Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574491 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #465 on: November 04, 2015, 03:07:14 PM »

If being affiliated with a major faction makes the rest of the majors hate you, then what I like to see (after 0.7) is letting a free agent player (you) become big enough to be (recognized as) a major faction, declare your independence, and make all major factions hate you (because you are friendly with the major faction known as yourself).

I like to see the designated player's Lone Star to become on par... nay, superior than the rest of the major factions (e.g., bigger than even Hegemony), even if the player needs to work for it.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 04, 2015, 03:12:18 PM »

@Megas
I almost don't think that's in the scope of the vanilla game.  You might be large enough to become a corporate threat to the Hegemony or Tri-Tachyon (when Industry roles around), but militarily - not based on your skill alone, mind you - I don't think that's ever meant to happen.  When the description of SS says "Leave your mark upon the world and determine the fate of the Sector with your decisions", I don't think Alex ever meant for the player to just take over the sector.  The factions are simply too well-entrenched for a random person to take it over, even if they have to work long and hard for it.  It would take something of colossal magnitude to dig them out - something like another Collapse.
(well, that's just what I think - not sure what's going on in Alex's head)

Also, would be nice if you could respawn at least somewhat near the system that you got splattered over the side of you hull on.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:14:31 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 04, 2015, 03:40:33 PM »

A lot of things can change in a generation.  If the player is willing to grind for twenty or more cycles to make sector domination possible, so be it.  It could be that the established powers were simply not as ruthless and bold as the player is.  (Or if they were, became arrogant, complacent, and incompetent before player entered the scene.)

It is possible to translate player exploiting AI or otherwise winning against impossible odds (like soloing fleet after fleet with chain-frigate flagships) as a legendary revolutionary able to do the impossible and unite the sector (under his heel)... or destroy it.

I do not like the idea of playing paperboy to one or more factions like it is done now.  Sure, using one faction is smart, but it would be fun if there is a unique benefit for creating my own faction and redraw the map (even if I lose out on some things).

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 04, 2015, 04:19:04 PM »

Isn't it the backstory of the Sindrian Dictat basically what Megas is talking about though? One person with a battlefleet who takes over a system and declares themselves the ruler. I'm guessing there was some serious asskicking involved that stopped the Hegemony from just snapping them up again.

[Edit] To clarify - I think it would be totally possible, just difficult. Which is not a bad thing.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 04, 2015, 04:27:12 PM »

You see, the way that you think isn't the way that most people think (in reality or in games) - which means it won't be accepted very much.  The same outlook is going to be taken by the factions in-game if you decide to go that route - and when everyone hates you, you won't last very long.  If you take the AI frmo the Civilization games, they know how to exploit that - dog-piling on the faction in question.  So even if you do manage to grind the 20 cycles to gain power (and you aren't picked off in the meantime, not taking into consideration SS's never-dying-main-character syndrome), you're probably going to be dog-piled by all the other factions and get your faction wiped out very quickly.  It doesn't matter how good in combat you are - you can't  be everywhere at once.

Besides, a lot of what you usually say has a lot of base on exploiting the AI (by usually taking advantage of what the AI can't do when compared to a human) - not really the best base for a game mechanic, I think.

@Thaago
I think the Sindrian Diktat was created by the Hegemony themselves - not really by a rouge person invading and making a faction by themselves.  They had (and still have) the authority and power of the Hegemony behind them - think of the Sindrian Diktat as a satellite state of the Hegemony.

EDIT:
As a side note, did anyone notice that the Persian League, Ko Kombine, and even the Luddic Path are already in the the game?  Maybe not as a faction, but you can find their descriptions and flags in the game.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:33:32 PM by The Soldier »
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 04, 2015, 05:10:34 PM »

Isn't it the backstory of the Sindrian Dictat basically what Megas is talking about though? One person with a battlefleet who takes over a system and declares themselves the ruler. I'm guessing there was some serious asskicking involved that stopped the Hegemony from just snapping them up again.

Yes, essentially. The political terrain there will make more sense when the Sector gets fleshed out some more.

( ... I have an enormous backstory document.  :-X)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #471 on: November 04, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »

Couple of suggestions.

