Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 578213 times)

Shedovv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »

Right. It's just the game's way of saying, "don't have that many ships, ok?" Intentionally gamey and without any in-lore justification. It's a small and clear rule, and seems a fair tradeoff for the amount of cleanup it allows. It *is* configurable through settings.json, though.

Dayum, this was on page 8 and I got into it from page 9. Well that's alrighty then.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:37 AM »

*reads about hard cap on fleet size*

Can that stuff be edited via fiddling with game files? If not then I have another question.

Can I get a refund? I didn't buy this game to run tiny it's bitsy fleets. I always go big. D:

Considering how you can mod almost everything in the entire game to your liking (you can even re-activated old and now-unused features again, just like how it was with ammo), it's very likely that you can adjust this yourself somehow.

However, it sounded like it was some sort of UI-restriction, so it might be that the ships you have beyond the cap are not visible in all parts of the UI (the 'main' fleet window probably won't show them, but the old refit-list where you can just scroll up and down should still work for them).

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »

The main fleet window can already show 30+ ships, I am 100% sure that won't change.

And, as Alex has already said:
Fleet size hard-limited to 25 ships total
I really hope this is amenable to a mod-side variable change. 

As I mentioned in one of my previous, it is - a value in settings.json.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2015, 09:26:29 PM »

25 ships max!? How ever will I hound the biggest fleets to death solely with hounds if I can't outnumber their ships 5-1!? 

On a more serious note, I am very much hyped for all the things that will be added with the upcoming update. Just can't wait to be kiiiiiing?! to see them in action.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2015, 01:23:26 AM »

You guys do realize with more then 40 ships from both sides the game will already grind to a halt and become unplayable right?

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2015, 02:51:45 AM »

You say that like I haven't already reached such numbers in previous save-games, at least with my own fleet. Frigate swarms are my favorite thing to do in starsector.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2015, 05:19:10 AM »

I have used 40+ frigate hordes before and I get minor slowdown.  Much rather have minor slowdown than a frigate horde made unviable due to pesky battle size limit.  (I do not like frigate hordes for their sake, I like them because they are the most powerful fleet in the game except Atlas fleet in trade runs.)

What slows my computer most is if I have a carrier fleet filled mostly of Talon wings.  More annoying is they are nowhere near as effective as a frigate horde.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2015, 08:33:15 AM »

You guys do realize with more then 40 ships from both sides the game will already grind to a halt and become unplayable right?

I just got a new computer. Excuse me while I go queue up a 100 ship battle. 8) :P

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »

Well, for comparison, I have an overclocked i7 5960X and can just barely average 60 fps in a size-400 battle involving about 45 ships total at any given time (bunched together in a full-on melee).

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »

Well, for comparison, I have an overclocked i7 5960X and can just barely average 60 fps in a size-400 battle involving about 45 ships total at any given time (bunched together in a full-on melee).

I was exaggerating, of course. Right in the thick of things in an 800 DP battle (about 76 ships and 62 individual fighters) I saw drops down to at least 30 fps when there was probably about 20 ships and fighters on screen with associated projectiles. However, when there weren't so many ships on screen I had a solid 60 fps, so I'm pretty sure most performance drops are on the GPU's end rather than the CPU's. Although, I have a GeForce GTX 970, so maybe the trouble with rendering at 60 fps is on the game engine's end, but that's wild speculation on my part.

Spoiler
Or maybe it isn't... Alex, do I correctly recall you saying that the game throttles down to 30 fps under certain conditions or am I going crazier than usual?
[close]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2015, 02:39:20 PM »

Or maybe it isn't... Alex, do I correctly recall you saying that the game throttles down to 30 fps under certain conditions or am I going crazier than usual?

It goes to 30 when it can't hit 60 - you're pretty unlikely to hit a steady frame rate that's >30 and <60. If it drops below 30, the game enters a slow-time mode where the engine advances by 1/30th of a second each frame regardless of how long it actually took. So if you're at 15 fps, it would run at half speed.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »

The GPU is not your bottleneck.  Additional OpenGL rendering calls are pinning your CPU for more than your GPU.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »

The GPU is not your bottleneck.  Additional OpenGL rendering calls are pinning your CPU for more than your GPU.

Okay. I can see how getting that thrown at the CPU on top of everything else would cause slowdown. :)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 02, 2015, 02:09:55 AM »

So what is so taxing on CPU? AI?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 02, 2015, 05:55:35 AM »

Generally for these kinds of games it's path finding (which includes regular collision avoidance checks), regular hit detection checks for every projectile currently in flight, regular aiming calculations for every weapon all of which feeds back into the AI deciding what to do on a regular basis. The more objects the more stuff there is to check and it scales upwards pretty hard.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 90