Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574344 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »

Yet another Pilum nerf, though? 50 HP... they are gonna be swatted away with even more ease. Is their original speed going to be brought back?

What is the new aiming mechanic meant to reinforce or discourage? Seems like its a ploy to further reduce "kiting" effectivness.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »

The space has been recycled for sensor widgets; not a pixel wasted. Well, not strictly recycled as the widget got rearranged, but you get the idea :)

Picture please?  :)

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2015, 12:10:41 PM »

cool patch notes but "Fleet size hard-limited to 25 ships total" why?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »

I'd guess because with logistic costs gone, there's nothing else to stop you from getting an unlimited number of ships. 

I hope that limit is handled like cargo/crew, i.e. it can be surpassed but only at logarithmically increasing penalty costs.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »

I'm happy to hear about the autofire aim getting better the longer it fires at a target, and then resetting. Its always glaringly obvious in games when the computer fails to improve its aim after consistently missing by the exact same amount :P.

Logistics is gone! Interesting. I'm curious about the 25 ship hard limit - any plans to put that under a skill? (I know, skills are subject to a retuning pass SoonTm)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »

I'm guessing that hard limit will be moddable or configurable in some way because, you know, reasons, bigger battles etc PC Master race superiority complex.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »

Yet another Pilum nerf, though? 50 HP... they are gonna be swatted away with even more ease. Is their original speed going to be brought back?

I like where their speed is at. They're meant to be a support weapon, with effectiveness mostly coming from splitting the enemy's attention rather than scoring direct hits. The nerf is mainly so that lower-quality PD is able to stand up to larger number of pilums - LMGs, various PD lasers, etc. Might end up tweaking it more depending on how it goes, though.

What is the new aiming mechanic meant to reinforce or discourage? Seems like its a ploy to further reduce "kiting" effectivness.
I'm happy to hear about the autofire aim getting better the longer it fires at a target, and then resetting. Its always glaringly obvious in games when the computer fails to improve its aim after consistently missing by the exact same amount :P.

Yes, that. Think of it less as "new mechanic" and more "AI improvement".

I'd guess because with logistic costs gone, there's nothing else to stop you from getting an unlimited number of ships. 

Right. It's just the game's way of saying, "don't have that many ships, ok?" Intentionally gamey and without any in-lore justification. It's a small and clear rule, and seems a fair tradeoff for the amount of cleanup it allows. It *is* configurable through settings.json, though.

I hope that limit is handled like cargo/crew, i.e. it can be surpassed but only at logarithmically increasing penalty costs.

Logistics is gone! Interesting. I'm curious about the 25 ship hard limit - any plans to put that under a skill? (I know, skills are subject to a retuning pass SoonTm)

It's not - I don't want to tie any mechanics to this. I mean, LR was exactly that very thing, and the point here was to remove it because it wasn't pulling its weight.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2015, 01:05:27 PM »

I assume 25 ships is a player-only restriction.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »

•Augmented Engines: burn speed increase reduced to 1, now also reduces sensor strength by 50%/increases sensor profile by 50%, removed capacity penalty
-50% sensors?  Does that mean my ship's base visibility is cut in half?  If so, that seems too much.  I understand extra profile (due to brighter monster-sized engine), but going blind too... sounds crippling.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »

•Augmented Engines: burn speed increase reduced to 1, now also reduces sensor strength by 50%/increases sensor profile by 50%, removed capacity penalty
-50% sensors?  Does that mean my ship's base visibility is cut in half?  If so, that seems too much.  I understand extra profile (due to brighter monster-sized engine), but going blind too... sounds crippling.

I think the assumption is you off-set it with sensor-carrying ships like the apogee or omen.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »

Super fast frigate fleets getting brought down a peg or two. Cruisers and Caps getting some lovin' this patch. :D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »

I dislike the Omen (ugly piece of junk that cannot fight), and I am not too fond of the Apogee (slow, ugly, but effective), like it needed yet another way to trump the Aurora (useless other than Reaper spam).

EDIT:  If the visibility penalty is too harsh, I might end up taking Unstable Injector again.  Similar to the time when Augmented Engines had double repair times, which was a much worse penalty than Unstable Injectors x4 damage to engines (because engines flameout after a big hit anyway, and repair time is more important).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:50:27 PM by Megas »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »

I assume 25 ships is a player-only restriction.

Yeah, it's only enforced in the UI.

Sensor strength doesn't linearly translate into sensor range - it's a more involved formula. Reducing the sensor strength of a destroyer by 50% cuts its effective range by something like 15-20%. Likewise, having two destroyers doesn't double the effective sensor range, even though it doubles the sensor strength - that'd get out of hand very quickly, if it did.

The actual sensor range is displayed in the UI, since that's the more interesting stat, and you can see how changing your fleet composition affects it.

(Abilities, on the other hand, mostly affect range, both sensor and "detected at", those being fleet-level stats.)

The space has been recycled for sensor widgets; not a pixel wasted. Well, not strictly recycled as the widget got rearranged, but you get the idea :)

Picture please?  :)

Not quite ready for primetime - need some new graphics.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2015, 02:14:51 PM »

Liking most of these.  Not sure about the sabot going single-shot again; I rather liked the spray effect, and would have just given them salamander-style regeneration instead of making them viable anti-armor weapons.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's just... they're supposed to be shield-breakers. Can't really do that without also giving them a chance to cause overloads - i.e. fast enough that the AI can't always react. And once you have something like that, regen doesn't feel right.

That doesn't really relate to one-shot vs spray, though. That's more of an aesthetic/subjective choice for me - it just feels better to use, and matches the weapon art. It's also a bit of a buff, sort of like ammo regen would be for the spray version. Similar end result, I think, in terms of usefulness.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »

Sabots need to do some damage to armor or hull.  Currently, with the spray Sabot, almost any ship can drop shields and tank a Sabot spray for insignificant damage.  With the old 750 sabot, a hit to hull (or even armor if thin enough) will hurt, if the ship drops shields.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 90