Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574270 times)

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #480 on: November 05, 2015, 01:56:03 AM »

Why the nerf to the Atlas its already incredibly squishy did it get buffed in some other way?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 05, 2015, 02:55:30 AM »

Establishing your "street cred", if you will.

Would be cool if that was an alternative/complementary way of resolving a "faction ties" investigation. "What, you think I like them Hegemony bastards just because I worked with them? Watch me!" **** gun*

Commander personality now has some effect on fleet behavior

Can you discover a commander's personality when you speak with them, or just via observation of their behavior? Also, I assume the fleet commander takes part in battle as a combat officer?

Battles in deep hyperspace no longer have nebula patches on the battlefield

What about asteroids? They seem like the less "hyperspacy" of the two.

...a special hyperspace terrain feature would be awesome at some point. Imagine suddenly opening rifts, or a maelstrom, or wormholes leading to the other side of the battle map ;D
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 05, 2015, 04:20:57 AM »

Re: Atlas losing flight deck:  I thought Atlas had zilch for mounts because of flight deck.  Prometheus, the big fuel tanker, can equip enough weapons to defend itself from enemy frigates.  The Atlas cannot.  Also, Prometheus has drones to add to its firepower, but Atlas just has worthless flares.

It would be nice if the Atlas can be buffed some other way, like upgrading it small mounts to mediums or replacing the system with something more useful.

I like that deep hyperspace has no nebula.  It is nice there are places with no terrain, no tricks, just plain nothing to get in the way in space.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #483 on: November 05, 2015, 05:44:39 AM »

...a special hyperspace terrain feature would be awesome at some point. Imagine suddenly opening rifts, or a maelstrom, or wormholes leading to the other side of the battle map ;D
After a lengthy struggle and heavy loss, your fleet finally manages to overload enemy Onslaught. Reapers fly to deliver their deadly charge. Just as the first torpedo is about to find its mark, a wormhole opens, sending the giant capital into unknown area of battlefield. A minute later, your carriers report sensor contact, but that was their last communication...

Heck what did I just wrote?

hurleybird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 05, 2015, 06:04:22 AM »

Augmented Engines: burn speed increase reduced to 1, now also reduces sensor strength by 50%/increases sensor profile by 50%, removed capacity penalty

Perhaps the penalty should be limited to the sensor profile?

1) The reduced sensor strength can, I assume, be nullified having a ship in the fleet with high sensor strength, while the sensor profile has a more fleet-wide impact.
2) More powerful engines increasing the sensor profile makes perfect sense and is an easy concept to grasp. I can't think of how different engines would interact with a ship's sensor package to reduce its effectiveness though.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 05, 2015, 06:06:30 AM »

Increased engine radiation messing up with sensor. It too is an easy concept for sci-fi, I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 06:08:37 AM by Aron0621 »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 05, 2015, 06:17:27 AM »

I wonder if the penalties for Augmented Engines may be too much; I will need to see before passing judgment.  It seems strange that the sensor and profile penalties from Augmented Engines match (or comparable if not matching) those from Emergency Burn.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 05, 2015, 06:32:30 AM »

With burn speed increase(which, I believe, is primary reason for most people to use it) nurfed to 1, new penalty sounds a bit too severe... Well, we'll see.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 05, 2015, 06:53:58 AM »

Augmented engine penalty counts for the ship using it, emergency burn penalty for the whole fleet. So if you just buff your slowest ship with AE, the penalty is much smaller.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 05, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »

I use Augmented Engines on everything not named Hyperion primarily for combat speed (which is more than Unstable Injector), though the burn bonus is nice too.  It would not be fun if Augmented Engines became the current Automated Repair - nice combat bonuses, but crippling campaign penalty to balance the campaign bonus.  Would prefer no campaign penalty/bonus to crippling campaign penalty to offset minor campaign bonus.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 05, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »

i think it makes sense for increased engine exhaust to interfere with your own sensors, especially if the engines are pushed beyond what would ordinarily be considered safe for that ship-class. and maybe part of augmenting ship engines is also having to install stronger and larger containment fields that shield the ship's crew and more delicate hardware from dangerous emissions.

i agree that both sensor strength and profile being nerfed by 50% seems a bit much though (as far as we can speculate about these things before having actually played with sensors at all^^).

on that note, can we get some kind of hullmod that improves sensors? basically the opposite of the built-in civilian hullmod that reduces strength and increases profile, allowing us to sacrifice ordnance points for improved detection and/or stealth. could be an unlock from the Computer Systems skill or something like that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:44:15 AM by Sy »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 05, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »

I do not mind some penalty on Augmented Engines, but it seems 50% for seeing and being seen may be too much.  It could be one of those where if I need to sneak into stations, I may need to toggle Augmented Engines on and off to maximize chance of success.  Toggle off if near market, toggle back on when docked (or fleeing from patrol).

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 05, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »

Well if the idea of augmented engines is to NOT have it on everything automatically, then this sounds perfect. Remember that its only the ships that have it get the penalty, so its still a viable way of boosting a few ships.

Also, it somewhat mitigates its own penalty. While you see/can see less, you are also faster so should be able to get away better from those ambushes/chase down the prey you do find.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 05, 2015, 09:03:03 AM »

Augmented Engines should be an upgrade over Unstable Injector, like Integrated Targeting Unit is to Dedicated Targeting Core.  If Augmented Engines hurts too much, it becomes a power-up letdown or poison mushroom.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 05, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »

Something I thought of:  If faction ties only check for major factions, and Pirates do not count as major faction, and if becoming friendly with one major faction makes the rest of the majors hate you, then it seems eventually, it may be a good idea to become friendly with pirates too, if only to gain access to military market and be able to buy rare weapons, once player graduates from killing pirates to killing the N-1 majors.  Trading with pirates should not be a problem in systems where the only other factions there are enemies.

P.S. Another benefit of friendly pirates is another place to repair your fleet.  That is better than buying rare weapons at Umbra.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:52:04 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 90