Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574382 times)

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #735 on: November 19, 2015, 02:02:15 PM »

Hmm... you need to be stationary to take advantage of planetary rings, but if you stay still they just slide out from underneath you after a few seconds. That's very awkward. Maybe stopping on top of them should "anchor" you to them and keep you immobile relative to them.

J3R

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 19, 2015, 02:03:13 PM »

Thanks for the update I'm not active much on forums but I love this game.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 19, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »

It's out. It's like Christmas morning  :)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 19, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »

This is great :)

Must admit was totally (repeatedly) bushwhacked by not understanding the sensor mechanics immediately ... but yeah, once you start to use them, and think about how to use them, I think they really do work nicely.

Maybe there is some tweaking to do on ranges for starter fleets, to try and avoid the 'newbie trap' (those first few pirates really, genuinely, just came from nowhere :)), but then, maybe not (now I've learnt my lesson, I understand it is a key mechanic and can start to skulk about, skirting around the 'genestealer' blips hanging around in space). Looks like there will be a lot of discussion on this, anyway :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 19, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »

Awakened from sleep at night and wondered why. Checked site for release... JACKPOT! Excellent trailer with very vibrant sounds and music.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 19, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »

It's out! Updated OP with link to blog post.

Congrats on the release Alex (and David and StianStark of course)  :D

Great work on the new trailer (although I do feel you could add a bit more of the lore into it (maybe for the next trailer?))

Love the new ship descriptions (only had a chance to look at the codex so far) and I think the fact that there are now passenger liners (i.e. more non-military ships) is really starting to make the sector seem like a living eco-system!

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 19, 2015, 02:17:49 PM »

I'm liking this update a lot. The atmosphere is amazing compared to before, the music is cool, the pirates are ninjas. Ninjas that are telling me that I suck at flying a wolf instead of mod ships :)

A question though: How do you catch things in bigger ships with the Navigation skill changed to what it is now? Do you just have to be sneakier?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 19, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »

One tiny thing about the trailer... It goes like: Trade! *shows trade*, Upgrade! *shows upgrade screen*,  Plan! *shows tactical map*, ........*shows battle*. I'm missing the "Fight!".

Anyway, I'm just this second starting a new campaign (I'm home now) and before I do anything else I have to say: I love the new portraits, great work David! They're so much cleaner than the old ones.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 19, 2015, 02:24:17 PM »

After 20 seconds of playing, I realize this.

Damn, it's hard to avoid pirates.  I'm so used to the old "sensor" system - this'll take some time getting used to, and more time after that to learn how to use it properly.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 19, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »

I love the depth that's been added to the campaign map movement; really feels like an integral part of the game now.

The start is indeed a lot harder; new map mechanics, new market dynamics, new star systems, new AI loadouts & behaviour, rebalanced skills, more expensive hulls that are harder to find, so much to adapt to!

- I found New Maxios had supplies @ ~350 ea... blew my entire balance on super expensive supplies (~120 ea) from the nearby Tri-Tach base to make a quick buck..... then returned to New Maxios to find supplies @ 40 ea  >:( Restart!
- My Lasher (with mostly KI weapons) jumped by a terrifyingly deadly Attack Frigate (no idea what the cpt had, but I didn't even get through his armour!); Restart!
- Engaged solitary pirate... engagement screen showed an additional 45bjillion pirates that were apparently nearby but not visible on my scanners at all. Restart!

I *shall* reach lvl60 without any death restarts!

My one complaint is that this release didn't provide me with a replacement mouse!
I'm stuck playing with a RMB that doesn't work properly! The micro-switch often double clicks, leading to both undesired overloads & unintended hull damage  :(
Ordering new mouse right after I finish this post; can't have it spoil my SS enjoyment.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:28:40 PM by TJJ »

vitowns

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 19, 2015, 02:26:56 PM »

Greetings new player here only had this game last week i think, but i played nonstop of previous build but i must say this build is even more amazing, i'm really amazed and i love fighting side by side with the hedgemony against pirates and everything this update is about. The whole sensors thing is really cool and truly gives me a feel of a space commander even more than the previous build i played, nicely done thanks :D

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 19, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »

CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY!

I CAME TOO

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 19, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »

Okay, here's the biggest problem that's obvious to me immediately: Quick Load doesn't work in battle. You have to quit aaaaaall the way to the main menu, then manually load the game via the load game menu.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 19, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »

Quick comments:

The game sometimes freezes before combat begins, and I need to exit the game; I suspect lack of memory.  (I do not have 64-bit Java on my machine.)  I should try dev mode to see if that fixes the problem (after I get a bigger fleet).

Game seems harder to start than before.  It is easy to get ambushed, and it is hard to find weak or small targets to pick off.  Joining battles is a double-edged sword.  Sometimes, you get to join a big battle and earn some XP and loot.  Other times, you just stumbled unknowingly into an impossible fight, and you need to flee (and get pursued).

I like the Wolf's new starter configuration - pulse laser and PD lasers.

Suicide exploit is still there.  I took the broken Hermes from the abandoned station and suicide it for a Lasher.

Two of the new systems are dead duds - no markets, no enemies, waste of time.

Safety Override is good for some ships stuck with short-ranged weapons.  I use it on the Lasher.  I tried it on my Wolf with Heavy Blaster, but not being able to vent hurts too much.

It is nice to kill things and not worry about Vengeful relations ruining my game.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 19, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »

Play Ironman, solves all your quickload issues! >8D
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 90