Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574488 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #270 on: October 19, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »

So much cool stuff in this patch. I was skeptical about the Assault Chaingun change but decided to try it out changing the stats of the current one (I assume you upped shot dmg to 60 and flux, not increasing ROF) and it's actually a more viable weapon in every way. Of course it's better at killing smaller targets that have smaller flux pools than you, but it's def. amazing in player hands. Might be worth it on something like a super-high end Brawler with an Aggressive officer.

I really wish there was more frigs with oversize weapon mounts. A high end assault frigate with better PD than the Brawler (eg. Any PD At All)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »

Oh, interesting. Is this absolute (you can get an officer with skill XY only from faction YZ) or just a probability modifier? Does this affect the officers of the factions own fleets, too?

It's not skills - it's the probability for them to have a specific personality, which is one of timid/cautious/steady/aggressive.

Looking forward to testing that combination extensively.

The default "Balanced" Hammerhead is already making use of it, and it feels so much more effective than before. I'm sure there are a number of good ways to kit it out!

Also, can we get a sneak preview of one of the new sprites? Pretty please? :)

Attaching a screenshot of the new Enforcer; for bonus points it's got SO installed, which you can see from the color of the engine flames.

(I assume you upped shot dmg to 60 and flux, not increasing ROF)

Yep.

I really wish there was more frigs with oversize weapon mounts. A high end assault frigate with better PD than the Brawler (eg. Any PD At All)

Hmm. I actually kind of want more frigates with *just* small slots. It feels like small weapons don't get as much of a chance to shine as primary armament, which they're certainly capable of.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »

"Hammer torpedoes" eh? I guess i can safely say that one of the large missile weapon will be an equivalent to the cyclone but with those new torpedoes.

I also see that the Enforcer got the Eagle treatment as well.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 19, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »

Will Unstable Injectors and Augmented Engines also modify engine glows?

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 19, 2015, 04:12:05 PM »

Hmm. I actually kind of want more frigates with *just* small slots. It feels like small weapons don't get as much of a chance to shine as primary armament, which they're certainly capable of.
Huh, interesting.  I mean, three of my four favorite frigate setups are on ships with all small weapons, and there is something very fun about the closer engagement range and multi-weapon pew-pew-pewing those ships facilitate.  I'd be in favor of more small-weapon ships.

Five internet points say Hammer Torpedoes have knockback?

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 19, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »

I'm a big fan of frigates with all small mounts. Especially with lots of ballistic rapid fire weapons *drools slightly*

Hem, yes well. The plentiful machine-guns make for excellent viewing

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 19, 2015, 04:32:49 PM »

Re: Small slots
Depends on the weapons the small slots can use.  Railgun and needler are great, but needs a similarly long-ranged HE or big damage energy weapon to complement it, and there are not any such small non-kinetic weapons of matching range (missiles do not count because they have low ammo).  LAG is decent.  Energy weapons are either too short-ranged (bolts) or hard-countered by shields (beams) if not backed up by other weapons.

Currently, speed and shot range are among the most important combat stats (for those who want to solo fleets with smaller ships), and medium and large ballistics are the best at shot range.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 19, 2015, 04:53:29 PM »

Re: Small slots
Depends on the weapons the small slots can use.  Railgun and needler are great, but needs a similarly long-ranged HE or big damage energy weapon to complement it, and there are not any such small non-kinetic weapons of matching range (missiles do not count because they have low ammo).  LAG is decent.  Energy weapons are either too short-ranged (bolts) or hard-countered by shields (beams) if not backed up by other weapons.

Currently, speed and shot range are among the most important combat stats (for those who want to solo fleets with smaller ships), and medium and large ballistics are the best at shot range.
Yeah, one of the chief impediments to using small weapons is the difficulty pairing them longer-range (generally kinetic) options with good finishing weapons.  There's definitely a hole in weapon options for mid-long range HE... but I'm kinda torn as to if that hole should be filled.  At least when playing with mods on that fill in most holes, that is one I still have to keep in mind and work with.

