Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574492 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #330 on: October 20, 2015, 07:10:22 PM »

But... why? "Keeping customs inspections" is not a goal unto itself :) Yes, they could probably be remade into something else, but I'm instead choosing to take 'em out and put that time towards other stuff, of which there is a lot.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 20, 2015, 07:23:42 PM »

True it isn't a goal unto itself

The goal is to have a universe that feels alive, that you interact with it, and it interacts with you. When the customs inspectors ping you the universe is interacting with you and prompting you with gameplay choices. At the moment though the choices are fairly shallow.

I guess really just asking to keep or maintain game mechanics where you can interact with fleets in potentially non-combat scenarios and dialogue that lead to different gameplay choices.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 20, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »

Right, I totally see what you're saying. Thing is, there's now other stuff that serves the same purpose, e.g.:

You want to smuggle something. But, you want to keep the risks (and reputation penalties) low, so you need to go in with the transponder off. So, you try to do that, but a patrol spots you and goes after you. They tell you to turn your transponder on, and once you comply, they run a cargo scan and confiscate any contraband that's found.

It's basically the same feel - and I'd say a good deal more dynamic, as there's gameplay and ability use involved in trying to duck a patrol, and they choices you get along the way are more important - but it's a lot less complex. That's really the issue with inspections as they are, really complicated for what they do. That, and random.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 20, 2015, 10:24:06 PM »

The new ACG is wonderful change. Its a secret buff to hound and Cerberus. Slab heavy armor and a dual machine gun with ACG on it and give it an aggressive captain. I imagine two of these can totally shred an enforcer in no time.

Tho I do have to argue that the ACG need more accuracy.

The biggest reason is visually its would make more sense, as right now the projectiles shoot off at too much of an angle and it just feel video game-y.
The increased accuracy would also not but a buff but often as a nerf on AI. As alot of the times the in-inaccuracies are what allows the AI to hit small targets to compensate for shot leading changes, and ACG is a prime example of this.
Also this rewards more precise aiming : A well placed volly can rip apart a hound or a warthog, or a bad volly can miss every shot; Instead as of current state of just shoot in the direction it will basically turn out the same.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 20, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »

You want to smuggle something. But, you want to keep the risks (and reputation penalties) low, so you need to go in with the transponder off. So, you try to do that, but a patrol spots you and goes after you. They tell you to turn your transponder on, and once you comply, they run a cargo scan and confiscate any contraband that's found.

If the player ship spotted then it works the same as now I take it? As in they ping, follow you, and you will be blocked from accessing the market until you comply or they disengage.
If so what happens if you keep running? Currently you take a rep loss after the second message, is that still in even with the transponder off?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 20, 2015, 10:38:03 PM »

The biggest reason is visually its would make more sense, as right now the projectiles shoot off at too much of an angle and it just feel video game-y.
The increased accuracy would also not but a buff but often as a nerf on AI. As alot of the times the in-inaccuracies are what allows the AI to hit small targets to compensate for shot leading changes, and ACG is a prime example of this.
Also this rewards more precise aiming : A well placed volly can rip apart a hound or a warthog, or a bad volly can miss every shot; Instead as of current state of just shoot in the direction it will basically turn out the same.

I might agree with you if its range wasn't also reduced. At that range, its inaccuracy doesn't matter very much. (As far as the AI, due to improved target leading with time-spent-firing-on-target, I think that rather changes it up.)

If the player ship spotted then it works the same as now I take it? As in they ping, follow you, and you will be blocked from accessing the market until you comply or they disengage.
If so what happens if you keep running? Currently you take a rep loss after the second message, is that still in even with the transponder off?

If you keep running, they'll keep looking for you. You won't be able to get into the market (except for comms) unless you've lost the patrols for a little while (about a day). The cargo scan etc is different than the customs inspection - it's all done in one go without a progress bar.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 21, 2015, 11:53:30 AM »

not sure if this is the right thread for it, but since it has already been mentioned:
The logical place for Hull mods to appear (regardless of whether they're built-in or not) would be the codex.
i would also really like to see this. i remember checking the codex for hullmod descriptions when i played for the first time, and being rather confused about not finding any. making decisions about where to spend your skill points is difficult when all you can see is the name of unlocked hullmods, without any kind of further information.

some hullmods, like Heavy Armor or Expanded Missile Racks are mostly self-eplanatory (although being able to check the exact numbers would still be nice) but what Advanced Optics or Resistant Flux Conduits do, or where the difference between Front Shield Generator and Front Shield Emitter lies is much less clear.

using the mission's refit screen works, but it's not something that is obvious at all to new players. and having to exist to the main menu, looking for a mission with a ship of the right size (and, in case of some mods, right faction) and then loading into the campaign again can get rather annoying.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #337 on: October 21, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »

IMO the name Front Shield Generator should be Shield Generator, if that's the one that adds shield to non-shielded one.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 21, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »

IMO the name Front Shield Generator should be Shield Generator, if that's the one that adds shield to non-shielded one.

I think its good as is; it's clear that it adds a Front shield and not an Omni one.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 21, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »

I can never remember which is which.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 21, 2015, 09:44:06 PM »

@Sy: That's a fair point, but I don't want to mess with the Codex right now given that I'll probably (very likely, even) need to revamp it extensively at some point anyway.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2015, 05:55:37 AM »

Speaking of the codex, keyboard navigation would be nice.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 22, 2015, 02:35:56 PM »

Speaking of the codex, keyboard navigation would be nice.

+1

Especially when the mods start stacking hundred of ships/weapons in the codex.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 22, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »

I can never remember which is which.
i don't have trouble (anymore) remembering what each does, but maybe just calling the Emitter something along the lines of Front Shield Conversion / Converter would be better.

@Sy: That's a fair point, but I don't want to mess with the Codex right now given that I'll probably (very likely, even) need to revamp it extensively at some point anyway.
ah, okay :]

Solinarius

• Lieutenant
  • Wind. Fire. All that kind of thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 23, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »

I only just noticed that fleet limitation change. Seems like a good idea. Also, difficulty options are seemingly meant to be sparse but I think it'd be great to allow the player to customize the maximum A.I. fleet size at the start of a game. Say, 20-30?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 90