Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574378 times)

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #420 on: November 02, 2015, 05:13:37 PM »

If I understand it correctly, it's kind of both. Starsector has high graphics overhead, so there is a lot of time spent in the graphics driver, which is CPU work but how efficient it is can depend on what GPU you have.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 02, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »

Since this is OpenGL, go with NVidia. Game doesn't run too well on most ATI cards since the 7XXX lineup.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 02, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »

That is quite true from first hand experience

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #423 on: November 02, 2015, 08:50:49 PM »

If I understand it correctly, it's kind of both. Starsector has high graphics overhead, so there is a lot of time spent in the graphics driver, which is CPU work but how efficient it is can depend on what GPU you have.

It's not your video card, it's your video driver that matters.  Starsector barely even scratches a modern GPU, but the CPU overhead is significant, and depends entirely on the driver.  NVidia's drivers are better, naturally.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 02, 2015, 09:23:07 PM »

It's not your video card, it's your video driver that matters.  Starsector barely even scratches a modern GPU, but the CPU overhead is significant, and depends entirely on the driver.  NVidia's drivers are better, naturally.
Except now when you have Win 10
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 03, 2015, 02:30:43 AM »

It's not your video card, it's your video driver that matters.

Well, yes, but what driver you have depends on what video card you have. Even within a single vendor; older cards stop getting updates after a while so they might not perform as newest models even if they have more than enough power. Although I'm not sure if any significant amount of work still goes into legacy OpenGL drivers.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 03, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »

Is there going to be a tutorial or some campaign help messages for the new features?

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 03, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »

Updated OP with another batch of notes.

Is there going to be a tutorial or some campaign help messages for the new features?

No, but there are lots of tooltips and in-context explanations for why things are happening (or aren't), so I'm hopeful that'll be sufficient.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 03, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »

Updated OP with another batch of notes.

No, but there are lots of tooltips and in-context explanations for why things are happening (or aren't), so I'm hopeful that'll be sufficient.
Oh, nice.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 03, 2015, 06:17:15 PM »

Navigation skill: now reduces burn level penalties from terrain by 5% per level <--- Is this a bonus or is it replacing the burn speed boost?
Helmsmanship level 5 perk: now grants maneuverability bonus instead of top speed with zero flux <--- No more zero speed flux boost at 20%? Why? And don't we already have another maneuverability skill/ perk?
Safety Overrides: now also extends overload duration by 50% <--- OUch, that's gonna hurt along with the high OP usage and its other drawbacks...
Curious about these

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 03, 2015, 06:20:32 PM »

Navigation skill: now reduces burn level penalties from terrain by 5% per level <--- Is this a bonus or is it replacing the burn speed boost?

Replacing.

Helmsmanship level 5 perk: now grants maneuverability bonus instead of top speed with zero flux <--- No more zero speed flux boost at 20%? Why? And don't we already have another maneuverability skill/ perk?

The level 5 perk was an extra +25 to the boost. Level 10 was the "have it at up to 25%".

Why? It was getting a bit out of hand with ships getting too much top speed and not enough acceleration. With AI controlled ships receiving these bonuses now, it was too much for it to handle.

Safety Overrides: now also extends overload duration by 50% <--- OUch, that's gonna hurt along with the high OP usage and its other drawbacks...

It's still really good. Had an Eagle in my fleet with SO and a dps-focused officer and, seriously, it made things disappear.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 03, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »

Hey, I wasn't expecting this.  Awesome!

"A chief investigator is assigned and can be talked to to resolve any misunderstandings"

Wait, if you can't be wrongly accused anymore (as per the change 2 lines above that), then what's the point of this?  Or is it just bribing the chief investigator?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 03, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »

Wait, if you can't be wrongly accused anymore (as per the change 2 lines above that), then what's the point of this?  Or is it just bribing the chief investigator?

That's just such a crass way of putting it. No one is bribing anyone!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 03, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »

Hehe, I understand. ;)

"Evenly-matched or weaker fleets may follow you around waiting for an opportunity instead of fleeing or ignoring your fleet"

I absolutely love this change!  Might make the fleets feel a lot more human - I do this pretty damn often myself.

"Added "radio chatter" sounds when near a market"

Beautiful!  Adds a bit of life to the system.

"Valhalla: improved accessibility of Ragnar Complex and nearby markets"

Also, assuming you added a warp point to the other star in the binary system?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:35:12 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 03, 2015, 06:59:50 PM »

"Valhalla: improved accessibility of Ragnar Complex and nearby markets"

Also, assuming you added a warp point to the other star in the binary system?

It would be neat if there were a jump point inside the system from near Valhalla to near Ragnar. It would make Ragnar still feel remote even though it's accessible whereas a jump point from hyperspace wouldn't.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 90