MY three fits, for anyone curious, are x2 Railgun x3 IR Pulse Laser x1 Reaper Alastor (should really try upgrading to Light Needlers, but I love this setup), x2 Dual Light AC x2 Light Assault Gun x1 Shredder MG x2 Sabot Rack Lasher, and x4 Shard Gun Phalanx.  The Phalanx was a real surprise for me, but the slight anti-armor ability of the Shard Gun let's it work its way through even "heavy" frigate armor, and after that it does tons of damage to hull.  With it's efficient kinetic damage, it can tear shields down and afford the flux to keep them down until the target is just plain dead.  Augmented Engines are a must.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 19, 2015, 05:32:38 PM »

"Hammer torpedoes" eh?

I wonder if they might be kinetic torps given the sprite and name.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 19, 2015, 05:50:46 PM »

It says they do HE damage in the screenshot though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 19, 2015, 05:51:12 PM »

Will Unstable Injectors and Augmented Engines also modify engine glows?

No - the point here isn't that SO gets a custom glow because it's an engine mod, but because it's super important and needs to be called out visually somehow.

They're low-tier HE torpedoes. More damage than a Harpoon, unguided, and 2 OP for the 2 missiles.

Yeah, one of the chief impediments to using small weapons is the difficulty pairing them longer-range (generally kinetic) options with good finishing weapons.  There's definitely a hole in weapon options for mid-long range HE... but I'm kinda torn as to if that hole should be filled.  At least when playing with mods on that fill in most holes, that is one I still have to keep in mind and work with.

That's actually pretty intentional. Not to say that there's nothing that'll eventually fit the bill, but needing to close in to deal armor damage is an intended effect. With larger slots, that doesn't pan out because the ships involved may be faced with faster targets more often, and it's not anything like a hard-and-fast design rule, but that was the initial thought process behind it.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 19, 2015, 06:02:41 PM »

Neat...am I reading this right, you can now engage two different fleets at the same time? Or is it just two fleets fight and you get to choose which you engage, and you have time to pick rather than it being insta decided. The reason i ask...it says friendly fire hurts rep, which means friendly NPC ships must be in combat...that would be great but I doubt I'm reading it right...

Two thoughts

Built-in hullmods (Flux Shunt, Repair Gantry, etc) no longer show up in mission refit

The refit screen was my go to way of finding out what built in hull mods do. How do we do that now? Perhaps rather than eliminating them you could give them a special font or something...I dunno

Secondly - no love for fighters!? Booo. In the future could you put in an order where they rally to a new target with no regard for their own safety, basically they disengage and make a beeline back to the carrier or whereever even if it's directly through enemy flakka dakka, would be useful if you need to emergency rally fast fighters to defend a target that's suddenly become vulnerable, or to suicide attack a critical enemy.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 19, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »

With Safety Override hullmod and officers that can get Helmsmanship 10 (and Falcon getting more mounts to be competitive), cruisers can be optimized to be seriously fast.  Can we have cruisers obey the Capture order?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 19, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »

Built-in hullmods (Flux Shunt, Repair Gantry, etc) no longer show up in mission refit

The refit screen was my go to way of finding out what built in hull mods do. How do we do that now? Perhaps rather than eliminating them you could give them a special font or something...I dunno

The logical place for Hull mods to appear (regardless of whether they're built-in or not) would be the codex.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 19, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »

Neat...am I reading this right, you can now engage two different fleets at the same time? Or is it just two fleets fight and you get to choose which you engage, and you have time to pick rather than it being insta decided. The reason i ask...it says friendly fire hurts rep, which means friendly NPC ships must be in combat...that would be great but I doubt I'm reading it right...
Read the blog post and the ensuing conversations to answer that. :)

Put short, the enemy chooses if they want to engage you with more than one fleet at a time if multiple fleets are close enough.  You have no choice in the matter.

Ah, Megas going off with his Cruisers and Capture orders.  I feel like it would make the game a lot more flexible, even if it's not used by too many people.  Simply adds more possibilities and eliminates the moments of frustration when the throws you a curve ball like that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 06:22:22 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 90