Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574499 times)

gozer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #720 on: November 19, 2015, 11:42:39 AM »

yesssssss .... new release. So glad I remembered to check forum today  ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 19, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »

I haven't played vanilla in such a long time. God the starts are hard (even on easy). With the transponder stuff now, the range that I can detect pirates is tiny and I end up burning supplies trying to find ones that I can reasonably handle. I literally ran out of credits and supplies so I had to start over.

(Hot tip: turn the transponder off to reduce the chances of getting ambushed like that. Alternatively, use Active Sensor Burst to scope out the nearby area and, most likely, attract some unwanted attention. Wouldn't do both at the same time, though, that's just asking for patrols to come looking.)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 19, 2015, 12:06:15 PM »

Preliminary review: I like the beeps and boops.

The Kite (D) class has a weird distorted Mule sprite in the codex.

The new Arbalest looks fantastic. I miss the old Tarsus, but comparing the two, it's probably just the colour scheme.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:17:25 PM by Schwartz »

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 19, 2015, 12:32:59 PM »

It's weird how friendlies are so eager to deploy multiple destroyers and swarms of frigates and fighters to assist me in killing two Hounds.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 19, 2015, 12:55:06 PM »

seems pretty neat, only complaint is the rather stale starting options. really needs a pirate/factional start system with branching options IMO

sensor stuff is neat but i haven't really gotten that far into the game yet on account of being jumped by pirate attack fleets. maybe i'm just doing it wrong but detect range in the wolf is so small as to be basically nonexistent.

edit: also new systems are really nice looking, my only complaint is that many of them seem very empty; perhaps there are hidden bases i can't see though, in combination with the new sensor system(?) i recall the X series had hidden pirate bases you could dock at. i'll keep exploring in the meantime anyway, been waiting for release on this one for months.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:58:34 PM by Cik »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 19, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »

sensor stuff is neat but i haven't really gotten that far into the game yet on account of being jumped by pirate attack fleets. maybe i'm just doing it wrong but detect range in the wolf is so small as to be basically nonexistent.

A large part of this is the transponder - if pirates see you coming before you see them, by the time you see them they're already flying at you at full speed (or have gone dark) and it's too late. It's more manageable with the transponder off (or if you travel at more oblique angles to where you expect pirates to be), but then you have to watch out for patrols.

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 19, 2015, 01:01:32 PM »

Thank you all.

The new update is sweet as a cake.
I started a easy game to get back into from a long abstinence

The "worldmap" including deepspace is really nice.
e.g the corona on the pirate gas giant from the sun

I like that if i join an ongoing battle , the 2 fleets are already in the middle of the battle while i must fly there from the edge also luring pirates in a trap ( its a trap ! ) by using sensor burst works pretty nice.  ::)
So all of the skills i have seen so far have their uses depending on what you wanna do.
Very well done !

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

lStealtherl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 19, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »

Suppose I can forget my sleep now

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 19, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »

Really good work on the new update, but man is game hard now. I'm playing on easy and I'm getting *** hard, pirates come out of nowhere with crazy burn speed and just kill me. Also I don't understand the transponder thing, it says when I turn it off I should be harder to detect but most off the time turning it off doesn't do anything. Can anyone please explain me how this new stuff works. Thanks in advance ;)
Please don't take me too seriously.

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 19, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »

Really good work on the new update, but man is game hard now. I'm playing on easy and I'm getting *** hard, pirates come out of nowhere with crazy burn speed and just kill me. Also I don't understand the transponder thing, it says when I turn it off I should be harder to detect but most off the time turning it off doesn't do anything. Can anyone please explain me how this new stuff works. Thanks in advance ;)

Just dont fly directly to possible pirate locations .. get closer to them slowly, also use sensor burst to draw some attention. Probably a pirate force will look after it ( transponder on or you will draw local forces attention , too )
Have a look a the 2 numbers in the left ( the numbers are how well you´re seen while how well you can see them )
turning transponder off and flying dark both reduces your sensor profile i think. You could try that.
Or just follow a medium sized Hegemony fleet ( heading for pirate worlds ) and join the fight.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 19, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »

Hint if you're finding the game too hard: named bounties seem easier, you can probably take 20,000 credits ones in your starting Wolf.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 19, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »

Just dont fly directly to possible pirate locations .. get closer to them slowly, also use sensor burst to draw some attention. Probably a pirate force will look after it ( transponder on or you will draw local forces attention , too )
Have a look a the 2 numbers in the left ( the numbers are how well you´re seen while how well you can see them )
turning transponder off and flying dark both reduces your sensor profile i think. You could try that.
Or just follow a medium sized Hegemony fleet ( heading for pirate worlds ) and join the fight.

Thanks man, I pretty much understand it now. Seems like sticking with Hegemony fleets like glue is a viable strat.
Please don't take me too seriously.

miro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 19, 2015, 01:14:47 PM »

The atmosphere is incredible. Without being able to see ships milling around all over the show, the game feels quieter, and foreboding. The flavor text on some of the abandoned stuff in new systems really drove home to me how dire the sector's situation is, and how much has been lost.
Hey brah.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 19, 2015, 01:22:46 PM »

It's out! Yessss! Not to mention the trailer looks awesome. Must refrain from skipping class to play. Must refrain from skipping class to play. Must refrain from skipping class to play.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #734 on: November 19, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »

Darn, I have to go to school...
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 90