Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574305 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #435 on: November 03, 2015, 07:11:18 PM »

Also, assuming you added a warp point to the other star in the binary system?

Yep.

It would be neat if there were a jump point inside the system from near Valhalla to near Ragnar. It would make Ragnar still feel remote even though it's accessible whereas a jump point from hyperspace wouldn't.

Hmm, interesting idea.

I absolutely love this change!  Might make the fleets feel a lot more human - I do this pretty damn often myself.

It's been pretty fun in testing :)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 03, 2015, 07:12:46 PM »

It would be cool and a cheap quality of life fix if the burn speed bonus applied to a very small range from 0%-1% flux. There are a couple of instances where flux hovers in the single or double digits but passive dissipation is enough to *theoretically* keep it at 0. It's only the way that flux is added that prevents it from dissipating more than it accumulates and therefore staying at 0%.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 03, 2015, 07:13:59 PM »

Navigation skill: now reduces burn level penalties from terrain by 5% per level <--- Is this a bonus or is it replacing the burn speed boost?
Replacing.
Wow, that is gonna be a change! Why the change of heart? Are you adding a new skill with the burn speed boosts in it or are they gone forever? Also why have the burn speed meter goes up to 20 when most likely 16 IIRC is the highest with all of the boosts?

Helmsmanship level 5 perk: now grants maneuverability bonus instead of top speed with zero flux <--- No more zero speed flux boost at 20%? Why? And don't we already have another maneuverability skill/ perk?
The level 5 perk was an extra +25 to the boost. Level 10 was the "have it at up to 25%".
Why? It was getting a bit out of hand with ships getting too much top speed and not enough acceleration. With AI controlled ships receiving these bonuses now, it was too much for it to handle.
Ah OK, was a bit confused there by the wording.

Safety Overrides: now also extends overload duration by 50% <--- OUch, that's gonna hurt along with the high OP usage and its other drawbacks...
It's still really good. Had an Eagle in my fleet with SO and a dps-focused officer and, seriously, it made things disappear.
Are any variants going to have SO in them? It seems like the AI wouldn't be a good user of it because once it overloads, it will most likely die
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 03, 2015, 07:15:20 PM »

It would be cool and a cheap quality of life fix if the burn speed bonus applied to a very small range from 0%-1% flux. There are a couple of instances where flux hovers in the single or double digits but passive dissipation is enough to *theoretically* keep it at 0. It's only the way that flux is added that prevents it from dissipating more than it accumulates and therefore staying at 0%.

The way it works is intentional; don't want to have the speed bonus apply while shields are up. In fact, when you see the flux level switching values rapidly in the single digits? That's just a visual thing to indicate that there's a flux drain on the system, even though the dissipation is enough to take care of all of it.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 03, 2015, 07:16:09 PM »

Looks solid! I'm very very happy navigation is changed to remove the burn speed boosts - now ships can be a reasonable speed at start without zipping around like crazy at endgame.

Terrain adjustments:
    Nebulas and asteroid rings/fields now reduce fleet speed based on fleet size instead of reducing the burn level of individual ships

Does this mean that a small fleet can theoretically get away from a faster big fleet (say.... an armada of pirate frigates) by ducking into a hazard and shaking sensor range?

I'm SO looking forward to putting SO on things! ;)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 03, 2015, 07:19:18 PM »

Ah okay, that makes sense. I always use the speed bonus as more of a thing to be gamed rather than a simple bonus that mostly just applies to the pre-combat stage. But I guess the removal of the flux speed perk from the skill tree now puts it firmly into that noncombat corner.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 03, 2015, 07:22:12 PM »

Wow, that is gonna be a change! Why the change of heart? Are you adding a new skill with the burn speed boosts in it or are they gone forever? Also why have the burn speed meter goes up to 20 when most likely 16 IIRC is the highest with all of the boosts?

Gone for now. Why? It makes terrain a bit more important if you're really trying to either chase someone down or escape, where the flat burn level boosts were just a bit too good, even lowered as they were. I'd like forcing/avoiding engagements to heavily come down to ability and terrain use rather than purely having higher numbers.

You still *can* get a bit of a boost with tugs and Augmented Engines. Combined with Navigation, it just felt like too much.

Are any variants going to have SO in them? It seems like the AI wouldn't be a good user of it because once it overloads, it will most likely die

A few. The AI is pretty good about not overloading when it's not about to die anyway, and the variants are very deadly.

Does this mean that a small fleet can theoretically get away from a faster big fleet (say.... an armada of pirate frigates) by ducking into a hazard and shaking sensor range?

Yes! Though the pursuing fleet will keep looking for you for a while, even after they lose you.

I'm SO looking forward to putting SO on things! ;)

Oh, you.

Ah okay, that makes sense. I always use the speed bonus as more of a thing to be gamed rather than a simple bonus that mostly just applies to the pre-combat stage. But I guess the removal of the flux speed perk from the skill tree now puts it firmly into that noncombat corner.

