eventually needed, it's not worth doing until things are much more stable and full-featured mechanics-wise.

He had a fragmentation weapon (Thumper) as the primary weapon, but he wasn't to know about how fragmentation is not particularly good against shields or armour in terms of damage.

That stuff is in the combat tutorials, btw.

I'm guessing since this is a beta, we just have a few tool-tips at the moment, but the final version will have tool-tips once you have finalized the game.  MOO2 (Master of Orion II) did a fantastic job with teaching you how to play inside the game with all the tool-tip pop-up's for everything you mouse over..please do this!  :)

Hmm. I feel like there are tooltips pretty much everywhere and I try to add copious tooltips for every new feature. Where in particular do you feel they're missing?

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 21, 2015, 07:21:04 PM »

Tool tips are spot on. My one request would be to remove the F1 requirement for additional information as theres not too much point to it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 21, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »

(@Troll: glad someone's got an SO enforcer with dual chainguns working for them!)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 21, 2015, 07:38:58 PM »

I've been planning a simple campaign tutorial mod similar to the Space Rangers 2 one, with pre-defined missions for a simple courier quest, a multi-fleet battle and a sneaking test.
Will post about it if anything comes of it.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 90