Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574333 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #285 on: October 19, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »

Ah, Megas going off with his Cruisers and Capture orders.  I feel like it would make the game a lot more flexible, even if it's not used by too many people.  Simply adds more possibilities and eliminates the moments of frustration when the throws you a curve ball like that.
It would make a cruiser-only fleet easier to use, especially if I use Falcons as scouts.  And sometimes, I would like a cruiser to go to a point and steal it from puny enemy ships, if the cruiser is fast and close enough, or is the only other ship I have on the map.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 19, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »

I think, especially with the buff to the Falcon, the Capture order for Cruisers does need to be applied.  The Falcon is quick (quicker than some destroyers), and being able to assign it to a capture order would be really nice.  So I wholeheartedly agree. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 19, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »

Re: cruisers - done.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 19, 2015, 06:53:24 PM »

Safety Override is intriguing me! Any preliminary numbers on how large the speed and flux bonuses are? Between aggressive captains and tooling out ships to ride in and blast away, I can really imagine the "Assault" role coming into its own.

Speaking of wish list items; did you ever get around to tweaking the AI to improve fast ships getting away from slower ships when ordered? I kind of remember you saying something but can't seem to find it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 19, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »

Safety Override is intriguing me! Any preliminary numbers on how large the speed and flux bonuses are? Between aggressive captains and tooling out ships to ride in and blast away, I can really imagine the "Assault" role coming into its own.

Speed: +50/30/20. Flux dissipation: multiplied by a factor of 2, which means the bonus from adding vents (or anything else, such as skills) is doubled as well.

Speaking of wish list items; did you ever get around to tweaking the AI to improve fast ships getting away from slower ships when ordered? I kind of remember you saying something but can't seem to find it.

Yes, that should be much more reliable. They'll open up a safe distance and circle around it. There's also the new "avoid" order for when you just want everyone to keep away from something.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 19, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »

Holy sht, that Safety Override is going to be powerful.  Doubled flux dissipation that stacks with skills?

I can't wait to try that out on a Blackrock ship.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 19, 2015, 07:25:38 PM »

^Might use the built-in hullmod to block it, I think it would be a serious no-brainer on almost all brdy ships. A trade-off more suited for them could probably be implemented in a different hullmod.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 19, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »

Re: cruisers - done.
Thanks.  This should be fun.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 19, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »

^Might use the built-in hullmod to block it, I think it would be a serious no-brainer on almost all brdy ships. A trade-off more suited for them could probably be implemented in a different hullmod.

Why particularly for BRDY? High flux stats?

There is the 0.33 peak time multiplier as a tradeoff, plus the high OP cost. (Still not entirely sure it's adequate, btw. Might further reduce the peak time multiplier for destroyers and cruisers.)

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 19, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »

Dear lordy, that Safety Override! I already play a very destroyer-heavy charge-the-enemy-style fleet with Augmented Engines almost across the board... I can't wait to see what I can do with this instead on ships that don't need the burn boost!

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2015, 07:34:22 PM »

Auto-resolving pursuit: greatly increased effectiveness
Best change of 0.7a hands down.

Fighting a faction's enemies in their system will no longer improve reputation with them
I do wonder what's the rationalization behind this change though..
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:37:09 PM by JohnDoe »

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 19, 2015, 07:45:37 PM »

Why particularly for BRDY? High flux stats?

There is the 0.33 peak time multiplier as a tradeoff, plus the high OP cost.

Brdy ships vent faster by default, have good flux stats and bad shields. Can usually mount lots of guns too. So I think you could make some broken vent spam loadouts, to the point where "should i vent or not" becomes a meaningless choice, and you can already be pretty lax about it in brdy ships

The OP cost and peak time is a nasty drawback though, nothing's known until hands-on.

(Still not entirely sure it's adequate, btw. Might further reduce the peak time multiplier for destroyers and cruisers.)

Safety Override makes me think ships would get slapped hard for overloading. Maybe add chance suffer weap/engine chokes when overloaded? Much more dangerous to suffer that in a cruiser or destroyer, and a really unappealing drawback. Otoh having bad peak time in a cruiser sounds bad enough in itself.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:47:53 PM by Cycerin »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 19, 2015, 07:55:32 PM »

Fighting a faction's enemies in their system will no longer improve reputation with them

A couple pages back:

What does "their" system mean here, the system of the hostile faction or of the faction you want to impress?

The one you want to impress. Basically thinking that "helping allies in battle" replaces this.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 19, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »

Doing much the same job as helping their fleets in battle, more or less.

Edit: ninja'ed.

Safety Override makes me think ships would get slapped hard for overloading. Maybe add chance suffer weap/engine chokes when overloaded? Much more dangerous to suffer that in a cruiser or destroyer, and a really unappealing drawback. Otoh having bad peak time in a cruiser sounds bad enough in itself.

Hmm, yeah. Something like increasing the overload duration by 50-100% might do the trick - that way it's still down to player skill to avoid it, and feels in line with the general feel of the mod. Liking this, might just put a 50% in and see how it feels. It's a delicate line to walk - I don't want the mod to be the go-to for everything, but at the same time wouldn't want it to be DOA either.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 19, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »

It's a cool hullmod and I'm glad you added it. Kinks could be ironed out over time, for now, the OP cost is prohibitive enough that you can't have your cake and eat it too. How is the engine glow implemented by the way?

E: Emp arcs that deal damage to the ship while it's overloaded is also a cool idea, SS+'s Excelsior frigate does this as a drawback : ) I'd rather be dead in 10 secs than eat an eternal overload of 24 secs and then die because I couldn't block a single Harpoon with my omnishield.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:28:44 PM by Cycerin »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 90