The perk that allows its use at up to 25% flux is still there. But, yeah, without that the primary intent for the bonus is "help ships move about the battlefield outside of combat". Plus to game it, yes, but having to lower shields is part of the tradeoff there.

Hey, even Alex isn't immune to the quote mishap. :D

Thanks, fixed :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:05:25 PM by Alex »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 03, 2015, 07:55:37 PM »

Hey, even Alex isn't immune to the quote mishap. :D

That aside, nice to know why a ship loses it's speed bonus even though your flux dissipation can keep up.

EDIT:
I suppose this belongs here since it's about the update, but Alex said on his Twitter that he's planning for "a bit more marketing stuff" for the 0.7a release.  Just thought I'd let you guys know.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:50:29 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 03, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »

Evenly-matched or weaker fleets may follow you around waiting for an opportunity instead of fleeing or ignoring your fleet

I could totally see a mass of fleets waiting for you to enter a battle.

Is there a limit to how much fleets will follow you? Or a limit on how long they will follow you for?
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 03, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »

I could totally see a mass of fleets waiting for you to enter a battle.

Is there a limit to how much fleets will follow you? Or a limit on how long they will follow you for?

They'll follow you around until 1) you lose them 2) they decide to go back to port or 3) they reach a critical mass where they want to attack.

The personality of each fleet's commander plays into this; for example an aggressive commander might decide to engage earlier, forcing their less-aggressive allies - that would otherwise be content to follow you - to also join battle. You can't see what their personality is, of course, so in gameplay terms that just mixes it up a bit to keep the behavior from being entirely predictable.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 03, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »

Another question:

Does the emergency burn have lag? i.e. You activate emergency burn and there's a small delay between the activation and EB taking effect.

Thing is you could (with skill) EB away from a fleet that is burning towards you.

You'd have enough time, then, to get to a friendly fleet to assist you in taking care of the fleets that are following you.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #446 on: November 03, 2015, 10:48:33 PM »

It occurs to me that this scenario is possible in the monogamy event logic:

Faction A is friendly with Faction B.
Player is friendly with both Faction A and Faction B.
Faction A and Faction B are angry about this and both drop the player to Inhospitable.

Only cooperative seems to block it, which causes weird edge cases like this.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 04, 2015, 12:31:34 AM »

Added "radio chatter" sounds when near a market
Hehe, I like that one!  ;)
  • CombatUIAPI
    • addMessage(int newLineIndentIndex, Object ... params)
  • FluxTrackerAPI.stopVenting()
  • ShieldAPI
    • toggleOn()
  • ShipAPI
    • void setVentCoreTexture(String textureId);
    • void setVentFringeTexture(String textureId);
  • ViewportAPI
    • void setCenter(Vector2f c);
  • boolean isModEnabled(String id);
Holly molly, that's mod Christmas in advance!

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 04, 2015, 02:19:17 AM »

"Valhalla: improved accessibility of Ragnar Complex and nearby markets"

Also, assuming you added a warp point to the other star in the binary system?

It would be neat if there were a jump point inside the system from near Valhalla to near Ragnar. It would make Ragnar still feel remote even though it's accessible whereas a jump point from hyperspace wouldn't.
Huh - sounds a lot like how Lagrange points work in Aurora if I'm understanding you correctly.  Those would be cool.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #449 on: November 04, 2015, 03:50:18 AM »

It occurs to me that this scenario is possible in the monogamy event logic:

Faction A is friendly with Faction B.
Player is friendly with both Faction A and Faction B.
Faction A and Faction B are angry about this and both drop the player to Inhospitable.

Only cooperative seems to block it, which causes weird edge cases like this.
Yeah, I was gonna bring this up too.
Spoiler
Ideally it should modify the thresholds, reputation penalty and bribes needed based on the relationship between the two factions. Say:

Scenario 1:
A neutral with B
Player welcoming with B

Scenario 2:
A favorable with B
Player friendly with B

Scenario 3:
A favorable with B
Player welcoming with B

Scenarios 1 and 2 should have the same rep penalties and bribes required, and scenario 3 should have no investigation at all.

On the flip side, if A and B don't like each other the penalties/bribes should increase. The "welcoming or better" threshold should probably remain though; Tri-Tachyon shouldn't get yandere with you just because you have favorable status with the Luddic Church.
[close]

Also:
  • Maintaining positive reputation with more than one major faction (Diktat, Hegemony, Tri-Tachyon, Luddic Church) is not possible for very long; will eventually become hostile to all but one
I take this to mean the Persean League still isn't in the game. Whyyyyy? I want my space EU!  :(

(Also Sindrian Diktat as a "major" faction seems a bit odd; I always "read" them as a mere single-system polity of limited importance in the Sector's grand scheme of things. Looks like all the modders thought so too, given they don't give it any new markets like they do for Hegemony/TT/the Church. The more you know!)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:52:28 AM by Histidine »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90