@Smuggling investigation: I think, if the player didn't resolve misunderstandings, there should be chance of him wrongly found guilty. There should be warning of course.

@Faction ties: Can it be like 'if faction A finds out the player is friendly with faction B which is below certain level of friendliness(suspecious by default and adjustable per faction) with faction A, it starts investigation'?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:16:31 PM by Aron0621 »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »

I expect factions to dog-pile an upstart.  If the player can survive the dog-piling, he should be able to crush what is left.  Basically, bruised-yet-still-standing survivor says "Is that your best? My turn now!" <Cue slasher smile.>

I think the Sindrian Diktat was created by the Hegemony themselves - not really by a rouge person invading and making a faction by themselves.  They had (and still have) the authority and power of the Hegemony behind them - think of the Sindrian Diktat as a satellite state of the Hegemony.
In that case, neither faction should have a problem with you allying with either, but that will not be the case.  You become friends with one, the other (and everyone else) hates you.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 04, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »

In that case, neither faction should have a problem with you allying with either, but that will not be the case.  You become friends with one, the other (and everyone else) hates you.
Well, in the words of Alex:
"'Major' might be the wrong word here. In their case, it's more 'suspicious and insular'."
It could be changed so that they're either not a major faction, or have them become at least Cooperative with the Hegemony so the rep balance change doesn't happen in some future patch notes.

Euqocelbbog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 04, 2015, 07:40:53 PM »

I expect factions to dog-pile an upstart.  If the player can survive the dog-piling, he should be able to crush what is left.  Basically, bruised-yet-still-standing survivor says "Is that your best? My turn now!" <Cue slasher smile.>

This is actually pretty similar to how Mount&Blade operates if the player tries to establish an independent kingdom. Because an upstart kingdom threatens the status quo and should be easy pickings, you'll rapidly face declarations of war from multiple other kingdoms and they'll bring enormous armies to try to crush you. Going rogue ends up being a difficult process that requires a great deal of preparation and isn't a very realistic proposition unless the player really knows how to play the system.

That's kind of how I'd imagine going rogue in SS would be like.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 04, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »

Well, in the words of Alex:
"'Major' might be the wrong word here. In their case, it's more 'suspicious and insular'."
It could be changed so that they're either not a major faction, or have them become at least Cooperative with the Hegemony so the rep balance change doesn't happen in some future patch notes.

Oh, to clarify - Thaago's take was correct. Diktat and Hegemony do not get along as the Diktat was formed by the rogue admiral Andrada who (mis-)used Hegemony authority to intervene in the Askonian civil war, take over, and form the Sindrian Diktat. The Hegemony doesn't just invade because Askonia is at the center of a whole bunch of competing powers who, although they don't like the Diktat (who does?) enjoy its existence as a convenient thorn in the Hegemony's side.

... Some of these competing powers just aren't on the map yet, cough. But we'll get there!

(Will now restrain my info-dumping to overlong mission briefings and in-game descriptions.)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 04, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »

Ah, alright, thanks for the update David. :) Although, at the time of the raid Admiral Andrada had the power of the Hegemony behind him, so it doesn't qualify for what Megas wanted.

By the way - info-dump as much as you like, preferably here and before the patch hits. :D

Bribe Guntails

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 04, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »

Oh, to clarify - Thaago's take was correct. Diktat and Hegemony do not get along as the Diktat was formed by the rogue admiral Andrada who (mis-)used Hegemony authority to intervene in the Askonian civil war, take over, and form the Sindrian Diktat. The Hegemony doesn't just invade because Askonia is at the center of a whole bunch of competing powers who, although they don't like the Diktat (who does?) enjoy its existence as a convenient thorn in the Hegemony's side.

... Some of these competing powers just aren't on the map yet, cough. But we'll get there!

(Will now restrain my info-dumping to overlong mission briefings and in-game descriptions.)

...also not to mention that Askonia is the primary fuel provider for the sector (as of 0.65.2)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 04, 2015, 08:20:38 PM »

I imagine that its been long enough by now that taking them out wouldn't be so easy... dictatorships so rounded by enemies tend to build large militaries at the expense of all else.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #479 on: November 04, 2015, 09:25:42 PM »

And only a tiny fraction of the sector is now present in-game.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 90