Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574266 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #870 on: November 20, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »

I feel like the casualty rates for boarding are a little crazy. It always seems like I lose at least twice as many marines as there are enemy crew in any boarding action and at times it's far higher. I just encountered a rather extreme example where I lost 28 marines boarding a Lasher with 2 crew.
Let's not forget that these are HIGHLY trained men and women in power armor!
I also noticed Alex that the amount of crew killed and the detected amount don't match up most of the time. The detected amount always seems highed than the kill count
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 20, 2015, 04:07:13 PM »

Thanks Alex, will try that. I indeed haven't tried SO, only looked at it and wondering how it would fare on destroyers.
Have always been a Hegemony fanboy, so whenever I could I would upgrade straight to a bulky fortress and quickly stop using frigates, which ends up with me having extremely low mileage with frigs. Though since the last build I saw a very intriguing frigate in the form of the Monitor, which may make me try to keep using them IF I can get my hands on it, and the Kite also seems like a fun swarm tactic oriented frigate (or rather, super fighter).

I also guess it makes starting with a bit of trading more interesting even for fully battle oriented players.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #872 on: November 20, 2015, 04:07:50 PM »

I also noticed Alex that the amount of crew killed and the detected amount don't match up most of the time. The detected amount always seems highed than the kill count
It's ZOMBIES

Well , what does (A) variant stand for? Advanced?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:09:26 PM by Aron0621 »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 20, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »

Well , what does (A) variant stand for? Advanced?
I might not know what the (A) stands for, but I certainly know that it's better.  I found a Hound (A) right off the bat after delivering some Drugs to Asharu on my way back at Jangala - picked that right up and sold my old Hound.  Damn, that thing is still with me in my playthrough.  It managed to survive a double-hit of Hammer with it's officer - I'm impressed. :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 20, 2015, 04:13:58 PM »

I like the "degraded engines/faulty power grids add sensor profile" idea. Even if it only means you get that "there's something there" sensor icon, at least the pirates won't be a complete surprise. Of course, I imagine sensor hullmods that boost range or hide sensor profiles, dedicated support/utility ships that specialize in sensor intel/counter-intel, etc. are only a matter of time.

As an aside, what determines the sensor range/profile? Is it solely determined by fleet size or do individual hulls have their own sensor stats? I was thinking about some of the "science" ships out there (Apogee comes to mind) and how I could imagine them having more powerful sensors than your run-of-the-mill ship of the same size.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 20, 2015, 04:15:23 PM »

I like the "degraded engines/faulty power grids add sensor profile" idea. Even if it only means you get that "there's something there" sensor icon, at least the pirates won't be a complete surprise. Of course, I imagine sensor hullmods that boost range or hide sensor profiles, dedicated support/utility ships that specialize in sensor intel/counter-intel, etc. are only a matter of time.

As an aside, what determines the sensor range/profile? Is it solely determined by fleet size or do individual hulls have their own sensor stats? I was thinking about some of the "science" ships out there (Apogee comes to mind) and how I could imagine them having more powerful sensors than your run-of-the-mill ship of the same size.
They (Apogee and the Omen) already do have enhanced sensors! It is a built in hull mod
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 20, 2015, 04:18:14 PM »

(A) stands for auxiliary, as in "militarized auxiliary". At least, as far as I understand it. David would know for sure, since he did all that :)

It managed to survive a double-hit of Hammer with it's officer - I'm impressed. :D

(I'm more impressed that something managed to hit a Hound with a Hammer at all, never mind twice.)

Each ship has a sensor strength and a sensor profile stat that's based on size and can be influenced by hullmods. The Apogee, indeed, has just such a built-in hullmod. So you're right on about that :)

(Ninja'ed...)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 20, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »

Alex, can you add confirmation to Active sensor burst? You know... it's a risky option.
And some extra warning about pinging with transpoder off somehow.

It managed to survive a double-hit of Hammer with it's officer - I'm impressed. :D

(I'm more impressed that something managed to hit a Hound with a Hammer at all, never mind twice.)
Apparantly someone mastered gunnery implant :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:24:35 PM by Aron0621 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 20, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »

Alex, can you add confirmation to Active sensor burst? You know... it's a risky option.
And some extra warning about pinging with transpoder off somehow.

Hmm. What makes ASB more worthy of a confirmation than "Go Dark" or "Emergency Burn"?

As far as a warning about doing it with the transponder off, I don't think that's needed. It's the sort of thing you learn very quickly by doing, and the penalty isn't even all that severe. There are lots of interactions between abilities, terrain, sensors/fleets, etc. Warning about all of them is not practical or even desirable. Learning/discovery is fun, and I daresay the "oh crap" moment when you do an ASB and see patrols burning for you is a good thing.

(You might ask what makes the transponder special, and it's a valid question. One of the reasons is that turning it on after piracy but with enemies still in sight will drop your reputation a lot, permanently. That's very severe and needs a confirmation. Also because it's easy to press "1" an extra time by accident when using a jumppoint, ahem. If we're being real here, that's half the reason it needs a double-tap.)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 20, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »

True... forgetting to turn it on before pinging feels terrible tho :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 20, 2015, 04:45:56 PM »

If it makes you reload, yeah. But if you have to deal with it? This is the kind of thing where iron mode (or self-imposed iron mode) can really add to the experience. A matter of taste, of course... I just find dealing with unexpected difficulties fun. And here, as a bonus, it's even entirely your own fault :P

pyg

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 20, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »

I super skimmed the last four pages, even skimming Alex when it didn't apply to my interest so take this not seriously.

Re: .7a Awesome, awesome, awesome.  Much love to the devs and test team.  Flawless release on i386/32 linux as far as I can test.

Sensors:  I had the same learning curve as everyone else and then was tossed twenty years into the past playing WWII submarine simulators on Commodores and PCs.  Haven't tried it yet, but I have a raging fantasy of a pirate future.  Seriously takes me back to Silent Hunter/688... methinks this element could be extended as well.  IMO this is the new big thing for modders as well, keeping a fleet silent and it's opposite is very cool.  Extending range!... hang on I need to mop up.

SO: as Helmut, Megas, and others have postulated and reported, this is a fairly overpowered mod in skilled hands.  I've scaled Helmut's Lasher experience to an Eagle with outstanding results.  No problems IMO as I expect balance issues to be solved via mods first and foremost.

Point of this post (the complaint):  So I went into the mission board and since one of the missions seemed interesting I pressed 'e" to see the prices galacticaly. Since keybindings aren't locally configurable (which would be a good thing (but much love for the changes from .65.x(love that 'esc' backs out which is as it should be)))(lisp geeks rule!) I accepted the mission. So how do I figure out what missions I've committed to?  My expectation was to go back to the mission board to remind me.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 20, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »

pyg, you can find out from the Intel screen, check the 'missions' sub section.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

pyg

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 20, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »

pyg, you can find out from the Intel screen, check the 'missions' sub section.
Oh yeah, I just did that and it worked... why did I ever wonder how it should be that way?

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 20, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »

Just a little bit of a complaint about transitioning into jump points.

There is a bit of a delay in which you can not move during the transition animation; however time continues on for other ships despite this. 

I was being chased by a rather large group of pirates, but despite outrunning them, they caught up during the transition from hyperspace->normal space, since during the animation they are free to move around and jump through the gate while my ships are being anchored until the jumping animation completes.

Either giving them the same delay or pausing the game during the animation would work.  It does keep things tense during a chase, but it's kind of like the monsters that chase you in your nightmares as a child:   You suddenly find your legs can no longer move, but meanwhile that monster approaches steadily closer and closer...
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 90